Thread: Do your brakes squeal?

Do your brakes squeal?

I get annoying brake squeal on a daily basis. To clear it up, I’ll do some hard braking or hit the brakes with the pressure washer. Is there a fix or an Audi OEM replacement pad to combat brake squeal? Do any of you experience this?

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by highrustler; June 23rd, 2004 at 17:10.

I get the squeal for a short time after I wash the car.
    A few hard stops cures the problem for me.

I am am getting or should I say was getting squeal. I brought the car in and they said oh we will change them at 25,000 mile service. I brought it back and said hey there are grooves in my rotors and they are squealling. I just came back fro there and they said they are having to change the pads and rotors. They said the grooves were to deep to even grind out.
    I wish I had a picture of the grooves but I do not.
    -Stuart
    P.S. hope this helps
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

I've been getting a squeal since day one and sometimes a grinding sound.

All sounds familiar, I'm on my 3rd set of discs (or is it 4th?) and all of them have exhibited squeal, faint cracking and grooving.

The brakes just get too hot hauling 4000lbs down from high speeds, and can't cool down properly, plus the high metallic content of the pads causes extra squeal if it accumulates.

Pressure washer and a hard stop or two with cool brakes seem to be the only temporary cure. It always returns.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

it's because they are cross-drilled rotors. it's normal. don't worry about it.

Originally posted by audirs6sport
    it's because they are cross-drilled rotors. it's normal. don't worry about it.
    I'm sorry, but that's totally false, IMO. With cross-drilling you may expect a slight 'hiss' or 'whoosh' as the pads contact the discs, but squealing is not caused by cross-drilling.

Fixed calipers (fronts on the RS6) are prone to pad squeal because they are just that: fixed. It can be notoriously difficult to get rid of, even if you play around with antisqueal paste on the backs of the pads, etc. Sometimes proper bedding-in helps (most people don't do this on street vehicles but there's no reason not to).

My pads squealed when I first picked up the car. After driving home (about 400 km) I went to an empty backroad and bedded in the brakes. There has been no squeal since then, and I'm now at 2900 km.
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Yep Same deal here.. mine seem to be ok when cool, but after repeated stop n go's in city driving they heat up and start squealing.. Temperature seems to be the key with mine.. A couple of harder stops from speed clears it up..

James - I'm dropping mine off at Prestige tonight to have them check the suspension. I have the same squealing and am having them look at that too.

Originally posted by SpinEcho
    I'm sorry, but that's totally false, IMO. With cross-drilling you may expect a slight 'hiss' or 'whoosh' as the pads contact the discs, but squealing is not caused by cross-drilling.

Fixed calipers (fronts on the RS6) are prone to pad squeal because they are just that: fixed. It can be notoriously difficult to get rid of, even if you play around with antisqueal paste on the backs of the pads, etc. Sometimes proper bedding-in helps (most people don't do this on street vehicles but there's no reason not to).

My pads squealed when I first picked up the car. After driving home (about 400 km) I went to an empty backroad and bedded in the brakes. There has been no squeal since then, and I'm now at 2900 km.

my mistake, i was thinking about something totally different. the squealing sound is normally due to the vibration caused by perhaps more aggressive brake pads (racing pads perhaps), or it can be just because it's a pos cheap set of brake pads. Between the caliper and pad, there is what's called an anti-vibration shim, which behaves like a cushion, and attempts to reduce the vibration noise (squealing, etc.). another reason could be is ur just driving the shit out of the car, the brakes are kinda overheated, and end up not performing at it's peak level. kinda like saying hey i can't handle all this stress on me!! =) if you are driving the shit out of ur car everyday, i would suggest on getting racing pads, but they do require to be warmed up for optimal performance.

Originally posted by audirs6sport
    if you are driving the shit out of ur car everyday, i would suggest on getting racing pads, but they do require to be warmed up for optimal performance.
    Bad idea for the street, and racing pads would only add to the pad squeal.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Originally posted by JJV-MA
    Bad idea for the street, and racing pads would only add to the pad squeal.
    yes racing pads will add more squealing noise because like i said they are more aggressive pads. i don't think they are bad idea for the street. i have few buddies who run on racing pads everyday, not a problem. downside is once again, they require to be warmed up. what u can do is actually have two sets of pads. if you do tracking often, u can just have a set of racing pads, and more mellow for the street. That may actually help with the squealing noise. but it all comes down to how u drive and what ur planning on doing with the car, whether daily driven car driving through the traffic to work at 20mph, or hauling ass down the road up and down just to catch someone to race, or planning on tracking every weekend.

Originally posted by TheBrit
    All sounds familiar, I'm on my 3rd set of discs (or is it 4th?) and all of them have exhibited squeal, faint cracking and grooving.

It always returns.
    After my first pad change(@8K) the squeeling stopped but then came back again. It only does it from time to time and is not too bad but a little embarassing on a 85K car:blush:

Ben