Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rs6 in snow

I've been very satisfied going thru Luke@tirerack.com for my RS6, plus prior S4 and A4. Having lived in suburban Chicago for five years, I would definitely recommend winter tires over so-called all-seasons, especially with the early start to this winter.

Guys thanks for all the help. All of u know tires well. Ordered the Dunlop Winter Sport M3, seems like the best tire for my needs. thanx again!! by the way, we just got 6 inches of snow in chicago.

Originally posted by AMG EATR
    Guys thanks for all the help. All of u know tires well. Ordered the Dunlop Winter Sport M3, seems like the best tire for my needs. thanx again!! by the way, we just got 6 inches of snow in chicago.
    Good choice, especially if the majority of your driving will be on plowed and bare pavement. On the deep packed stuff, I've learned at our local ACNA Winter Driving schools that performance snows (such as our beloved Wintersport M3s) definitely give up a lot of snow traction to be stellar performers on dry winter tarmac. Nevertheless, I still made it up the off-camber icy uphill turn that other Audis with all-season tires (or other RWD/FWD cars w/ snow tires) could not. Sure, I did it with a little bit more drama, but it made it!

(No doubt the 4200 lbs was working against me too; it feels like ages to get the weight to transfer in the RS6 versus the lighter cars. I wish all winter SUV drivers understood this concept!!)

on the Wintersports.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

What size tire and what wheel did you end up going with. Inquiring minds want to know!

I am using stock wheels for my winter setup, bbs maybe in summer with ps2. I wanted factory size so 255/40 18 I believe.

sorry 255/45 18 or whatever oe tire is. Hopefully this is not to wide, but i dont like small looking tires. I think this should be plenty of grip for snow, if its really bad out i have a suv.

sorry 255/45 18 or whatever oe tire is. Hopefully this is not to wide, but i dont like small looking tires. I think this should be plenty of grip for snow, if its really bad out i have a suv.
    Keep us posted on your impressions of your new winter setup.

Fwiw my 225's do not look small to me - maybe it's the dominant (winter) tread that gives them a larger/wider appearance to my eye.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Cool

Originally posted by Speedou
    WTF? You have to have tires for winter and summer? You can't say you don't have money to buy after RS6???
    Gotta agree Speedou! I have separate summer and winter tires... I don't like compromising performance/quality in either season.

255 verses 225 for Winter

Thanks AMG EATR for starting this timely thread - for me.
    My RS6 is on it's way to me via enclosed trailer fitted with pzero's.
    I am having it dropped shipped directly to the shop to have snow's placed immediately on it and ordered Dunlop Wintersport M3's last night to be simultaneously drop shipped and ready to go. Reading this thread, I was leaning heavily toward the 225's for added safety during the season.
    FYI - Luke at tirerack talked me into the 255's indicating several reasons including increased loading requirement for 225's, aesthetic's (the word silly was used) and most notably, "...unless you're a ski instructor in Colorado that needs to be at the slopes at 6:00 AM before the plows, the 255's are all you need." His strong recommendation was made knowing that we get 100 inches a year here and the car will be driven into Eastern ski country and to the slopes. And so, 255's it is/was.
    Luke was also higher on the M3's than Blizzaks (sold out anyway) stating that although the Blizzaks are a bit better in the snow, the M3's are better in plain wet or dry conditions.
    Lastly, the tech's/sales people at tirerack to get a commission on sales (I trust that did not affect the recommendation) and so, if you're pleased with the service, call in the order rather than the point and click.
    JP

nice talking to you yesterday .... and your tires are shipping out today
    [img]http://www.tirerack.com/posting_banners/luke_mercedesshop_mbworld.jpg[/img]

Items in the mirror appear ... to be LOSING

FYI - Luke at tirerack talked me into the 255's indicating several reasons including increased loading requirement for 225's, aesthetic's (the word silly was used) and most notably, "...unless you're a ski instructor in Colorado that needs to be at the slopes at 6:00 AM before the plows, the 255's are all you need."

Interesting, given that another saleman at Tire Rack steered me to the 225's (which I am very happy with).
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I had my snows in the garage before the RS6 was even delivered to me.

I got

4 255/40VR-18 Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport In Stock $213.00
    1 Pirelli tire regist card rtl In Stock N/C
    1 Tire warranty packet In Stock N/C
    4 18x7.5 5-112 et20 cb57 ati s5 In Stock $239.00
    4 AT Italia center cap In Stock N/C
    4 Mount and balance - no charge $.00

Order Total Including Shipping: $1,885.77

Dedicated snow/ice tires are a must for me as I only want to have once car (hate SUV's wife has Tribeca....yuck in snow).

Also since the Summer Tires get eaten up quickly, I put less than 18000 miles on my first set) you end up saving money in the long run.

The $1900 spent on snows saves two sets of summer tires over a 4 year period, and the winter tires will probably be good for four times the milage of the summer tires, so far I have about 12000 to 15000 miles on them and they are still hardly worn.

I have considers all seasons to replace my summer tires this spring, since the handling is 'ok' with the snows....how bad could the all seasons be, and they would be much more quiet than the summer high performance tires, cheaper and last longer......I'll decide come March.

Mike