Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N Air Filters are coming !!

Thumbs up K&N Air Filters are coming !!

Finally, after several conversations with K&N and pushing them to make a filter for the car, the filters for the RS6 are comming out and we have ordered 10 pairs to start.

As always, we will dyno before / after with these to see what is up.

2 per engine in the 4.2 TT configuration.

Will keep everyone updated wih numbers when they become available.

I have no problem shipping these anywhere in the US and parts of Europe.

Brian

Just the filter? O r a whole kit?
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Do u think it will be better than dahlback system for example?

Great info, but tell us what you expect it to be - price wise and performance wise.

thx
    Peace All

Marcin
    RS6 Avant Daytona Grey - MTM stage 2 - 508HP/700Nm

what kind of long range testing have been done for these filters? k&n are notorius for causing numerous problems on other audis, including the b5 s4. ive read a few cases where people have had trouble with warranty claims due to the oil that has come off the filter and gone inside the engine.

Originally posted by EternalX
    what kind of long range testing have been done for these filters? k&n are notorius for causing numerous problems on other audis, including the b5 s4. ive read a few cases where people have had trouble with warranty claims due to the oil that has come off the filter and gone inside the engine.

I heard the same thing and was advised to stick with the original air intake system.However,a number of tuners like MTM and Sportec etc. in their packages all mention air intake upgrades.So the question is - what do these upgrades consist of?Is it just a similar to K&N filter or something more sophisticated and different?

Hmm, can't remember where I read the article that had some excellent comparative data on stock vs. aftermarket vs. no air filter. There's often little improvement from stock (particularly on specialty cars like the RS) to after market. When I raced bikes we did an amazing amount of research on how to squeeze more HP out of the modern highly, highly tuned engines from the factory and nearly every magazine, racer and weekend track warrior used stock because they were so good.

For the extremely minimal gain I'm leaving mine as-is. However, (door always open!) if anyone tries them and has objective dyno numbers let me know!!
    Dark Knight

"See God, then brake."
    - Kevin Schwantz, 500GP World Champion
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    RS6 Goodwood Green
    S4 Triple Black Cab
    350Z Nismo . . . gone
    Boxster . . . gones
    CBR1000F, 900RR, ZX7R, ZX6R, GSX-R600 . . . gone

Don't know about K&N air filters and use on Audi's, but if you search the threads on M5board.com you will find members experiences with them in M5's and other BMW's. Some like the K&N's; others had problems with oil from the filters causing problems with the MAFs (MAFS required cleaning and/or replacement). As gnomik007 stated for the Audi's, many were advised to return to the standard M5 air filters. Interesting to see how, if at all, K&N's affect the RS6 (including performance).
    ----------------------------------
    '03 BMW E39 M5
    '05 Ford Expedition EB 4WD
    '05 Honda Accord EX-V6

Re: K&N Air Filters are coming !!

Originally posted by Speed Technik
    Finally, after several conversations with K&N and pushing them to make a filter for the car, the filters for the RS6 are comming out and we have ordered 10 pairs to start.

As always, we will dyno before / after with these to see what is up.

2 per engine in the 4.2 TT configuration.

Will keep everyone updated wih numbers when they become available.

I have no problem shipping these anywhere in the US and parts of Europe.

Brian
    I ordered mine directly thru K&N for my RS6 back in the first of April 2004. They have already been made and have been out for the car for a while now.

For anyone interested call K&N directly and they will ship them out next day. Part # 33-2866 it requires 2 filters, easily installed.

The gains I found seemed to be more top end for the RS6. The faster you go, the more air that gets in........sort of a ram effect.
    Did not notice any low end gains.

I did not Dyno........just seat of the pants feel.

As for any other issues. As long as the filter is not dripping of oil and has been properly oiled and dryed.....as it comes from K&N there should not be any issues.

I have ran K&N for years in lots of differnt cars...European and American, and never had a problem.

I believe the gains to be minimal, but the better a filter can breath in more air....the better the engine can use it and get rid of it.

Schackman

PS: Resolved the issues with the RS6 and my Dealer. My RS6 is back home again. Hopefully with no other problems.
    Did not mean to rant on from the previous threads, I just wanted the car to "RUN"

price?

Can you tell us how much you payed for a pair.
    thx

Peace All

Marcin

Re: Re: K&N Air Filters are coming !!

Originally posted by schackman
    PS: Resolved the issues with the RS6 and my Dealer. My RS6 is back home again.
    That's great!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Do K&N filters let more air through and stop all the dust particles and other crap in the air like the original filter,or it lets in more air and more crap?

We have just installed a K&N kit on one of my friends Peugot 205 Rally (Far from the RS6 but...)

It really made it sound great and added a couple of extra horses

Very easy to install and 0 problems yet

" I Am A Driving God! "

I doubt the filters will provide substantial power improvements, but throttle response and intake sound will improve.

It's one for the butt-o-meter, not the dyno.

Lets hold a vote and see how many people would go for K&N filter and how many won't.It would be interesting to see the results.

Originally posted by gnomik007
    Lets hold a vote and see how many people would go for K&N filter and how many won't.It would be interesting to see the results.
    Good idea !!!

See there to vote:
    http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=4115

Last edited by TaTaPiRaTa; May 12th, 2004 at 23:00.
    Peace All

Marcin

Personally I always thought of getting the K&N setup if I was taking the car to a show of sorts. They always seem to add a few more 'wows' to the whole experience to other folks.

However, I don't think the K&N setup on the RS6 is that great looking. It might had a few more horses, but I'm more show then go anyway! I'll pass on the K&N.

Here's the setup stock and K&N side by side:

Originally posted by nene
    Personally I always thought of getting the K&N setup if I was taking the car to a show of sorts. They always seem to add a few more 'wows' to the whole experience to other folks.

However, I don't think the K&N setup on the RS6 is that great looking. It might had a few more horses, but I'm more show then go anyway! I'll pass on the K&N.

Here's the setup stock and K&N side by side:
    I think u r mistaken here.This is stock vs Dahlback kit,not K&N.