Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMS: New S4 better than M3?

I was curious to read the perfs of the new S4, but I am a bit disapointed to see this (posted by ErikB)

0-----------------80-----100-----120-----160------200-----KM/H
    Audi------------4,5----5,7-----8,2-----13,2-----21,0
    BMW----------3,5----4,8-----6,5-----10,9-----16,8
    Mercedes-----3,7----5,0-----6,7-----11,1-----16,9

(400meter):
    Audi: 14,0
    BMW: 13,0
    Mercedes: 13,2

The new S4 is simply not as quick as the C32 & the M3. 4 seconds more lost until 200 is a lot, 1 second lost only for 400 m is also a lot.

Worse, I do not see any big improvement in comparison with the previous S4, which I think was doing about the same numbers with only 265 HP. Does someone have the same measures for the previous S4 (without chip)?

Sure the brakes have been improved, but otherwise?

I thought this V8 would do better.:mad:

Originally posted by zonek
    I was curious to read the perfs of the new S4, but I am a bit disapointed to see this (posted by ErikB)

0-----------------80-----100-----120-----160------200-----KM/H
    Audi------------4,5----5,7-----8,2-----13,2-----21,0
    BMW----------3,5----4,8-----6,5-----10,9-----16,8
    Mercedes-----3,7----5,0-----6,7-----11,1-----16,9

(400meter):
    Audi: 14,0
    BMW: 13,0
    Mercedes: 13,2

The new S4 is simply not as quick as the C32 & the M3. 4 seconds more lost until 200 is a lot, 1 second lost only for 400 m is also a lot.

Worse, I do not see any big improvement in comparison with the previous S4, which I think was doing about the same numbers with only 265 HP. Does someone have the same measures for the previous S4 (without chip)?

Sure the brakes have been improved, but otherwise?

I thought this V8 would do better.:mad:

it's alright i guess

Audi never intended to make an S4 with a performance that's superior than a M3 or perhaps a C32. they only wanted the performance of the car to be able to be comparable with M3 and C32, but with lower MSRP which hopefully will attract buyer who can't afford those 2 high performance cars.

it is RS4 which Audi is extremly serious about! especailly in beating competitors like M3 and C32 possibly even close/surpass to the performance of M5 or E55!

i don't quite like the idea of puting a V8 in a car like the S4, it can never be as sportive as a V6TT . I've read Audi wants to make it with this S4 in the US and therefor they've chosen this V8. on the other hand it's better because now there will be a bigger distinction with the RS4 (Rumours on RSx forum say 3.0TT, i hope this is true)

Originally posted by Reno
    i don't quite like the idea of puting a V8 in a car like the S4, it can never be as sportive as a V6TT . I've read Audi wants to make it with this S4 in the US and therefor they've chosen this V8. on the other hand it's better because now there will be a bigger distinction with the RS4 (Rumours on RSx forum say 3.0TT, i hope this is true)
    I donīt think the previous S4 had a very "sporty" engine. It didnīt have a fun character and didnīt sound very sporty either, without tuning that is of course.

Btw, for example the Ferrari 360 Modena and the F40 both have V8 engines. And of course the BMW M5 has a wonderful V8

personally, i don't think it's about how many cylinders it has! it's more about the weight distrubution!!

Audi seems didn't learn the failur of C43 from Mercedes-Benz!
    a V8 in a car in this size isn't going to work!!

the front of the car is going to be a lot heavier than the rear, thus leads to tremendous understeering!

Originally posted by Mr Janne

Btw, for example the Ferrari 360 Modena and the F40 both have V8 engines. And of course the BMW M5 has a wonderful V8
    Yep, but that were all specially built "race car" engines, the S4 V8 seems to come right out of the new A8. But it's not that I hate V8's, it's more that i love Turbo-power!
    Greetz

Originally posted by tifosi

the front of the car is going to be a lot heavier than the rear, thus leads to tremendous understeering!
    I've heard this engine isn't heavy at all. It is said to be the best driving audi in times. i've read in a dutch magazine (autovisie) that it understeers less, and that you can even adjust the angle of the steeringwheel with the throttle Sounds like BMW-territory to me!! It seems like a really nice car, even with my personal dislike for the V8!

personally, i don't think it's about how many cylinders it has! it's more about the weight distrubution!!

Audi seems didn't learn the failur of C43 from Mercedes-Benz!
    a V8 in a car in this size isn't going to work!!

This engine weighs the same as the old S4-engine according to Audi.

tifosi> if Audi customers have to wait the RS series to compete with the sporty series of Mercedes or BMW, I wonder if this is a good strategy.

MrJanne> I love the way my standard S4 sounds! I agree with you it is not the ultimate sport car, but it seems the V8 does not better with almost 100 HP more!

i've heard S4 has a weight distrubution of 60:40 some where else (can't recall where it was)

can someone comfirm this?!

i've heard S4 has a weight distrubution of 60:40 some where else (can't recall where it was)

can someone comfirm this?!
    RS6 has 60/40, I would guess the new S4 is better but I have no figure yet.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

From AMS

"AUDI S4: A splendourful V8-Motor and first-class handling characteristics set the yardstick in the class of the hochkaraetigen sport sedans. More comfort would round the picture off."

Originally posted by Erik B

RS6 has 60/40, I would guess the new S4 is better but I have no figure yet.
    RS6 sedan?? or avant??

by the way, that's a pretty bad distrubution!!

RS6 sedan?? or avant??
    RS6 Sedan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vikt.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	366  

The S4....

All I can say is tha the S4 is the all-round performer for ALL seasons.

There is no doubt that a car with AWD performs better in snow and wet than a car with RWD.

However, when do you enjoy your car most in dry, wet or snow?

Cheers,
    /Johan

Originally posted by johann
    There is no doubt that a car with AWD performs better in snow and wet than a car with RWD.

Cheers,
    /Johan
    The fact that the car is forgiving for everyday driving (snow, wet and dry) yet able to hold its own on the track is what makes it the all-roundperformer.

I think one's choice is dependent on what one seeks to get out of the car and what goals one has for it.

Originally posted by johann

Cheers,
    /Johan
    I personally (hope i dont get kicked out of community ) could do just aswell with RWD since i dont drive my TT in the winter! But on the other hand its good fun driving quattro in the wet!

So I dont really care if its 4WD or RWD, but since its quite a long winter at least here in sweden I can well understand those who prefer quattro!

Both has benefits, its just a matter of taste as I see it!

BR /Nicke
    [url=http://www.zon.se/bil/tester/auditt/bilder/25.jpg]Audi TT Roadster[/url] Thanks to: [url=http://www.movit-scandinavia.com][color=red]MOVIT the brakes-Scandinavia[/color][/url] [url=http://www.ace-competition.com][color=blue]ACE Competition[/color][/url]