Thread: Wanna add a DVD NAV unit to the RS6

Wanna add a DVD NAV unit to the RS6

Look at THIS HERE ebay link. It is a DVD NAV from overseas or an 05 A4
    http://kak.net/audi/audi-r8r.htm

But its far too expensiv.....

they cost new incl. Tax in Germany 2350.- Euros. from a Audi Dealer.

in german ebay the go about 1200.- Euros ~ 1500 $
    and you get a lot of them every day....

see this:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

yours grizzly
    ciao grizzly

*Quattro bedeutet dass man erst dort stecken bleibt, wo der Abschleppwagen nicht mehr hinkommt*
    I will translate it sometimes.

I would wait until the new A4 B7's out here, I can get all the audi vw porsche parts at cost. Let me know if anyone needs the d/c, I'll help you guys out.
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

they cost new incl. Tax in Germany 2350.- Euros. from a Audi Dealer.
    if shipped out of EU (to US ) the tax is returned/not charged providing export documents are submitted. That makes it 17% (or whatever VAT in Germany is these days) cheaper.

if you really want a navi unit you should wait till the end of feburary. Pioneer is coming out with a double din unit like the AVIC-N1.... Hear it's gonna be real nice

Originally posted by incognito
    if you really want a navi unit you should wait till the end of feburary. Pioneer is coming out with a double din unit like the AVIC-N1.... Hear it's gonna be real nice
    AVIC-D1 would be the code name for it, Yippy =)
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Will this new Pioneer AVIC system integrate?

Like many of you, I've been eagerly awaiting the RNS-E for my RS6. I have the factory installed NAV, which I don't even turn on at this point, because it is so useless.

One of the reasons why I've been waiting is to get the latest (as opposed to the older NAV+), fully-integrated factory system. By that, I guess I mean that the dash readout has Radio/CD/XM information displayed. It is, or at least should be, semi plug-and-play with the existing wiring harness. It's a factory fit and finish, too, which I prefer.

However, the more I read about the new RNS-E system, the more I wonder about the software and installation problems. The DVDs supposedly aren't available for North America, or maybe they are. And, if they are, will they require (like the NAV+ units) you do some re-programming and burn new DVDs? Moreover, it really seems you need to have an installer who knows their stuff to make it all work. That's a whole other problem as installers are kind of hard to track down and speak with and don't give me any confidence.

I've spoken with Zev at Avalon Motorsports about the RNS-E (as well as the NAV+) and he indicated that he's had enough requests to think about investing in figuring the RNS-E system out. Admittedly, this was several months ago, and I have had no further contact with Avalon. There may be updates to Avalon's pursuing the RNS-E system, and I suggest you contact them if you want to hear the status right from Avalon directly. And, even if/when Avalon sorts this out, what will the price be? The NAV+ unit was in the $3K range without install. Will RNS-E be $5K? Less? More? Who knows!

If I have misstated anything here, please excuse me. It seems to be a full-time job keeping on top of this issue. I'm of course reluctant, though, to purchase off ebay.de and have read numerous iffy stories on this and the Audiworld site about Nav-Plus.com. I do not wish to offend anyone or be accused of badmouthing, that's not what I am trying to do. I am just informing people of what I have found so far. To balance those negatives, I have indeed heard of successful dealings over ebay.de and with Nav-Plus.com.

Anyway, in this protracted waiting period, when I hear of alternatives, I look into them. This pioneer system seems kind of interesting, but does it integrate at all? Well? Easily? Prices? Thoughts? Any help is, of course, appreciated.

Cheers,

CW

RNS-E is very nice as it comes, only drawback I can bitch about so far is encrypted map format - only original maps work in the system due to proprietary format .....

AVIC-D1 is going to be a pretty tight fit i believe... the features are it are, CD/NAV/DVD, 50 gig harddrive on it, tests 0-60mph, 1/4 miles, g forces....also..when connected to the ipod, track titles and albums show up on the radio's interface...Nonetheless, its also touch screen....I dont know but this unit seems to have me by the hand, guess i'll just have to wait and see

what's the difference between AVIC-D1 and AVIC-N2 ???
    i searched and they seem to be the same

RNS-E is available in the States in the '05 allroad so faceplates, etc., aren't a problem. pretty much everything is ready to go including the map DVDs for U.S. some allroad owners have found out that RNS-E is available in the form of parts through Audi dealers since Oct of '04. now the only question is whether you want to experiment or not...

i'm waiting for some handful of "i did it" to look over before going for that RNS-E nav unit myself. it's suppose to be quite nice, all integrated with the Audi system and such. and, it has two SD memory slots to play digital audios files.

by the way, i'd be wary of purchasing Euro RNS-E units. there might be minor incompatibilities including possible FM/AM screw ups. and as geniune U.S. units are available i don't see the point of purchasing Euro units anymore.

i think the avic-n2 is the wrong name for the avic-d1...althought a new single din play may come out and thats what they are prolly talking about but the avic-d1 is the new double din that is coming out...

there might be minor incompatibilities including possible FM/AM screw ups
    vBob,

this is only the tunning steps so it should not be that much of a problem (100 kHz Euro versus 200 kHz US). Worse the other way around.

TV tuner has ALL formats including NTSC

the days of manufacturing different electronic units for individual markets are pretty much over unless there is a significant cost saving, most of the time the various differences are addressed in software.

Hello! I have installed the Rns_E new navigation unit in my RS6 (bose system) with the cable which I bought from qufatec company and everything works fine now. I have the radio am fm and cd/mp3. My speakers work fine too. The only problems I have are the:

1. XM satelite radio which I don't know my unit can support it or not?
    2. And I don't have still the DVD navigation disk for U.S. maps.

Please contact me if you have any question and if you have and information about the U.S. DVD map disk and XM radio.

royalgotvideo@aol.com
    Thank you.