• Kawasaki

8 11.59%
  • Suzuki

17 24.64%
  • Yamaha

23 33.33%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan sport bikes

Unfortunately, the last couple of days haven't been ideal bike weather... high 30's when I leave with light rain... it's dang cold in the morning (5:45am) going 80mph on the freeway when it's not even 40 degrees out... but then, could be worse, it could be below freezing and ice on the road (not much of that in So Cal...) so always look on the bright side I guess.

I bought this bike for commuting rain or shine, and that is the way it shall stay. On a plus, it doesn't even take $10.00 to fill up a bone dry tank and it's a fantastic feeling to pass all the cars stuck dead in traffic.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

This thread got me thinking and fancied a change, so made some decisions, trading in the Jap for a hot italian.

The Veradero is out, in with the Aprilia MX 125.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?so...aprilia+mx+125

Ah Klint... I see you're going the path of the Mottard. How very sensible of you. I was debating one as well, something a little more praticle like the 07' Suzuki DR-Z400SM in black, not Italian, but Freeway capable.

What is the cruising speed of the Aprilia MX 125?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Ah Klint... I see you're going the path of the Mottard. How very sensible of you. I was debating one as well, something a little more praticle like the 07' Suzuki DR-Z400SM in black, not Italian, but Freeway capable.

What is the cruising speed of the Aprilia MX 125?

Ben
    Ben,

Haven't ridden it yet. Getting it in de-restricted form. 33hp, instead of 11hp. Take delivery later this week, the bike is new/unused but is a 2005 model and it's a two stroke so will need some running in....Have heard it'll top out at 110mph no problems. Cruising? No chance here Ben!

Will post pics.

De-restricted... ah... so you have the same laws as UK, New Zealand and Australia?

You know, that is not such a bad idea. I voluntarily went the 250cc route before moving on to a bigger, faster bike (despite previously owning a 600), but most first time bikers just want the coolest thing they can buy on two wheels. Next thing you know, they're riding Hayabusas and two weeks later, are either so scared speechless they turn it in and never ride again, or something bad happens and saddly never get the chance to ride again (i.e. dead).

A required "learning" period similar to the UK and such would actually work well, but then, I've never been a big advocate of government intervention.

Please post pics and impressions as I'd like to see more of it and hear how you like it. As for my lil' 250, I already have 800 miles in the week and a half I've had it. Great commuter. Can easily keep up with the traffic here (80+mph) and because it is so darn tiny, lane splitting is a breeze (I laugh my butt off at the struggling big Harleys! ). However, it is pretty stressed at anything over 85... 10K rpm for 85mph! I've seen an indicated 100mph but I've heard the speedo is about 10% generous...

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

That's cool, Ben. Sounds good.

Have read a couple times of novice riders jumping on R6s and the likes with no other experience had. This sounded insane, when i first started to read it on the forums. But only in America! Then again, every road is straight out there.

Our laws are similar to the UK, not exactly the same but different in certain ways.

How's comfort on your bike? 800 miles in 10 or so days is some mileage!

Quote Originally Posted by Klint View Post
    Then again, every road is straight out there.

How's comfort on your bike? 800 miles in 10 or so days is some mileage!
    Comfort is pretty good. The seat isn't that bad for my 35 mile each way commute. If my commute was longer, like 80 miles or more, then it might be an issue. I bought the bike in Buena Park which is @ 65 miles away (only place that had a freakin' black one!). During that ride, I was still very comfortable considering the seat is just a cheapo factory deal. Throttle hand gets a little numb after a while from all the buzzing, but not too bad.

The only real comfort issue is wind. Man, the lil' Ninja 250 does not like wind. At freeway speeds here, it starts moving around and getting a tad touchy. Keep in mind, although the Ninja claims a top speed of 105mph (and I believe it), I would not do that speed for long. The bike's areodynamics are nearly 20 years old... and it shows. At 0-60mph, the bike is very stable. As you near 70mph, the wind starts to play a bigger part. At 80mph, it starts moving around a little. At 90mph, HOLD ON TIGHT! . My 92 Katana 600 was much more stable at those speeds so I really think the old plastics play a big part (that, and the light weight). But it is still a blast.

Yes, 800 miles in 10 days is a lot. As I mentioned in previous posts, I put a lot of miles on vehicles (realize that America is the land of "suburbia" so long commutes are the norm rather than the exception). My commute is rather short compared to other "suburbians". Some friends of mine travel 200 miles every day to get to and from work!!! Hence, if I used my RS 6 as a "everyday" car, it would easily have 115K-120K by now... and I didn't want that.

Ben

P.S. Andy, thanks for starting this thread!
    Ron Paul Fan

Surprised about the comfort, my backside always use to hurt like a bitch once i hopped off a bike after a 100mile ride back in the days.

A couple painkillers were called for prior to a LONG road trip of 40miles lol! And that was on a so called comfortable commuter with wider Renthal bars to suit my build better. That was the Honda Cityfly 125.

America is a big big place! Remember visiting relative in Germany, road trips use to last for ages!

Surprised about the comfort, my backside always use to hurt like a bitch once i hopped off a bike after a 100mile ride back in the days.

Now that you mention it, I do kinda feel it on my lower back a little... not too bad though. Mostly that goes away after more time (sort of like working out) as you're using muscles not normally used. In time, you don't even feel it.

Right now, my biggest complaint is the dang cold. Below freezing in the mornings on the way to work is not too fun!

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

P.S. Andy, thanks for starting this thread!
    No need to thank me...

I'm more than happy to see that we have more than one ''two wheell lovers'' here!

Now that you mention it, I do kinda feel it on my lower back a little... not too bad though. Mostly that goes away after more time (sort of like working out) as you're using muscles not normally used. In time, you don't even feel it.

Right now, my biggest complaint is the dang cold. Below freezing in the mornings on the way to work is not too fun!

Ben
    Yeah, takes a while to get use to such things!

Nuts that your going out in the bad weather, the dealership can't deliver the MX untill he's had a roadtest, weather's too bad for the roadtest so delivery has been delayed...

delivery has been delayed...
    Well that sucks! How much of "delay"? Couple of days or couple of weeks?

Thinking... man, this is getting harder to choose...

CBR1000RR
    CBR600RR
    VFR800
    GSXR750
    Daytona 675...

The Triumph is getting rave reviews and it would be nice to have something different...

What do you guys think between those choices?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Ben,

CBR600RR gets my vote.

Looks like today is gonna be the day for delivery, should be sweet.

Bike's arrived, need to get use to kick start and the digital dash. Also have to adjust the throttle cable as tick over is too low and causes the engine to stall, have also noticed a couple bolts missing on the handle bar brackets, so these are on order.

Also another thing, when turning the bars right the engine picks up revs...?

Will get pics tommorow as it arrived at dusk..

Bike's arrived, need to get use to kick start and the digital dash.
    Dang, talk about a throw back! Kick start, now that is old...

...have to adjust the throttle cable as tick over is too low and causes the engine to stall, have also noticed a couple bolts missing on the handle bar brackets, so these are on order.

Also another thing, when turning the bars right the engine picks up revs...?
    Sounds like an Italian vehicle to me.

Looking forward to the pics. Congrats on going with the passionate "heart" instead of the sensible "head" on picking a bike.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Not a bike man myself but I would say the CBR600RR would be about spot-on. Anything bigger would be like having a 12" d#ck, looks the part and all the other guys would be envious but there's no where really you can use it all.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    ...anything bigger would be like having a 12" d#ck, looks the part and all the other guys would be envious but there's no where really you can use it all.

Suprised you gents on that side of the pond aren't taken with the 675...

Lead, great point. My brother is going that route and I may just end up doing the same. The 07' 600 looks to be fantastic!

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Suprised you gents on that side of the pond aren't taken with the 675...

Lead, great point. My brother is going that route and I may just end up doing the same. The 07' 600 looks to be fantastic!

Ben
    Ben,

I was talking from personal experience but not with bikes.
    Search and you will find the truth.