Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports suspension plus - Opinions

Sports suspension plus - Opinions

Hi guys,

On the brink of ordering an RS4Avant but still can't decide on which suspension set-up to spec.

Has anyone tried both set-ups? Or has anyone tested the sports+ suspension and can compare this with any other cars of a similar ilk?

All opinions would be great

Thanks Taz

I'm also interested in this as I have to confirm spec on my car in next few days (saloon).

I owned an Elise 135R for 18 months so not worried about hard/harsh suspension just want the best suspension setup for this car from day one for aggressive road driving.

Currently specing with sports suspension plus unless I get comments that really make me believe otherwise.

Everything I've read sounds 50:50 overall but it depends on what the drivers were looking for.

cheers,
    - Dean
    cheers,
    - Dean

Yeh, i'm inclined to go for the sports+ too...but the only reason would be for looks.

Autocar had the full test on the RS4 last week and they were very impressed with the standard set-up as was EVO and similar motoring journals.. and the car doesn't exactly look bad with standard suspension. They said that they wouldn't go for the sports+ suspension...but didn't say for what reason.

Taran
    Last edited by tazsura; March 17th, 2006 at 14:49.

As told before (there's already a thread about this), it really depends on what you want.

Yes, the sport suspension is quite harsh on bad pavement, but it's so much better in the bends. I thought it was only noticable hard on streets with repeatable holes short after eachother. The car doesn't bounce, but you'll feel it. Bumps at higher speed or speedbumps are hardly noticable.

I would go for the sport suspension+, but I'm young and would care more about handling, rather than comfort, especially with this kind of car.

PS: I've only driven the ss+

Johan

This may end up being like the story of the RS6 standard exhaust and Enhanced Sound exhaust. I bet they are charging for something that the normal driver may not actually feel much of a difference.

If you plan on take the car to the track, opt for the 'Plus'. Otherwise, stick with regular option.

I've spec'd my Avant with Sport Susp +. My decision is based mainly on the visual aspect, but I'm used to a firm ride in my 996 C4S, so I'm not overly concerned if it's v.firm

I have only driven an RS4 with the standard set-up and I must admit that I was very impressed. I'm just drawn to the lowered look.

Go 4 sport+
    from RUS with love :)
    12 R8 Plus; 14 Toyota LC200 Diesel; 06 Subaru Impreza STi Spec C Type RA; 09 BMW X5M SOLD; 01 Black Mercedes G500 SOLD; 00 Silver TTC Quattro SOLD; 02 RS6 - 530 hp SOLD

Originally posted by nene
    If you plan on take the car to the track, opt for the 'Plus'. Otherwise, stick with regular option.
    I concur. Plus is noticeably firmer. Not great for UK roads.

Originally posted by tailpipe
    I concur. Plus is noticeably firmer. Not great for UK roads.
    Would you say its alot worser than a Golf R32 or the BMW M3?

I have ordered my RS4 with Sports Suspension Plus.... I want the best out of handling!

Riz
    Audi RS4 - ETA September 2006

I used to have an M3 and thought the ride was pretty sorted. The standard RS4 suspension has been tuned for UK roads and I thought it was great - although I drove it in Switzerland! (As far as I know, UK-spec suspension is same as other EU markets). Key difference between M3 and RS4 is that in RS4 you don't feel connected with the road in quite the same way - you feel detached - a lot of people would say that's a bad thing. What it means is that the limits of the RS4 are so much greater in most situations you'll never really push the car beyond its capabilities. The achievement with the RS4 suspension etc is simply mind-boggling. With the sports plus, I think you will have greater feel, but I'm pretty sure it will crash over pot-holes and bumps. Over here, you need something with just a tad more compliance.

I would go for standard ride, which is probably better for (female)passengers. Go for "Plus" if you intend to do serious amounts of track work.

I haven't driven the Plus so can't comment directly on it - this is just hearsay. Defintely worth an email to the lads at Autocar or Top Gear.

(R32 doesn't bear comparison with either)

Thank you

Riz
    Audi RS4 - ETA September 2006

I am happy to read this post as I have been already posting around for comments and views between standard chassis and super plus suspension. Nobody tried both set up yet and you can hear or read both views about it. But it is always nice to hear about comments and rational.

I will test drive the RS4 with super plus suspension next Saturday to really get my own feeling of this spec and take my decision to keep my order as it is (with normal set up) or change it for super plus. I will of course post my impression. I think I will be able to get an objective view as I drove the beast with standard set up a few time.

No doubt, we all agree that the look of the car is (much) better with super plus suspension. The RS4 is a sport car and not a A8 but if the super chassis is too harsh it can be annoying for every day use and/or for passenger and wifes . We will not spend our day on track so "minimal confort" is important to me as well.

I talked to a RS4 owner who got its beast 1 month ago and has super plus set up and Recaro seats. He ensures me that the car remains confortable and is much more confortable than its old M3 (with 19"). He drives his car in the city, country side roads and highway and recommended me to go for it as the ride is not harsh at all. The comparison with the M3 with 19" wheels is interesting as he insisted on the fact that the BM was much more harsh.He added that his wife is also happy wereas she was complaining about the M3 ride.

To be honest I am lost with this suspension choice. I hope my test drive next week will make think clear and that I will stop wondering on it. Since I finalized my order 2 weeks ago with standard suspension I can't stop wondering on this matter as I want to make the best choice and have no regret when getting the car.

Will see

For me the normal suspension is a bit soft , but I only drove it on the track so ...
    I´ve heard that the Sport+ suspension improves the handling , especially on turns , looks better so that was my choice.

Waiting for your review , you are a lucky man , two tests
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..

Sport+ looks better and may work better for aggressive driving. But how will you really use the car? Unless you plan to spend lots of time on the track, I'd go with the standard set-up not the +. Still sporty with excellent handling. Still an :

For example, here's an extreme, non-Audi comparison: one of my other cars has a stiffer after-market suspension (adjustable racing KONIs with coilovers) that, even when adjusted to the "softest" setting, is unpleasantly rough on city streets. Lowered, the carlooks great, and it handles fabulously on the track or on smooth and twisting mountain roads. City roads are not track-smooth, though. Could be quite jarring if the Sport+ on the RS4 is as stiff as I've heard.

In contrast, the stock suspension for my RS6 with similar DRC as the new RS4 "normal" suspension -- though on a much larger car -- performs well in sporting situations but not at the cost of a comfortable ride as a daily driver. Best of both worlds.

Be sure that your test drive is in the kind of conditions in which you will generally be driving your RS4 after purchase. Look forward to your report.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

You are fully right and I agree with you 100%. As I said I don't want to regret and be stock with a harsh car.

I will test both next week and will do that together with my wife and will be testing front and back seats and of course all kind of road surface.

I definitely want to be shure of my choice and will do what needed. I think it will help a lot of us wondering about this spec.

On the other hand most of the cars available at dealers places in Germany have the super sport set up. Which in a way suits the RS4 philosophy.

My S4 has sport springs and remains still ok in terms of confort. My TT V6 roadster has a sporty suspension set up but remains also spoty/confortable. I don't think the super sport will be so harsh but firm for shure. More and more I personally think I will go for the switch. But I may come back next week with a different view. Only test drive will tell.

will see

As an aside is it possible to upgrade to Plus post production, that might be an option if not happy with the standard.

Gazzab

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I'm back at the dealer next week for a test drive in a RS with standard set-up. I'll see how it rides and maybe have a bit more info from the guys at the dealership.

I'm not going to be on the track in car and being that I live in London i'm thinking that the standard set-up is probably the best way to go.

The dilemma continues....Good looks or Bad back....

I have spent ages researching this subject, including Audi Germany etc. It seems to me there will be quite a difference between standard suspension and sports plus. The car with standard suspension is said to be "very good handling standard RS4 with 18 inch wheels"' and "even better handling with the sports suspension plus especially on winding b- or c-type roads, but you definately loose ride comfort". I guess the above is pretty obvious, when you analyze it. I am in my 50's (sadly!!) and will use the car for fun and family (no serious track days),so have ordered the standard set up,18 inch wheels. I like the idea of the look of the sports suspension, but my bones and family ,wouldn't long term. I looked many times at buying a M3, but found the ride harsh, I also think alot of other people might have in the long run, maybe thats why there seems alot of resales of M3's. For me I want a car set up for 99% of my useage needs. Can't wait to get it May. Hope the above helps in your discion.