Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the RS6?

Why the RS6?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering exactly why members of this board bought the RS6, and why I should by it, over say, the E39 M5.

Can you tell me any noticable advantages it has over the BMW. I'm mostly interested in performance, as you can't go wrong with either of these cars luxury. I havn't yet driven an RS model, but I can say the M5 doesn't dissapoint.

Thanks for the thoughts,
    Cheers

AWD + automatic = unbelievable ability to merge

I drove an M5, was duly impressed, but only a few remained at dealers by the time my RS6 arrived because the M5 went out of production. That was almost a year ago, and I'm surprised if you found a new one at this late date (or maybe you're considering used). Also drove an E55 AMG, for 40 miles, before deciding on the RS6.

The biggest and most obvious advantage of the RS6, in my opinion, is all wheel drive. AWD is not only useful in snow and rain; it is a terrific aid when merging into heavy traffic on dry pavement, too. Traction control can help all these cars, of course, but in the Benz at least it generated a jerky sensation that did not inspire confidence. I didn't drive the M5 long or hard enough to experience its traction control. As I'm sure you know, AWD comes standard on the RS6 but is not even offered as an option on the other two.

By "merging into heavy traffic" I mean the following: I spend my winters in an area of Florida where Hwy 41 is the main thoroughfare. It is almost always heavily congested with a speed limit of 45 and many people going 50 or more. Merging into that traffic from the many stores etc. that are not near stop lights requires not only exceptoinal power but exceptional traction. If I knew I was going to experience a jerky sensation, I wouldn't do it; and if I had a manual transmission, I wouldn't do it either because of the danger of a missed shift. But with AWD and the automatic, no sweat; I'm able to merge into tiny traffic holes and get up to speed before getting whacked, or for that matter before causing other drivers to brake. And I suspect that for many of them, the reason they don't brake is that I'm already merged before they have time to react.

Aside from all the above, its nice to have a car that there are only 20 or so in each state (avg). There are endless amounts of BMW M3's and M5's and Mercedes but I never see anyone chase them down just to give them a thumbs up sign.. The RS6 is both unique and rare.. A special and amazing performance machine....

I agree with all of the above. But one of the biggest factors for me is the sleeper quality of the RS6 (or most S or RS Audis for that matter). Few people recognize them, whereas more people will recognize an M or AMG. Even if they don't, they still pay more attention (in both good and bad ways) to a BMW or Merc.

Also, there's a feel to the whole car that is hard to describe. M cars are definitely more edgy and give more feedback, but the RS6 lke most Quattros has a planted, unshakeable road feel and an enduring sense of quality that I really like.
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Thanks to all for the replies,

It seems to me the RS6 just offers an amazing all around package, and I feel this reflects what i've noticed in audi and BMW in general. Audi's i've driven have always been close or matched BMW performance, but they lack (or more just don't give the same as a BMW) the certain quality that makes me sit at my desk and dream of slipping through gears on a country road. They seem to make this up, however, in the solid quality of their car in every condition, whenever its driven.

Love them both, just hoping i can drive an RS6 someday, wow.
    Cheers,

Big Country,
    East Coast is very open can you be more specific just out of curiosity.
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

Re: AWD + automatic = unbelievable ability to merge

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    By "merging into heavy traffic" I mean the following: I spend my winters in an area of Florida where Hwy 41 is the main thoroughfare. It is almost always heavily congested with a speed limit of 45 and many people going 50 or more. Merging into that traffic from the many stores etc. that are not near stop lights requires not only exceptoinal power but exceptional traction. If I knew I was going to experience a jerky sensation, I wouldn't do it; and if I had a manual transmission, I wouldn't do it either because of the danger of a missed shift. But with AWD and the automatic, no sweat; I'm able to merge into tiny traffic holes and get up to speed before getting whacked, or for that matter before causing other drivers to brake. And I suspect that for many of them, the reason they don't brake is that I'm already merged before they have time to react.
    This the primary reason that got me thinking about the RS6 over the M5. I used to own a E39 540i/6 and had difficulty "merging into heavy traffic" from a standstill on our Route 1 in Massachusetts, especially during rainy days or anytime there was gravel/sand on the side of the road. I figured if I had difficulty hooking up in the 540i, then fuggetaboutit in an M5. If I left on the traction control, it would kill all my power. If I turned off the traction control, I would rip right through first gear while barely moving and then hook up mid-second. In both cases, cars would be giving me the international peace sign for attempting to merge and forcing them to get hard on the brakes.

In the RS6... just mash and go. It's a beautiful thing. I can never imagine having a RWD or FWD daily driver in a car with anything over 200HP/200ft-lbs of torque for power. I used to have the same problem merging with a FWD Nissan Maxima prior to the 540i.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Beautifully said. It's an astounding thing, really. I wish I had pictures of the looks of awe on other drivers' faces when they've seen me hit cruising speed almost instantaneously on the merges.

Thanks again for the posting all.

Its seems like the AWD strikes hard with alot of audi drivers - not to mention auto transmision. Keeps me wondernig though, with the new E60 M5 on the horizon, would an SMG semi auto gearbox and x-drive (BMW's all wheel drive) turn any heads, or is there something more to the audi. I guess with a bigger engine and all this is a different question, however, at about the same price as the RS6, its going to be a tough competition. Just looking for thoughts,

Thanks,
    cheers,

Originally posted by BigCountry
    Keeps me wondernig though, with the new E60 M5 on the horizon, would an SMG semi auto gearbox and x-drive (BMW's all wheel drive) turn any heads,
    Anybody who knows anything about BMW's X-Drive would not bother turning their head - have you ever driven it fast and in marginal conditions? Its awful.

Its great that you are asking questions about cars, and asking for drivers' experiences, but if you are not going to buy either an M5 or an RS6, its a bit of a waste of time, isn't it?

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    Its great that you are asking questions about cars, and asking for drivers' experiences, but if you are not going to buy either an M5 or an RS6, its a bit of a waste of time, isn't it?

R+C [/B]
    The only stupid question is the one that's not asked.

:s4addict: -Audihead

Who said I wouldn't buy either of these cars?

Cheers,

Who said I wouldn't buy either of these cars?
    Exactly. In my opinion Nordschleife, who has demonstrated a lot of knowlege & been very hepful in previous threads, needs an attitude adjustment on this one for posing a question to you that seems unfounded and a bit rude.

As for your questions, BMW offering AWD on the new M5 is news to me. Where did you hear/see/read that?
    Last edited by JAXRS6; July 22nd, 2004 at 21:57.

Ha, thanks for your support JAXRS6,

actually I know for a fact that the new M5 will not have AWD, i was using that statement for argument purposes. Sorry for the confusion. As of now all M cars follow the philosophy of rear wheel drive only, however, there has been talk for future M's, including the M5 down the road, to have AWD.

IMHO, however, one unfortunate side effect about the new M philosphy, is the current standard 6-speed will be lost to the new SMG III. should be nice, but as i'm biased towards a gear shift lever, it will be missed. Good news for any RS6 lookers though,

cheers,

Keeps me wondernig though, with the new E60 M5 on the horizon, would an SMG semi auto gearbox and x-drive (BMW's all wheel drive) turn any heads, or is there something more to the audi.
    Apart from what I said above, I can't stand the styling of the new 5 series. I never thought I would admit that styling would make or break my decision about a performance car, but I really find the new 5er putrid.
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Originally posted by Hy Octane
    Aside from all the above, its nice to have a car that there are only 20 or so in each state (avg). There are endless amounts of BMW M3's and M5's and Mercedes but I never see anyone chase them down just to give them a thumbs up sign.. The RS6 is both unique and rare.. A special and amazing performance machine....
    "20 per state"

I dont know about that. I heard that in this area NY/NJ/CT there are 400 or so alone. Speedtechnik chipped 25 in this area. probably at least a 100 in major states like NY, CA and FL also more RS6s went to colder states. I am shure by now some of them have been shipped around.
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Originally posted by nyrs6
    "20 per state"
    20 x 50 states = 1000 cars. Not far from reality, I suspect, since AOA admits only to "a little over 1,000" which, according to my owner advocate, probably means around 1200. And if it is 1200, that still comes out to only 24 per state.

Remember, there are lots of states without lots of people: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Dakotas, etc. Not that the RS6 wouldn't do well or be popular in those places, but there just aren't many people, period -- let alone many who can afford vehicles selling for $70-85K.

By the way, how many miles on your OCT chip & how is it doing? That may seem like off topic from this thread, but it brings up another plus for the RS6: Since its engine is turbocharged and managed by a computer, it can gain a lot more hp and torque with the addition of an aftermarket ECM chip.
    Last edited by JAXRS6; July 23rd, 2004 at 05:35.