Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $42,000 trade in?

$42,000 trade in?

what do you think of that trade in number, $42,000?

My RS6 is Goodwood Green, EXCELLENT condition, sound enhancing exhaust, integrated phone, black leather, carbon trim, nav, park assist and all the other goodies you all have.

it has 45K miles, just had that service and at the same time 4 brand new tires mounted plus state inspection done.

When I heard the number the dealer gave I nearly laughed. from the research I've done it should be anywhere between $52 - 59K trade in.

I'm located in NE States, outside of Philadelphia, it's a good demographic.

Thoughts????

Re: $42,000 trade in?

Originally posted by Dark Knight
    what do you think of that trade in number, $42,000?

Thoughts????
    Dude, did he at least offer you a pillow before he jammed it up your hiney? My goodness, what a crook!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

It seems a bit low. The Goodwood green is a beautiful color but not for everyone's taste. Even so your car should be in the low $50's for trade-in.

Tom

I agree, he is a crook for sure and not a businessman whatsoever.
    Its one thing to be fair and at trade in we are going to be stabbed but this guy is bludgeoning you with that low ball price.

I have seen RS6's on the web with more miles than yours advertised for $69K.
    I say sell yourself and you wont get hammered.
    The RS6 has kept its value more than I ever expcted it to, for which I am very very happy.

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

What are you looking to get to replaceit... do you want a 500 Hp Cadillac?
    I can not believe that is all the guy would give you for it. What kind of dealer was it? Is it leased and you are turning it in?
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

Hey thanks guys for the responses, confirms what I thought. The guy didn't know what the hell he was doing and blatantly attempted to rape me!

It was a Mercedes dealership, in West Chester, PA. I would've been happy with them getting close to my payoff by a few thousand but they were a universe away!!!!

I know the mileage is high and I'm willing to take a little bit of a hit for that. And the green goes either way, some folks it doesn't work for them then again, when I was in the process of buying it, dealers from all over the west coast wanted it off my dealer and were willing to pay a premium. I don't think the color makes a significant positive $$ impact but if the dealer understands what he's looking at I believe the color gives some uniqueness!

Well, again, thanks for the support, that's what I needed to hear tonight, that I wasn't nuts for thinking the dealer was nuts!!! They just lost a possible life-long relationship of 2 car buyers between me and wife. Their loss.

Cheers!

I would not settle for anything less then 50k. Heck, you can probably sell it on ebay for that.
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Originally posted by nyrs6
    I would not settle for anything less then 50k. Heck, you can probably sell it on ebay for that.
    Agreed, you should be able to get $50K+ anywhere, these cars are in demand.

You know, I can see a salesman at a dealer wanting to make $5-$8 grand pure profit off of your RS 6, but considering the dealer will turn right around and sell it for $63-$67K, IMHO, $25Knet profit off of your car seems just a tad excessive. Believe me, their "certified" process is not as intensive as they lead you to believe. It doesn't cost them a whole lot to perform it, yet they bump the price of the car up hard core (to recoup their costs of course:trash: ).

Heck, put it in autotrader.com and use the extra $10K-$15K for your kids colledge fund.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Originally posted by Bajors6
    I agree, he is a crook for sure and not a businessman whatsoever.
    Its one thing to be fair and at trade in we are going to be stabbed but this guy is bludgeoning you with that low ball price.

I have seen RS6's on the web with more miles than yours advertised for $69K.
    I say sell yourself and you wont get hammered.
    The RS6 has kept its value more than I ever expcted it to, for which I am very very happy.

Bajo
    I agree with Bajo. We have a 2003 sitting in Audi of Rochester Hills here near Detroit. They are asking $68,900 for it. It is Black/Black and no sound enhancing exhuast. This guy is looking to rake you over the coals and make a huge profit. Tell him to go fly a kite.

hey Benman!

you're right on the money and the more i think about how casually they were in delivering the number to me the more steamed i'm getting!

it's obvious their 'guy' (apparently onsite wholesaler) doesn't know his ass from his elbow. probably just dealing in trade in Mercs and Porsches so he knows those numbers well (one would hope!!!) but get something a little different and it's apparent he's off the reservation!

thanks again you guys, it's really supportive to get this feedback and that i'm not insane for wanting something in the mid $50K's and if i got lucky in the high 50s.

also, if they wanted to move a car, and now i think they do because they've started calling letting me know they're talking to audi dealerships in the region, they could give me close to what i need on the RS then keep the car i'm looking at retail and make the money there. sure, they need to calculate in possible loss of not selling the RS to cover their costs but at the numbers i need they wouldn't get in that situation.

okay, sorry for rambling, this situation gets me fired up!!! lol

thanks again guys, this is true community support!
    Dark Knight

"See God, then brake."
    - Kevin Schwantz, 500GP World Champion
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    RS6 Goodwood Green
    S4 Triple Black Cab
    350Z Nismo . . . gone
    Boxster . . . gones
    CBR1000F, 900RR, ZX7R, ZX6R, GSX-R600 . . . gone

okay, sorry for rambling, this situation gets me fired up!!! lol

thanks again guys, this is true community support!
    No need to apologies, I'd be pissed too!

For what it's worth, the latest Blue Book shows the RS 6 with 45K at $61.8K wholesale, $69.9K retail. I'm not saying that everyone will get that, but just wanted you to know. And yes, it's common practice for dealers to charge full retail on used cars, but it is also practice to buy a car @ 3K under wholesale, in your case @ $59K. I personally wouldn't take anything less than $3K under wholesale.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Thanks, Benman. those are exactly the numbers i was working with plus looked out on trader sites with what was really going on in the marketplace and that mirrored the numbers you just gave.

I'll keep you posted with how this turns out!

Cheers for looking at the numbers.

I'll keep you posted with how this turns out!
    Best of Luck.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

$42,000 is absurd. What did he think you had an A6 4.2?

Finnus
    2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Audi was able to sell my car at auction this month for $62,240.00. It had 21,098 "well-loved" miles at lease turn-in.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Rare colors bring additional value or

don't reduce it by much, Unless of course it's white. But I like white.

Reality check??

Hi all...I deal a lot with these cars, and I have bought several with a lot less mileage for the mid 40's at Manheim. I don't want to be negative in here, but I think you guys are off base with your figures. It seems that you guys are huge RS6 fans, but do not obviously work in the industry. I then check out Ebay to see what they did there, and the only cars that bring the 50's are cars that have less than 25,000 miles...look for yourselves. I have a dealer that needs me to get one for him now, and I have been looking, but it seems that every car I find, the non-audi dealers are either buried in it (need too much money), or the private owners are asking too much. With regard to the color of your car, Green is not bad if you sell the car privately and find that 1 person who is looking for a green car, but a green RS6 is not a saleable car for the masses. I welcome anybody to check this out for themselves. Cheers!

CME4Audi's:

I believe we are very well informed group. We even have members who give us the Manheim auction prices on RS6's. The lowest price I recall is $49K and who knows what the issues were with that car. Most were in the $50-63 range.

Do you offer cars to the public? I have been watching RS6 prices for the past 6 months. I have seen only one or two for sale in the Baltimore area.

Most dealers will try to get as close to the KBB trade-in value to consumate the sale of another car. By offering $10K shy it makes me question whether the dealer knew what he was doing.

The fact that you are having problems finding a car is simple economics. Supply and demand.... there are only 1,200 of these vehicles in the US. Right now there is about roughly 40 RS6's for sale around the country. These cars do not last in my area. 4 cars were sold in under a week on the market here in Metro DC within the past 6 months...less than an hour from you.

The problem is that you are in a position as a middle man to have a seller discount the true value of the car. You need this in order for you to make a profit when you resell to another party. In cases where you are selling to a dealer...there is a second level of mark-up which needs to be factored in when you make a purchase. The target amount you need to purchase at (in order to make a profit) is much much lower than the dealer Dark Knight dealt with... who could have possibly offset a smaller profit margin on the trade-in by making a corresponding sale of a new vehicle.

I don't think we are off-base or blinded RS6 lovers.... my projected trade in figure stands at $50K... a couple of K's below the KBB value.

Tom