Thread: Convertible RS6?

Convertible RS6?

I'd be curious to know if any other RS6 owners have considered doing a custom convertible top for their car - actually removing the roof section and installing a convertible top.

Is this do-able?

Re: Convertible RS6?

Originally posted by JA
    I'd be curious to know if any other RS6 owners have considered doing a custom convertible top for their car - actually removing the roof section and installing a convertible top.

Is this do-able?
    I'm no expert but my educated guess is that there probably are places in Southern California, at least, that could/might do it. I've seen past TV coverage featuring companies there that can make a convertible out of just about anything. Some have been doing it for many years, catering largely to celebrity owners with big budgets.

On the other hand, convertible bodies of any ilk tend to flex more, and custom ragtops likely would bend even more. Plus the RS6 is a heavy car which, in my opinion, already has enough flex for a sedan. Personally I would not want to risk the possible consequences of more flex, given the car's performance capabilities; i.e. consequences that might range from an onslaught of squeaks to handling problems IMO.

And then there's the money. On a scale of $ to $$$$$, figure $$$$$$$$$$$$$ (In other words I have no idea how much, but it wouldn't surprise me if a conversion cost $40K or more.)

If you still want to proceed after hearing all that, go for it -- and please keep us posted!

Hey, buy a Murciélago Spider instead.

Just an idea
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

I forgot to mention earlier that the RS6 being a 4-door makes any ragtop conversion extremely difficult.

What would be cool was an RS6 with AeroTop / Glass-Top.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE!!! I WOULD LOVE IT.

or Carbon-fiber top would be nice as well.
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    no.... just...... no........ RS6 is meant to be Sedan or Avant.... its meant to make ppl feel stupid when they get smoked by one.... just like RS2 and RS4

Cutting the roof from an A6 body shell would basically screw it.
    The frame of the body (including, of course, the roof and window frames) is what makes the car stiff.
    If you cut the roof off, you'd lose all the structual rigidity of the shell. You could, of course, fabricate a frame within the lower body to remove the flex caused by removing the roof, but this would weigh a serious amount, so in effect, you'd lose all your performace through reduced power to weight. then this frame has to go somewhere, and you're pretty tight on "in Body"space in an A6 anyway.
    Then, as rightly pointed out earlier in thread, is that you have four doors on an RS6, so you'd have a nightmare to securely locate the back ones correctly. There's good reason why auto manufacturers dont make 4 door convertibles !
    You could prob get it done by one of the countless So-Cal custom fabricators, but I imagine it'd suck. who knows....
    Good luck anyway, and if you get it done, please post the pictures on rs.com as I'd love to see the result.
    Last edited by Graeme; September 29th, 2004 at 18:24.