Thread: Aluminium Wing Mirrors

Aluminium Wing Mirrors

Just a note for caution really, I had my wing mirrors literally ripped off my car a few weeks ago. When I asked Audi for a quote to replace (insurance of course) they came back with nearly £1000...

However, when my car went in for the new mirrors, there was an S4 and an S3 also in the bodyshop for guess what? Yes, new door mirrors. So if you are UK based, watch your Alu mirrors - apparently the thieves have taken a real shine to them!

Re: Aluminium Wing Mirrors

Yep, happened to me too. Fixing the damage these tw*ts caused by simply ripping them off was nearly twice the price of the mirrors. Oh, what I would've done to see it happen...

I engraved my license plate number and an electronics firm put sensors on the new ones triggering the alarm - and they've remained mine since (knock on wood).

Talking

I thought the matt alum mirrors are bit flashy so I'm actually in the process of getting regular A6 mirrors and paint them into body color. I've already debadged mine. The final goal is to make it look so much like regular A6 that 99% of people out there won't know what they're looking at.

I too want to take off my aluminium mirrors partly because of the theft issue and partly because I think my all-black 6+ looks a bit odd as the mirrors are the only brightwork on the whole car. Where is the best place to get a pair of 'normal' mirrors? I imagine there is no need to go to an official Audi centre?
    Thanks
    GM

Don't forget to change the grill and the bumper covers....

LOL

Mike

Actually I need to replace the upper grill, too, because the plastic guide that holds the hood release is also broken. I thought instead of direct replacement I'd go for piece from S6 or A6 4.2. The only thing that's holding me back is the matt aluminium trim the regular grill came with. I'm wondering whether I can detach the trim and retrofit it to replace the chromed surround that comes with the S6/A6 4.2 grill... More uniform look, I suppose.

As for the mirrors I've only looked at OEM stuff. But anyway, what you're getting is a primed but unpainted mirror case. So you'll need to find someone to color-match the paint. VAGPARTS.COM is offering $73 for a set. My local stealer wants $75 per side.

My plastic guide also broke, some how it happened at the time I had my 15,000 mile service done.....emmmm

I made a guide replacement out of card board and electrical tape (ok it's a prototype, still need to fabricate it out of plastic, ya some day...)

Anyway it works, it keeps the tongue in place, I just have to push the guide back in place when I close the hood.

I figure I'll get a replacement grill some day soon, I wish they would just believe me and ship it to me, I'll pay the shipping, but Audi has to pay for the part LOL...

Mike

Hi Guys

I actually replaced my mirrors with body coloured ones. Any decent coachworks should be able to fit them reasonably easily. I think mine were around £500 eventually colour coded to the car and of course heated and electric. I would keep hold of the Alu ones though as Audi told me (I don't know if it's true) that they add value to the car... is this true I wonder?