Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RNS-E Navigation system going in soon

RNS-E Navigation system going in soon

My next mod going on is updating my RS6 US navigation system with an RNS-E US version. As always, you will get to see the full write up and many pix to enjoy. Obviously putting together a write up will be all part of the fun.

For most of you, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but for the few that may be in the dark, here is some pix of the setup going in.

Check NavPlus.us for any details.

Setup I plan to follow with some minor differences in the RNS-E part number for the RS6.
    Another setup on an AllRoad.

I also purchased a new XM radio module, as the RNS-E uses a different one. I will have my current XM radio module for sale later. PM me if interested. Most likely half the price than what you get from dealer.

I got my connectors from Euro-Parts.us. They were great, and had all the parts in stock. If something is not in stock, check often, as usually it only takes them about 2-4 days to have it back in stock.

Got RNS-E and XM radio module from ClairParts. Just called them, gave them the numbers, and units were sitting in warehouse in New Jersey. Should be here by Tuesday.

All kinds of great info here too.

Last edited by nene; September 12th, 2005 at 06:03.

you will like it - is the one you have with TV tuner?

Just put a RNS-E in my beast a few weeks ago. Bought the unit on E-Bay for $1000 (European model 4B0 035 192 P), bought the US DVD map from Navteq for $200, modified some files from that DVD to update the software to US standard in the RNS-E, and now I have a fully functional navigation system with Sirius, AM-FM, SD sound cards. It is GREAT, highly recommend the upgrade.

Next step is the integration of a Bluetooth phone, hopefully.

Nene,

You have peaked my interest for sure.

So XM can work with it......different module though..

What about the FM and AM band, are they correct? European units use a different frequency band.

Is this unit the same one that would be in a 2006 A4????? I looked at an S4 wagon which had it.

Can you have XM AND IPOD interface?

I assume you have to access that elusive GALA wire in the Instrument panel....

What about the Bose Amps? etc...

Mike

Nene,

VERY nice project you have ahead of you.
    That Nav system is going to look killer, it is a crying shame that we as buyers of Audi's top model have to go thru this to get what they get over the pond. If this isnt brand loyalty and an enthusiast (nene) I dont know what is. Kudo's to you my friend, its not gonna be an easy job but you will "git er done".
    Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing your inputs before I start looking into it for my beast.

Bajo

PS. your link to navplus goes to a picture of some volks wheels, FYI.
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Fixed the NavPlus site link. Posting on another thread got me into a little trouble with linking. Thanks Bajo for the note.

I am getting all US parts.
    RNS-E US: 4B0 035 192 R
    XM Module: 8E0 057 593 E

Because this is a unit for US cars, the AM/FM modulator should work just fine. Listened to it on an A6 Avant recently, and it was great. The MP3s that you load on the 2GB SD cards, can be played on it too. It reads the ID3 tag and shows the song info, if that is present. All my MP3s have that.
    I know the 2006 A4 also has RNS-E, but not sure the face plate is quite identical in dimension. I know the faceplate is the dimensions for the C5 platform, but all the buttons are the same across the board.
    All the wiring has been built by a third party, and should be all there, which I've purchased first. Not sure about the iPod interface, but from a friend's e-mail, it does seem that it is something that can be done. I did not purchase this because at this time I'm not sure I wish to pursue it. The unit works with the Bose amps currently in place. No other changes required.

Even with the US unit there are a couple of modifications that need to be done using the VAG tool. This I got covered, as most of you know I got the tool, and directions also found on the NavPlus.us site.

XM is a different module than what Symphony II uses. Wiring should be the same though. Simple change of modules should suffice. If you currently have an XM module for the Symphony II, such as myself, I'm hoping I can just pass that on to another C5 owner that has the car pre-wired for Sat radio. Passing on some savings obviously.

Thanks all for the input, and I'm really pumped for this modification. I have a few others already lined up, but want to savor each and every mod before I move on to the next project. Obviously the write ups also take time, as I usually take a ton of pictures, but enjoy sharing with the community the know how, such that they can use it and implement it if they so wish.
    Can't wait for the rest of the items to arrive.

What about the FM and AM band, are they correct? European units use a different frequency band.
    Mike - the only difference on FM is that US is using 200 kHz channel spacing between stations and Europe 100 kHz.

gg

Very cool!

rzamora has done the same configuration if you need inputs.
    He said it was a bit of a nightmare to install.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

thanks for the lead Erik

Thanks for the lead Erik. Because most of the spaces that I will be working with are tight, I would assume that it might be a challenge. Nothing I'm not used to I guess, and I will certainly have to be patient. Will set a whole weekend aside to make sure of a job well done. I am also using the GPS/XM antenna already in place in the top of the car. That means I have to pull the wire all the way from the back to the front of the car. That will determine to be quite the challenge as well.

No TV tuner at this time, although I am seriously considering adding this later along with the iPod connection setup.

I will have to get access to the GALA connection.

Forget this post.....I read more on NAVPLUS....

Don't read.... LOL

I am very suspicious about the need for a new XM Module.

The outputs of the XM module are simply right, left, signal ground, Can Bus High, Can Bus low, and the two antenae.

What could possibly be different for the Nav Radio???????

Do you have the wire diagrams for it????

Also, my current XM module (and yours) has passthrough inputs for the CD changer, that is where the IPOD ICE LINE is plugged in (left, right, signal ground).

Does the newer XM MOdule no longer have this passthrough? If so that May Be the ONLY difference and the old one may work just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

great project, nice update, but 4 grand? Were do you get all your money? :360:
    Last edited by Aronis; September 12th, 2005 at 14:16.

some other info

Mike,
    I don't have the wiring diagrams for either of the XM modules. Once the new one arrives, I will have the actual modules side by side, and compare. I'll look specifically for the inputs you mentioned.
    One thing I've seen mentioned on the boards is that the XM module for the Symphony II system is recognized as being in place by the RNS-E, however you can't switch channels to check and see what the Radio ID is, and register it. The sound comes through, but other communication between the RNS-E and the XM Module does not work.
    I was not aware that the XM module had inputs for the CD Changer. I might just go ahead and buy one, if is going to be that easy to plug into. I will be losing the on-board CD Changer, so might as well put one in the trunk. Not sure I'd put the iPod back there though. Most definitely another good solution to have nonetheless.
    The whole setup is expensive. I never mentioned pricing on the thread. But I assure you that nothing about this car is cheap. If you plan to keep your car past warranty, you might be in for a rude awakening.
    I am sure that with a bit more money I could have had a better setup, sound and video wise. However, my concern is to have it look as stock as possible. Being that the center of the console is an extremely visible item, I did not wish to mess around with it much. Even though the system is more expensive than probably worth, to me it is worth it. I think the adrenaline rush of wanting to tackle this project myself, sort of subdued the pain I felt in my pocket.
    I have other more expensive projects lined up. Just wait and see.

I toyed with adding the NAV, I had my radio out for the IPOD install.

My concern is that dam GALA wire LOLOLOL

but now with US SPec DVD nav out....that is tempting...

Mike

nene
    inputs for the CD Changer. I might just go ahead and buy one, if is going to be that easy to plug into. I will be losing the on-board CD Changer, so might as well put one in the trunk.
    I have Phatbox with RNS-E, works fine. On the other hand 2x2G SD cards will hold quite a bit of music and you can have a stack of those handy ......

Originally posted by Aronis
    ...My concern is that dam GALA wire LOLOLOL...
    Mike

Come on Mike...you already had it out, and that is about 25% of the work. The GALA wire is not that bad trust me. If you are patient and careful, and read up first, that will be 5 minutes of your time. I am confident that you could have done it. I agree with you on the price of the parts for sure. But I can't believe the GALA is what kept you from doing this mod a while back.

The GF pushed me to get it done. Once she helped me with the clear corner (front housings) mod, she was hooked. She reserves the right to choose to help or not. But for mods that she thinks are cool, she'll help and read up on it quite a bit. She won't post anything though. She leaves that crazy stuff up to me.

My concern is basically that I don't want to create a nasty rattle by removing the instrument panel!

That wire must be accessable from elsewhere!

I am very tempted but don't have the cash at this time, need new tires first LOL.

Mike

Nene,

Did your RS6 have the navigation from factory when you got it, you know the little navigation which was the only one offered to us. I was just wondering if that is going to help or put more work on a car that has it if I was considering doing the Nav plus install in my car.

Thank's

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Originally posted by Bajors6

That Nav system is going to look killer, it is a crying shame that we as buyers of Audi's top model have to go thru this to get what they get over the pond. If this isnt brand loyalty and an enthusiast (nene) I dont know what is. Kudo's to you my friend...
    Nene, you ARE a die hard enthusiast!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

I hate rattles myself too. I will going to my local Home Depot and looking for thin piece of felt tape, to make sure that any areas I find expose to a potential rattle hazzard, it will be plugged. Same with the wire. Use of zip ties, and felt tape around the wires will help take care of potential issues down the road.
    I will trace that wire as far as I can through the little hole, and take pix to share with you, if possible.

I ordered the RS6 from factory with the Navigation.
    I am not sure if the car did not have this option, if it is any harder to get the RNS-E to work. I assume the GALA connector that Mike is talking about should be available on all RS6 vehicles.
    In my case, I'm going with the antenna already in place. You can by a new antenna connector, and house it in the cuby hole behind the instrument cluster as most have done. However, the folks at NavPlus.us would best know if this addition can be done to an RS6 that did not have the regular navigation from factory.

With the RNS-E, I will still get road directions from voice, and little rectangle within instrument cluster. But now I will also have colored screen directions which is better visually, MP3 listening capabilities via dual memory cards and CD as well (but not on DVD), and DVD maps (1 DVD instead of 9 CDs).
    The CD changer is gone, as now CD and DVDs are read from same slot. XM is still there, via new module. I can add a CD Changer in the back (possible future option), but MP3 reading from CDs can only happen from the in-dash slot, and not from CD Changer. You can opt to go with Phatbox instead of CD Changer too. Why not!!!