Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking tire recommendations

Question Seeking tire recommendations

My beast and the Pirelli P Zeros that came with it are at 16,500 miles, so it's time to start looking for tires. Would especially like to hear from owners who have experienced any of these on their RS6, since this is what I know or have been told is available in the US (with my biases in parentheses). US cars came with Dunlops or Pirellis, right? -- so I'm hoping members in Europe will post experiences with Bridgestones, Michelins & others:

- Dunlop 9000, IIRC (one post here said his shed chunks during track use)

- Pirelli P Zeros (I'm pleased with mine, never had them to a track, but one post here said they did fine for 2 days at track)

- Bridgestone S02s or S03s (FL source said Monday that S03s are now shown as available for the RS6, which was welcome news to me; I've enjoyed their excellent traction -- road & track, wet & dry -- on A4 and S4)

- Michelin Pilot Sport, IIRC (said to be very close to S03s)

I think my source mentioned another brand, maybe Japanese, but I lost my notes. But any performance tire with good traction in all conditions (except winter of course) that fits is of interest, and I hope to get no noisier than the S03s. They're not terribly loud, just loud enough.

Most prices quoted today were in low to mid 200s USD per tire, so price may not be much of a factor (among the ones shown anyway). My spring plans could include a driving course at Sebring, if my car is running good. Unlikely that I'll keep tracking the RS6, tho, since I have an '00 S4 6-spd for that.

Any suggestions, recommendations, comments, additions to the list, etc.?
    Last edited by JAXRS6; March 9th, 2004 at 06:55.

ps2

I just ordered the new Pilot Sport 2 (PS2). These have not been released in the states yet, but Michelin is days away from launching a marketing campaign. Tire Rack has been importing the PS2 in small quantities from Europe. I can only tell you they are awesome looking but I don't know the performance gain as I've not installed my new wheels yet. They are said to be superior to the PS1. Call Oscar (ext. 286) at the Tire Rack and he'll give ya the low down. He said they were hands down the best tire he's ever used on his Audi.

James

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    Last edited by highrustler; March 9th, 2004 at 06:31.

I had the Dunlop 9000's and was fairly happy with them. I think as far as a every day tire they are fine. Put them on the track, push them and they will chunk off in pieces.

I have since put on the S0-2's on and I love them...except that they are noisier then the Dulops.

I have had Pilot Sports in the past (on our S8) and I was happy with their traction. However, for how expensive they are I dont think they are worth it. $100 more per tire to me is just too much and I think the SO-2's handel better. I have been told the SO-2 will wear fairly quickly but so did the Pilot Sports.

Oh and some of the US spec RS6's did get the Pilot Sports from the factory.

I dont have any experience with the Pirelli's except I got a ride in a RS4 at Thunderhill in January that was wearing them. The driver (former race car driver) of the car who ownes a two car A4 race team (speed GT) said he was surpries with how well pirellis handled the track. I must say they were fairly quite....much quietier then the Dunlops when pushed.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Last edited by Bauer; March 9th, 2004 at 17:15.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Re: Seeking tire recommendations

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    My beast and the Pirelli P Zeros that came with it are at 16,500 miles, so it's time to start looking for tires.
    Any suggestions, recommendations, comments, additions to the list, etc.?
    As with your's my Beast also came with Pirellis. I've had them at the track, in great weather, in total down pour, heck, i've even had them in the snow while it was snowing! Overall i've been very impressed with their performance. Like Bauer noted with his Dunlops, the only possible complaint i have with the Pirellis is that i do not find them to be very quiet. Other than that a great choice to stick with.
    Ben

Like Bauer noted with his Dunlops, the only possible complaint i have with the Pirellis is that i do not find them to be very quiet.
    The Dunlops are quiet...the SO-2's are not....sorry if I made that confusing.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Check out the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. According to the Tire Rack website, it has equvalent handling in its category with superior ride comfort, noise and wear for about the same price. I have no first hand experience to offer but there are over 300 comments on the Tire Rack website.

Bob

Originally posted by Bauer
    I dont have any experience with the Pirelli's except I got a ride in a RS4 at Thunderhill in January that was wearing them. The driver (former race car driver) of the car who ownes a two car A4 race team (speed GT) said he was surpries with how well pirellis handled the track. I must say they were fairly quite....much quietier then the Dunlops when pushed.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Sorry Ben. I took this as the Dunlops being a bit noisy.

But i guess you were refering to the "squeeling"

Ben

Originally posted by oregonbob
    Check out the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    I did -- thanks, oregonbob! I've heard of these, wasn't sure of availability or fit for an RS6, but my local Goodyear dealer says they will work on the RS6 & can be had at $282 ea. I'm thinking about it, along with everything else posted here. Thanks again!
    (Edit: earlier I quoted prices here but some included install & balance while others I'm not sure about, so I removed that text.)

Like Bauer I think the Dunlop 9000 sucks on track. Ran Nurburgring last year whit RS4, and when D9000 overheat big pices fly off!
    From my knowledge Nurburgring is kind to rubber due to the high speed (cooling ). Ran some short slower tracks in Sweden and it was totaly distroyd.
    This has never happend when I used Michelin, ok they all wear down by these hevy cars, but not like the D9000!
    7-11april Im going to Nurburgring whit Erik and PVs 996TT and my RS6 Avant 19"BBS Ch and Conti. But in the back trunk 18" rims and Pirelli pzero Corsa, hope to have some more fun, more grip and more laps. And of course save alot of money by not wearing down the Contis ,they cost me more than twice the pzero corsa. Also the regular street rubber like D9000 Conti and other will not last as long as pzero corsa and simular on track(this is what I heard ). Whit the right load index on the corsa i hope this will work. Hope to see more RS6 this weekend!!
    PS sorry for my por english.
    8:50 RS4
    "learn by doing"

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    I did -- thanks, oregonbob! I've heard of these, wasn't sure of availability or fit for an RS6, but my local Goodyear dealer says they will work on the RS6 & can be had at $282 ea. I'm thinking about it, along with everything else posted here. Thanks again!
    (Edit: earlier I quoted prices here but some included install & balance while others I'm not sure about, so I removed that text.)
    The Goodyear's are on sale at Tire Rack for $214. At this price, they are definitely worth a try!

James
    Last edited by highrustler; March 10th, 2004 at 04:02.

tyres

Anyone try the new Bridgestone Potenza RE50? I don't see an 18" but they are available in 255/35-19. They are the OEM choice for the MB E55 and Ferrari Enzo. Must be one heck of a tire. The price is right at $241 each. Here’s the link:

james

Originally posted by 8:50 RS4
    But in the back trunk 18" rims and Pirelli pzero Corsa, hope to have some more fun, more grip and more laps. And of course save alot of money by not wearing down the Contis ,they cost me more than twice the pzero corsa.

Now there are some tires as long as your main concern is HANDLING!!! Curious. Are they really that much cheaper than the Contis?
    Ben

Thank you all -- very informative! Ditto for this survey:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/max.jsp

Special thanks to oregonbob, whose link got me to the survey...and to highrustler, for pointing out the sale price that I missed when I looked the first time. I'm leaning towards the Goodyears but was heartened to see my other top choices so far, the S03s and P Zeros, ranked 2nd and 3rd.

I'm wondering if Toyo, not on the list, is the Japanese brand someone mentioned earlier to me, since Toyo is doing the tires for Champion's racing RS6s. Does anyone know if Toyo has an RS6 tire for the street? If not now, maybe soon?
    Last edited by JAXRS6; March 10th, 2004 at 07:50.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Benman
    Now there are some tires as long as your main concern is HANDLING!!! Curious. Are they really that much cheaper than the Contis?
    Ben
    [/QUOTE

even on recomended price list they are much cheaper, but I get pzero corsa 18" for 215 euro a pice and list price is 326-400eur. And they should last longer on track if onley used ther, comperd to normal street tires. In the end I think it will be cheaper if you have the extra setup of 18"rims and the avant to load them in(ha,hajust kidding about avant.

(By the way, this place is perfect to improve my english!)

8:50 RS4
    "learn by doing"

Toyo is the series tyre - it could be good, bad or indifferent its the same for everybody. Toyos in Europe are popular on RS4s in the UK, because they are comparatively cheap for the performance offered.
    The Yokohama AVS Sport is an excellent tyre, but make sure is is made to European specs and has a load rating of at least 96, in the 19 inch size you have to go oversize, which is no bad thing as it gives better rim protection.
    The tyre all the hot shoes get from the factory is the Continental Sport Contact 2 - in 19 inch 96 load rating (and the 2 is very important). Its strictly a summer tyre, its excellent under aquaplaning conditions at high speed, part of the tread is positively sticky, like a slick. I far prefer the handling characteristics of the car on the 19 inch wheels and the braking is greatly enhanced.
    For a DOT legal tyre which will give best performance on the track look to the Michelin Pilot Sport CUP tyre or the only slightly slower Pirelli PZero CORSA. These are expensive and don't offer great milage burt they are excellent tyres.
    Do take care with the description of these tyres, if ordering them, the names are very like those of regular tyres. It is also really important to select a load rating of 96 or higher, for two reasons, one is safety at speed, and the other is that as the load rating goes up, the internal construction of the tyre changes and this changes the behavioural characteristics of the tyre. Also, I well remember last year, taking a tyre off a car after a high speed test(over 200 mph), the inside was in ribbons, if that had burst at speed, I prefer not to think of the consequences.
    I do think it is a good idea to be very careful with the results of tyre comparisons which are based upon customer opinions, very few customers are judging from an informed view point and most are justifying their purchase, even comparing new tyre X with old tyre Y is not terribly helpful, if you think about it.
    HTH
    R+C

I have to say that for once I'm very happy with the tyres that came on my car, the Conti SC2's mentioned above, they really are very good indeed.

From other vehicles I can highly recommend AVS Sport's too, although tyres can and do perform extremely differently on different vehicles of course and I've not driven an RS6 with them fitted.

For "road legal" track tyres, the Pilot Sport Cup has no betters IMHO, had them on my Porsche and they were fantastic for a "road" tyre.
    Alan
    RS6 Avant
    Golf R32
    Ultima CanAm ([url]http://www.pbase.com/algape/ultima[/url])

Originally posted by AlanN
    I have to say that for once I'm very happy with the tyres that came on my car, the Conti SC2's mentioned above, they really are very good indeed.

From other vehicles I can highly recommend AVS Sport's too, although tyres can and do perform extremely differently on different vehicles of course and I've not driven an RS6 with them fitted.

For "road legal" track tyres, the Pilot Sport Cup has no betters IMHO, had them on my Porsche and they were fantastic for a "road" tyre.

Yes Alan, but then not only do you like driving, but you CAN drive, can't say that about many people, unfortunately.

R+C

According to Tirerack.com comparo test, the new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 is the better than the Bridgestone S03 (My favourite), and the latest version of the GY
    F1

GY vs. B/Stone vs. Michelin

Graphs
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]