Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S6 in U.S.? when did it come out?

S6 in U.S.? when did it come out?

I just found this on ebay. how come audi never mewntioned anything on their website about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S6-Av...QQcmdZViewItem

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel
    have seen one here in ATL.
    was blue.
    very nice.

:thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.

Yeah, the old S6 came here in Avant only a while back. I've seen a few around on back home. Someone that lived by my school had one in their driveway.

Originally posted by CarbonFibre
    Yeah, the old S6 came here in Avant only a while back. I've seen a few around on back home. Someone that lived by my school had one in their driveway.

yep. definately rare.

anyone know how many were brought here?

and does it not have the same engine specs as the S8 (older), larger bay ect.?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it had the same engine as the old S8 but just with a bit less power (340). Not quite 360 as in the S8 but more than was in the normal A8 and A6 4.2.

The S8 is an extremely rare car in North America. Even that generation of A8 was extremely rare here. My dad had one, and I rarely ever saw another one on the roads in Los Angeles. The S8 was even less common. The new bodystyle became a lot more popular though as Audi's brand recognition has gone way up in the U.S. recently. The new A8L was beginning to be almost as good as having a BMW or Mercedes to some of the superficial idiots, but most are still probably clueless. I still saw a lot more of them than the older one though.

My dad has an A8L black on black with an alcantara headliner and other nice stuff (forgot all the options on it). He said his D2 (last body style) A8 was the best car he'd ever owned, and now he says the same about the new one.

theres 3 around potomic(just the ones that i know about)
    03 rs6 dahlback 461 awd hp 530 tq. 12.2 118 gone
    01 rs4
    Rs6 avant loba 6sp

there's a grey S6 for sale at Go Motors in Boulder, CO. I test drove one back when they were an availalbe model. Motor left me very disapointed. Great looking, not enough HP, especially at altitude.

Originally posted by RS4Ever
    yep. definately rare.

anyone know how many were brought here?

I heard the numbers were around 1300 for the US market. SO that would put it just about as rare as the

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Yea, there are a surprising number of them around D.C.

I did a search on autotrader.com and found only 2002 model year for the S6, so I presume that was it. Not on Audi website because they don't show cars out of production.

There was a nice one at my dealer a couple of weeks ago -- black, 43K mi, asking $34K. I've never driven one, but at 340 hp (according to salesman) I doubt it compares well with an RS6 in performance.

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    I've never driven one, but at 340 hp (according to salesman) I doubt it compares well with an RS6 in performance.
    yeah your correct

i think
    .. no DRC
    ..no RS brakes

however, could they have shared same 5spd tranny as rs6?

The C5 S6 Avant hit the US market in December of 2001 as a 2002 model. The S6 was imported through the 2003 model year and supposedly 1200 or so total for both model years made it into dealer showrooms.

The TIP tranny in the S6 was not used in the RS6.

Sure S6 is no match to RS6, but it's also 50% cheaper on used car market (in Germany). And it can still outran 90+% of the cars on the streets + has the same interior and build quality as RS6.

My car has manual trans and that makes it a bit more sporty ride than tiptronic, which was the only option in US. Never tried S6 with tip, but I didn't like at all the soft and slow tip trans in my previous A6 2,8 Q.
    2004 RS6 Avant

Don't see how an S6 motor could leave anyone disappointed!?!? True, it isn't the lightest car on the planet, but ours pulls like a frieght train. True, it wouldn't compare to an RS6, but it's a great poor-man's alternative, especially if you need the extra space of a wagon (for us in the US, the S6 only came in a wagon and the RS6 only came in Sedan form: Audi, there are many who like high performance wagons here like they do in Europe!).

There are quite a few around downtown Chicago. I see a handful on a fairly regular basis, but not nearly as frequently as I see RS6's (nearly daily) or the Bently Continental. They must sell those things like 150k hotcakes. Starting to see a lot of Maseratic sedans also.

Originally posted by rheudabaga
    True, it wouldn't compare to an RS6, but it's a great poor-man's alternative...
    That was the car I was going to purchase before the RS 6, but I remember telling the wife, "No, better not, it's too expensive!"

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

S6 Avant

They were not very big sellers due to their limited appeal and price. I bought one for my wife, because she wanted an avant, and I would be damned if it didn't have a v8. Audi killed it off when they offered the allroad with the 4.2. There was not much sense in it then, since it was stiffer, lowered, and more expensive. Car and driver titled their review 'Just you everyday 155 mph station wagon'. Here is an older pix with the HRE wheels it had. We traded it in for a minivan until the Q7 is available.

Noushy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	369.325.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	3299  
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

Hey, Noushy -- welcome back!

How did you & your wife like the S6? Still have the RS 6 with 19" HREs?

Jax & S6

Hello friends and especially Jack,
    My wife loved her Audi. That was her second car, and she is upset that the Q7 was not ready to be her third. It was fast, smooth, dependable and an overall outstanding car for her. She always commented that guys were interested in her car (and why?). She use to tell me 'that car is really fast, and why do guys always ask me about it?'. My fault that I refused to by a car with less than 8 cylinders. And as for the rs6, still have her. Love it, fast, smooth, dependable. Lately it has been making a clicking sound when cold up in the dash. I was told it was a relay and it was normal. I do not believe it, but whatever. I will have it for 12 more months, and then I have to decide.
    On that note, I need some help. This is a bit off topic but since I through in a few tidbits about the S6, her goes. Guys I need to start planning my next sedan. I can pretty much afford any car up to $120k but was looking at (a) BMW M5, (b) ?RS6 Gen 2 (if ever made), (c) Merc CLS55 or CLS63, (d) Audi S8. I am open to most any high end German car that has room for four or five, at least 400hp, and is in the E/A6/5xx class of vehicle. I heard rumours of a Lexus GS600h as well as the GS450h but the later is only a six cylinder. Oh and no it has to have at least 8 cyclinders. Oh and one more thing, I could just get a coupe or sports car, ie Gallardo, SL55/SL63, new Audi R9/LeMans, AM DB8 Vantage....

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)