I posted this on another thread.

Mike V's opinion is that the receiver should be high as possible, thus the position just below the mirror on the windsheild optimized reception.

The all in one design has it's cost advantages too.

I would like a unit with separate front and rear receivers for both radar and laser, but it could be a lower profile that could be mounted at the very top of the windshield in a less conspicious location, but still have the high mount advantage. This smaller reciever pair for front and back could be less visible to theives as well.

I don't care if the police see the unit, if they are close enough to even see that you have a radar detector, then they either just pulled you over, or they are next to you pointing you over LOL....

The grill mount and rear bumper mount drops reception significantly, since you are dropping the unit about 3 feet in height!

As far as the lights are concerned for night driving, the unit with the remote control is good, I have the remote display positioned on top of the steering wheel arm..this position is good and I can still hit the mute button.

ONE BIG FLAW in the V1 is the mute. In other radar detectors the mute holds for 30 seconds or so, the V1 does not! this is a pain in the ass IMHO.

As far as seeing-more-than-you-see, the V1 is tops

Mike