Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R8 production info

Originally posted by eazy
    I see. Any infos when we should anticipate an RS4 B8?
    2009-2010.

wfg, Hans.

benman, i like what you infer

and iceman i agree with you. the RS4 engine could still be further developed, though, IMO with a slightly higher displacement such as 4.5 liters. nonetheless, my very sincere belief is that the base engine in the R8 will be the RS4 engine as it stands with the difference lying in any different modifications to the exhaust and such. there would be no room or need for a V6 in the R8 because an S version of the new TT can fill that void pricewise. the real question is whether a V10 is needed in the R8. it would only add weight. the only thing it could add would be torque but the R8 will be light.

we'll know soon enough. and an R8 forum can't come sooner since the car seems to be about 6 months away from presentation.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Re: benman, i like what you infer

Originally posted by RXBG
    we'll know soon enough. and an R8 forum can't come sooner since the car seems to be about 6 months away from presentation.
    Autosalon Paris 2006.

wfg, Hans.

Originally posted by Iceman
    Audi is still further developing the 4.2 V8 FSI engines.
    The RS4 4.2 V8 FSI engine will have 450-500 hp in the new B8.

wfg, Hans.
    Now see, this would make sense! Have the "base" R8 with 450hp therfor having more hp than the RS 4 and then having the R8 V10 make 550-600hp and keep that above the hp of the RS 6.

To me it doesn't make sense to have the flagship outperformed by the super sedans (hp wise). I know, I know... hp isn't everything, but never, do any car manufactures have their flagship models produce less hp than their "lower" entries.

So:
    RS 4: 420hp
    R8 (base): 430-450

RS 6: 550+
    R8(V10): 575+ ***types hoping***

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

R8 V10 with 600 hp. never.

sorry ben, i don't think it could happen. the murcielago makes less than 600. the gallardo makes 520. the replacements for these two cars are at least 2 years away. i actually think the R8 might get the V8 only, at first, and then get a V10 once the gallardo has been replaced. the gallardo JUST got a 20 hp bump.

the RS6 will have 550 but it needs that power. that engine might go in the R8, but not immediately, IMHO.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Re: R8 V10 with 600 hp. never.

sorry ben, i don't think it could happen. the murcielago makes less than 600. the gallardo makes 520. the replacements for these two cars are at least 2 years away. i actually think the R8 might get the V8 only, at first, and then get a V10 once the gallardo has been replaced. the gallardo JUST got a 20 hp bump.

the RS6 will have 550 but it needs that power. that engine might go in the R8, but not immediately, IMHO.
    RXBG,

Yeah I know it ain't likely, but I still think it must have at least equal (or slightly more) hp than the "lesser" models. It doesn't make sense to give it a 400 hp V8 when the RS 4 makes more. It doesn't make sense to give it a 520hp V10 when the RS 6 (probably) will make more. That's all. To me, a flagship is a flagship for a reason. Figures are a big part of the "Aura".

Navies don't put second rate engines into their flagships, neither do car manufatures. At least not yet...

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

ben,

i don't think the R8 will start with anything less than the exact engine as the RS4 (425 hp). add a few exhaust changes and etc and it could make 450 easy- a SCREAMER for sure. that would power it perfectly below the 520 hp gallardo and give it room for a V10 later. a V10 now would have to make less than 520 and how much less? why put in a a V10 that makes barely 40 hp more than the V8 model?

so-- i think the V10 power will come. just not now. and that is ok with me. i get to keep exclusivity for a little while
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Re: ben,

so-- i think the V10 power will come. just not now. and that is ok with me. i get to keep exclusivity for a little while
    A 450hp RS 4 motor will do the car fine.

But if/when they put in the V10, it "needs" at least what the RS 6 makes.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

It is still not on-thinkeble that the R8 will have A 5.2 litre V10 FSI engine with 420 or 450 hp.
    The V10 engine weights only 220 Kg and that is almost the same as the 4.2 V8 i think.
    From the prestige and sound site of thinks it is better to put in a 420 hp 5.2 V10 FSI than a 420 hp 4.2 V8 FSI engine.

wfg, Hans.

agree with both of you...

you could go either way. a high strung V8 or a torquey V10. can't go wrong either way. V8 more nimble. V10 a bit too close to gallardo. people might call it a reskined gallardo and i would hate that. doesn't look like it will have four seats, either.....

hey...just a few more months until paris. maybe they'll give some info in geneva
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Looks like they doing it all over again,

AUDI, BRAKE THE 450 HP LIMIT, IT WANT KILL YOU IF YOU DO IT!

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/ne...?news_id=13423

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    Originally posted by AndyBG
    Looks like they doing it all over again,

AUDI, BRAKE THE 450 HP LIMIT, IT WANT KILL YOU IF YOU DO IT!

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/ne...?news_id=13423
    already did... RS6+...

Originally posted by 5000S old skool
    already did... RS6+...

Now, they can do same or more with that V10 and everything will be great!

Now I know the engine thing has been hashed to death, but the more I think about it, the more I think it would be nice if it was a TT V8. After all, if Audi is going to name it the R8, then why not give it the real R8's TT V8 set up?

Be nice to have a TT V8 @500hp in that thing. They're the ones who will be playing up the heritage card (the fact alone that they're naming it after the unbeatable race car is proof enough), so I say, play it up to the full! Make a TT V8 available!

Audi= To Lead is Greater than to Follow...

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan