Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LeMans quattro? Want one?

it must be a matter of good timing and/or more money that you can do both.

here in the USA i was first in line for an RS4. i went to geneva to find out it would be watered down and arrive april/may 2006.

then i found out the R9 would go into production only a few more months after the USA-bound RS4. i couldn't justify holding on to my 4 year old TT so much longer only to buy an RS4 that i would drive for maybe a year before i bought my R9. since i am a one car guy and can't afford both i went for a 2006 S4.

i know the US bound R9 probably won't arrive until late CY 2007. making that about 20 months from now, but i can certainly live with my :s4addict:

lucky you....i guess NZ gets its cars before the USA? :eye:

NZ gets them around the same time as UK because we are both right hand drive. Audi has a big marketshare here and is getting bigger all the time.

I got stuffed around by the importer when I got my first S4 and am getting the run around with them at the moment with the RS4.

The car is supposed to be here late Dec, early Jan and at this stage, second week of Sept they still dont have a confirmed price for it and when it will actually be here. I have decided that if they cant get their act together within the next ten days then I am cancelling the RS4 and will just keep the S4 I have now until the R9/LMQ gets here.

Its their loss, not mine.

Ned

hope you have better luck than me! the R9 will be so spectacular even the RS4 will pale in comparison anyway....

but who wouldn't rather have an RS4 until then

Originally posted by Ben
    and I... I am a horsepower whore... there... I've said it.
    me too .... me too .... by 30 hp .....

Originally posted by gjg
    me too .... me too .... by 30 hp .....

Never could pass up the rubb'n it in. Nothing like kicking a guy while he's down...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Originally posted by Ben

Never could pass up the rubb'n it in. Nothing like kicking a guy while he's down...
    did I mention the seats .... I mean the REAL seats ... I mean the RECARO seats .... yet?

maybe its time once again .....

Originally posted by gjg
    did I mention the seats .... I mean the REAL seats ... I mean the RECARO seats .... yet?

maybe its time once again .....
    Don't MAKE me use the tilt down mirror and seat memory jibe!

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

The Netherlands (near amsterdam for the americans) :P
    Is this gonna be a normal production car? Like al the A series? (heard about A9 or something) Than I could live with a entry level V8 4.2L Fsi with 420BHP. It would be lighter and more airodynamic than the RS4, so maybe a 0 to 100 Km/h in 4.5 sec. And a topspeed of +-300Km/h (if it's not limited, becaus a 911 turbo goos 4.2sec and 310 Km/h so..)
    And audi would defenetly make a S or/and a RS version of it.
    Choice of engines.. 4.2L (fsi) biturbo 450 to 500 BHP, or the V10 (biturbo) from 450 to 600 BHP.. (the V10 non turbo already exist with a 525BHP version in the gallardo, and there is a V10 Biturbo in the audi concept with 610BHP)

The future wil let us know I just hope they will make a 610BHP RS version to compete with ferrari, pagani, porsche, lamborghini and mercedes

I'm with Ben on the HP issue and I understand Audi wants to sell a lot of these and using an existing engine will shorten development/production time.

BUT ... do you really think that someone who wants and can afford a Lambo is going to settle for an Audi?

Finnus
    2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Originally posted by Finnus

BUT ... do you really think that someone who wants and can afford a Lambo is going to settle for an Audi?

Finnus
    Yeah why not? The mercedes SLR and Porsche Carrera GT are also very different cars in the same price range..

And I think The audi is gonna be less expensive than a Lambo tbh

Hi Kappe,

(Like your posts a lot by the way)

I think Finnus has a point about the R9 overlapping with the Lamborghini Gallardo.

In the UK the Gallardo costs £115,000. If the Audi R9 costs the same or just a little less, brand snobs will probably go for the Gallardo instead. Moreover, you've got the excellent new Porsche 911 and Aston MArtin V8 Vantage out there too. The Porsche comes in under £70,000 while the Aston is around £80,000.

Given that Audi doesn't have a track record in supercars yet, it will need to sell at a price point below these models and well under the Gallardo's sticker price. Personally, i think the R9 has to sell at around £59,000. And that's the one with the V10.

Two other problems:

1. If the market says that the R9 is just a cheap Gallardo, Audi will cannibalise the Gallardo. Which would be a pity, because it has done well with this car. As it is, the Gallardo cannibalises the Murcielago. So R9 probably has to be quite different in spec as well as appearance and pricing.

2. The new Porsche Cayman is changing the rules for everyone. It really is that good. Porsche decided not to fit a limited slip differential to it, because if it had one then it would lap the Ring faster than a 911. Everyone realises that the Cayman chassis which is mid-rear not rear engined is much better than the agricultural and antiquated 911's.

We will see a high performance Cayman that eclipses the 911. The only question is when. Of course, if a £40,000 Cayman blitzes a 911, it will also give the Aston Martin V8 something to think about. (IMHO only a fool wants to pay £80,000 for a car that isn't much more than a Lotus Elise with an Aston badge stuck on it.) The Cayman will also make people question the wisdom of paying a high price for the R9.

What we're really seeing here is the top end of the market becoming as competitive as the lower end. All of this may be irrelevant, because, if you believe the doom and gloom merchants, we may only have 15 years worth of petrol left.

Don't forget audi owns Lamborgini..

I think you cant mach it with a gallardo, becaus its gonna be way better than that trust me.
    If it's gonna be a normal A brand from audi it woudn't matter. It just would be the normal sportscar from audi.. And as we all know audi is getting more famous with the minut (Finally!) So there gonna sell it anywayz.

But if they will only go with a high performens sportscar it would be matching today's supercars that cost 300K pounds. And I gues the audi is gonna be around 200K. And If there's gonna be a normal A9 around 80K.
    But I think it's gonna be a exremly good handling car just look @ Lemans last couple years. I think a lot of rich people want one of those audis! And yes the "playboy pimps" will always have ferrari's and lambo's (who cares about them anywayz)
    Just think about the SLR.. also a german super/GTcar of 300K pounds... Same story, but I think the audi will be much cheaper with much better performens!
    I think if audi makes a performens A9 (R/RS9) It would be matching the Carrera GT

But Time would let us know (hurry up! )

Originally posted by tailpipe

I think Finnus has a point about the R9 overlapping with the Lamborghini Gallardo.

In the UK the Gallardo costs £115,000.

Personally, i think the R9 has to sell at around £59,000. And that's the one with the V10.
    Tailpipe,

I also think Finnus makes a good point about the overlapping, but don't you think half the price your suggesting is a bit extreme? I mean 115K vs 59K? I would think that the price spread woudn't need to be near as drastic as that. In fact the opposite. If the price spread is that extreme and everyone knows it's built on the same platform, it will cannablise the Gallardo. But if the price is a little closer, Gallardos will continue to sell. Just my $.01

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

You sure do think a lot kappe

Originally posted by steve
    You sure do think a lot kappe
    True True

But audi is taking over the world!!!

:s4addict:

Originally posted by Benman
    Tailpipe,

I also think Finnus makes a good point about the overlapping, but don't you think half the price your suggesting is a bit extreme? I mean 115K vs 59K? I would think that the price spread woudn't need to be near as drastic as that. In fact the opposite. If the price spread is that extreme and everyone knows it's built on the same platform, it will cannablise the Gallardo. But if the price is a little closer, Gallardos will continue to sell. Just my $.01

Ben
    I agree. A 15% difference (so about 98k) would be perfect imo. That would just be the extra for the name Lamborghini, the exclusivity, and perhaps a slight HP advantage for the Lambo.

I think Audi is going to be very careful where they place this car price and performance-wise. Audi management is not stupid. If they can build the RS9 for $120,000 that is as good as a $180,000 Lambo, then tey should build it.

If they are going to sell 10,000 RS9s (assuming this # is correct), who cares if they canabalize a few Lambo sales. There are still going to be many people who want the sex-appeal of a Lambo and are willing to pay for it. It will make them work harder to come up with something wild and innovative that distinguishes the Lambo.

I think the car has to be in the $120,000 range and it has to compete with Prosche turbos and Aston Martins. So they've got a fine line to walk.

Finnus
    2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

I just don't care anymore. V10 or I'm waiting for a Panamera.
    GoFastKindaGuy
    '18 McLaren 720S, '18 Audi R8 V10 Plus, '18 Porsche Turismo Sport Turbo, '12 Cayenne Turbo, '04 Carrera GT