Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid for S6 Plus

Transmission fluid for S6 Plus

Hi,

Have you change the transmission fluid for the gearbox and for the rear diff. If so, which one did you use ?

Mr Balsen

Hi!

I know a couple of S6 and S6 PLUS owners in Sweden that uses the Castrol TAF-X 75W - 90 i the gearbox and they are very satisfied. I plan to switch to this oil this summer.

Here is a lube table from Castrol.

/Joakim

For the gearbox, I will use SAE 75W90. now I have a doubt for the rear diff. I thinkk it is a different one: SAE 90. I need confirmation this is correct.

Mr Balsen

Ok Mr. Balsen!

I have done some investigation

In the rear diff Audi says that you should use GL 5 SAE 90. The amount is 1,5 liter.

I hope i helped you a little

/Joakim

Thanks for your help. That what I thought.

And for the gearbox, it is 75W90 Gl4 / 5. do you have the same info ?

Mr Balsen

Joakim also know as Magnum P.I.....

think that's indeed a correct oil
    david

Very good.

I will change the fluid in the gearbox this afternoon as I have the right product. For the rear diff, I will have to purchase the other one.

How frequently do you change the transmission fluids ?

Mine has 165000 km and it is going to be the first time.

Mr Balsen

I just got 124000km. Oil seems ok. so I won't change it right now....
    david

Mr Balsen, Iīve got a question for you:bunny2:

As you wrote that you got the same tires as me...bridgestone potenza s-o3pp....

How much air do you pump in them???

The original pirelli p6000 should be 3.0 bar. as the documents show, and if you look in the gastank filler cap. front and rear.
    But the thing with my front tires was...that they worn out in the middle...
    This is what you get when thereīs to much air in your tire. Of course I used them on the road and track...(normal trackuse I normally ad some extra air in it, a little)

The tire supplier was really surprised by that amount of air(3 bar)...but of course he didnīt know any cars with 255 tires in the front. As I look in a tirepressure advice tabel...I canīt find the s6plus...

I wanīt to treat my tires as good as possible . check them once a week, and of course..Iīm not stupid or so, but I was really surprised by the wear...

So what did you do with your potenzaīs. I just put them on 2.9..

How many air do you use, and what is your pressure when you go on the track
    greetings
    david

Mr. Balsen, let us know if noticed any difference after you changed the oil.

Did you use Castrol?

Ok 165000 km, well then i donīt have to worry for a while, i am only halfway there with my 83000 km

And yes Magnum P.I thats me!

I finally got my VAG-COM interface to work so today there will be some ECU-Surfing

/Joakim

Hi,

Unfortunately I did not change the oil yesterday. It is because when doing the oil change I discovered a leak on the steering pump. Seems to be an Volkswagen Audi weakness, but I am verifying if this is true. Unfortunately, I also discovered the head gasket of right bank (driver side) is about to blow up. this is not a very good news in deed. this is mainly due to a broken catalyst of the right line last year. the risk is a raising temperature of the bank with a high chance of dammaging the headgasket. This what happen to me as I broke the catalyst after a super fast trip at an average speed of 200 km/h during 2 hours. Obvioulsy the headgasket did not survive this problem, despite removing the catalyst afterward. So I a going to spend the month of february repairing the engine. While the engine will be open, I will use this opportunity to do 3 things if I find reputed professionnals and proven solutions:

- New Cam (Exhaust and Intake)
    - Polish head (for a better flow)
    - Better Exhaust

If you know companies which sell cams and exhaust (like b-n pipes) or are polishing head, I am very interested. It does not matter if the company is not loacted in France as long as the job done or the products are first class. I will take as many pictures as possible for a large report on www.audipassion.com

Mr Balsen.

If you have the documentation on how to do the headgasket replacement, I am very interested.

OH NO!! Thatīs bad news :vsad2:

But i think you was lucky, that you did see it before anything broke down completely.

I am sorry but i donīt know any companies that polishes cylinderheads. Doesnīt MTM sell Cams? This company in Sweden also sells Exhaustsystem the systems are handbuilt after your specifications and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I think a catback system will cost around 900 EUR. The page are in Swedish, sorry :eye:

Of course i have the documentation on how to change the headgasket. I could send it to you by e-mail itīs in pdf-format, but itīs in German would that be a problem?

/Joakim

Well I am kind of very pessimistic. I mean there are early sign of head gasket problem. I knew it was the risk after the catalyst being broken last year in May. I will do a leak test and compression check to find out. With the V8, it is easy to find out: you compair both banks of cylinders !!! I will call MTM tomorrow morning.

I will keep you updated of the progress but I prefer to have it fix before it is getting worst.

Mr Balsen

Ok! Let me now if you want the documentation.

The values for the compression are: New engine = 14 Bar. Lowest acceptable value for a used engine are 9 Bar. Maximum deviation between all cylinders are 3 Bar.

If you didnīt know that already?

Joakim

Mr balsen....

Damm extra work. :bigeyes: If you need some certain information or so, mail me or just ask. friend of my got the original s6plus garage books...so a lot of paperwork. If you want a certain part, I can always make some copies. Unfortunately itīs not digital.
    In those books, together with the laptop, you can measure almost anything. Or at least they write how to test every thing.

Unfortunately you donīt live around the corner, otherwise I came along with everything. Bet that would Joakim do too...
    hope everything will be clear...

ps. what about your tire pressure(see question some posts above).
    other ps. I donīt got your email adress , to send you the syltmeeting info. I send you mail via this forum...did you get it??

Keep us informed about the things around your car. ...greeting and succes
    david

Of course i would David!
    S6PLUS owners should help eachother

I tested my VAG-COM interface today it worked perfectly:roll:

You said that your friend had the original S6PLUS garage books, do you know if there are any codelists in them? I need them find hidden functions with my VAG-COM . Here is an example of what i mean.

I think itīs time that Erik B makes a "S6PLUS Smile" donīt you?

/Joakim
    Last edited by AudiS6PLUS; January 26th, 2003 at 19:45.

I will ask him today Joakim. Of course the should be codes in it!!!

Do you use that computer programm yourself too?? to read out the engine , or to delete those messages like oilchange etc.....(after you put new oil on it ) it works perfect to read the fault codes. once my catalysator light showed up....plugged in the computer...did some thinking an found the fault.
    Looked on ETKA, noticed number of article. ordered it in germany....and ready

the same thing would cost me when I went to a garage 1500euro. It costed me 200(material)

Haha A s6plus smile would be great...
    you will hear from me:cool2:
    david

Thankīs David!

I have some information, but i know there should be a lot more.:eye:

Of course i use the program myself to read error codes from all the control boxes. I donīt want to pay 60 EUR to the Audi dealer everytime i want to check something :bigeyes:

No i will not use it to reset the service indications, i will leave the normal service to Audi because i want to keep my service book correct. But i donīt trust them so itīs good to have the VAG-COM to do some extra checking

Audi:s service organisation in Sweden has really really bad reputation, and there is always somthing that they havenīt done right when you get your car back from service :error:

/Joakim