Thread: Help! Need some advice on brakes...

Help! Need some advice on brakes...

It seems that when I drive my RS6 aggressively - highway driving, for example, or just faster speeds on twisty roads in which a fair amount of braking is involved - my brakes make a noise which seems to go well beyond the squeaking or squealing noise I have come to accept with the stock RS6 brakes.

As an example, if I've been doing some faster, more aggressive driving, and then I slow down to normal city-type driving, I get a loud noise when I brake into a stoplight, for example. It's the kind of noise that attracts attention and would make me think if I heard it that the guy had a problem with his car.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone here who has had similar noise.

I recently had my dealer take a look when I had the car in for the recall, but they said everything was fine and safe with the brakes, and that they were working as they should. I realized afterward that this is probably because the car was not "hot" from faster driving when they looked the brakes over.

Thanks very much in advance.

Is it a grinding sound?

No...

...it doesn't sound like a grinding noise. It's more like a very loud, high-pitched squeal...

Sounds normal. I noticed that the hotter my brakes get, the louder the squealing.

I figured my old S4 squealed less because it was small piggie. The RS6 squeals more, because it's large piggie.

It's really painful, as I find myself clinching my teeth when it happens. Must break the pattern.

Do you know if there is some aftermarket upgrade I can do which would make it go away? Assuming I wouldn't void my warranty? Thanks in advance.

I just changed standard rotors (in Europe) which were quiet to ones with holes and the squeal started to appear as you describe.
    Peace All

Marcin
    RS6 Avant Daytona Grey - MTM stage 2 - 508HP/700Nm

Re: Help! Need some advice on brakes...

Originally posted by JA
    As an example, if I've been doing some faster, more aggressive driving, and then I slow down to normal city-type driving, I get a loud noise when I brake into a stoplight, for example. It's the kind of noise that attracts attention and would make me think if I heard it that the guy had a problem with his car.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone here who has had similar noise.
    I concur with others who report that it happens to them, especially as the brakes get hotter. When REALLY hot, my brakes sounds like a referee is blowing a whistle. In fact, the first time this happened, it was at NHIS. I was flying down the front straight and braking hard to prepare to enter the South Chicane. Suddenly there was a LOUD whistling sound. I immediately looked at the flag station because my first reaction was I thought I was getting black flagged for something but it must have been SO BAD that the flagger was blowing a whistle at me!!

Now this happened with aftermarket Pagid Grey pads, but similar sounds come out of the OE pads, which are also made by Pagid.

I think I remember reading in another thread on brakes here that the squealing is a result of the higher metallic content in the brake pads used for the RS6. Admittedly, it can be a little embarassing to pull into a gas station when the brakes are especially loud, so I am now an opportunist who refills his gas tank when his brakes are having a "low squeal" day.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

This is always happens after track days or inspierd driving. A few days later whit normal driving and its gone. Have stock pads on.

I guess im a pervert but i like it when it sounds. Hell only for the reason i could put on pagid gres like JJV. To se the looks of peopels face driving my Avant sounding like a train at my golf club
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..