Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First test? Audi RS4 vs. BMW M5

Yeah, now me has also read the two Swedish tests (AMS & TV) and they do indeed make very entertaining and flattering reading - on top of the full Autocar solo road test - for a soon to become RS4 man. It is worth nothing that the Swedish press RS4 car had the heavier S4-like Recaros and the quoted 1870kg weight includes driver and some stuff.

The acceleration performance is delightfully better than than I had expected from power-to-weight especially as the engine does not quite live up to the quoted numbers - TV reckons 403PS from engine and AMS 349PS at wheels from the same test car with only 1000+km mileage as discussed earlier.

But: fact remains that the RS4 is pretty heavy and more diet would be in order...

as a swede I have read both tests and finds it very weird! Correct me if I'm wrong ...but didn't the 996 turbo do 0-100 in 4,5 and 0-200 in 15? It has more tq than the RS4 and the same hp and atleast 100 kg lighter (probably more) ...still same acc? that seems Impossible if the RS4 only has 350 hp on the wheels! 996 turbo has way more than that! And also better CW ...noo I'd go for 390+ on the wheels!

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    even though the Audi wins..

This test is kind of like apples to oranges...

M5 is a very different car with a very different target market...

M5 would be competing with new RS6...

and RS4 would be competing with new M3...

but I guess they compare M5 and RS4 for now... since the M3 and RS6 havent come out yet..

still apples to oranges though...

next RS6 should OWN the M5...

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    Originally posted by buyalemon
    as a swede I have read both tests and finds it very weird! Correct me if I'm wrong ...but didn't the 996 turbo do 0-100 in 4,5 and 0-200 in 15? It has more tq than the RS4 and the same hp and atleast 100 kg lighter (probably more) ...still same acc? that seems Impossible if the RS4 only has 350 hp on the wheels! 996 turbo has way more than that! And also better CW ...noo I'd go for 390+ on the wheels!
    gear ratios have ALOT to do with 0-60 times....

Yes the RS4 is too heavy. I hope Audi takes a leaf out of BMW book for once and try to use as much alloy as possible to the like of the front, rear and roof.

One thing a will agree with the report, the RS4 has the better engine. All those years at Le Mans have paid off.

In a few of years, the diesel RS4 will leave all comers - the black smoke will mask it's path.
    Search and you will find the truth.

yeah gearing plays a part ...don't know anything about RS4 rearing! But to keep up with the turbo to 200 is great!

Another thing ...E39 M5 had 367 hp on the wheels and did 0-200 in 18 sec? To me the RS4 is too fast for only 350 on the wheels!
    3 sec faster to 200 tith equal weight is muchos

Originally posted by AudiTumbo
    Okay, I bought the magazine this week, since this is the test I've been waiting for so much!

I have to say, that being an Audi fan right now is fantastic!

I just have a big smile reading the test, cause they don't complain a single word of the Audi. They just say amazing words after another.

For example, the RS4 got better grade then the M5 on engine & handling!!!

Audi RS4 is the car that sets a new mark for Audi.
    Sweet. A scan (if possible) would be much appreciated.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan