Thread: Tire Wear Experience?

Tire Wear Experience?

After just 12k miles, I must replace my OEM 255/40-18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000s due to inner-edge wear and "cupping".

This seems very premature to me as I'm not an aggressive driver, have not tracked my RS6, and have been prudent in maintaining recommended tire pressure and rotation schedule.

My dealer believes 10 to 15k miles is to be expected due to the RS6's suspension. I'm not so sure.

I'd appreciate your feedback and tire wear experience.

Thanks - Mark in Phoenix

Try the link below for starters. Luke@tirerack ultimately saw the photo shown & called back to say the problem was "too much negative camber." I now have new Pirellis on & did alignment, which was off but not by a lot. The Audi tech thought the misalignment was NOT enough, by itself, to explain the wear shown.

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/7286.phtml
    Last edited by JAXRS6; August 17th, 2004 at 01:01.

I got 18,000 miles out of my Dunlop's but they had the same problem and I did not notice it until they came off. I have PS2's we will see what happens with them and I am going to get the dealer to do an alignment when I go in for service next month that is just another thing to add to the list.
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

did alignment, which was off but not by a lot. The Audi tech thought the misalignment was NOT enough, by itself, to explain the wear shown
    JAX, the dealer is pretty much full of it - off but not a lot will do to the tire exactly as you see it ..... Audi tech should take a class on alignment and effects on tires ...

did they pay for the service under warranty?

gg

Originally posted by gjg
    JAX, did they pay for the service under warranty?
    No, because the mutual understanding from the start was that it's not covered under warranty -- and technically, it is not. But it IS covered under Audi Assurance, the separate program that pays for oil changes etc. which are not warranty issues. So, I raised the Audi Assurance issue today (Mon) when dealer called to ask how things were going; service writer is supposed to get back to me, hopefully with a refund. Stay tuned.

sorry - I meant the 3 or 4 year or whatever it is maintenance program. AOA did cover alignments on my S6 for duration - at least my dealer did not charge a penny for it for three years and they did it twice a year - spring and fall.

gg

A friend's RS6 was one of the first wiht sports susp. and came with completly wrong settings. The tires were "gone" in no time but Audi gave him new tires and changed the setting so now there are no wear problems.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

My RS6 came with totally wrong alignement from the factory. Fortunately I checked it and had it corrected early enough and no damage was done.

Otherwise the inner thread of the tyres would have not lasted very long.

Ditto for our first S3.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

MarkeRS6,

As Jax says that link disscusses at length the issue. From my own experience your wear is not normal at at. I AM a VERY agressive driver (LOTS of back road weekends!) with driver events as well and still got over 15K. Considering how I drive the Beast I thought that was pretty good. If you're not that agressive than you shouls be good for 20+ as Jax was able to get that out of his Pirellis.
    Ben

I had to replace my 2 rear tires only at 15,000 miles - does that seem unusual? It did to me.

Finnus

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Originally posted by Finnus
    I had to replace my 2 rear tires only at 15,000 miles - does that seem unusual? It did to me.

Finnus

Yes....that seems very unusual to me too. Assuming that those rear tires were ON the rear most of the time and proper rotations were not done....the fronts will normally wear down unevenly/faster than the rears since that is where most of the weight and relative stress from cornering occurs.

Originally posted by Finnus

Finnus

Finnus

Just depends. As I posted I changed mine around the same mileage (but that was due mostly to my driving style ). I will say that the wear was very even across all four tires.

If you don't drive that agressive than 20K should seem more like it.
    Ben

Hmm, my first set of P Zeros went in 7000 miles and I tend to get about 11-12k out of a set of CSC2s. Different driving style on the roads here perhaps?
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Originally posted by TheBrit
    Hmm, my first set of P Zeros went in 7000 miles and I tend to get about 11-12k out of a set of CSC2s. Different driving style on the roads here perhaps?
    I hear you roads are pretty darn bad so sounds about right

avdh,

Can you post the factory specified alignment specs? Are they same for left and right-side steering?