Thread: Oil Cooler Job Questions

Toolbox Oil Cooler Job Questions

Hello everyone,

I am told my beast needs an oil cooler job which consists of the following options:

A) Band aid:
    - Oil Filter
    - Redo threads

B) Proper Fix:
    -Oil Filter Housing
    -Oil Cooler
    -Oil Sleeve
    - Set of O rings for cooler
    - Set of O rings for sleeve

Was informed that parts are not the issue with respect to cost; however this service requires the dreaded engine out service position that takes about 24 labor hours for which I am told cost is about $3500.

Trying to decide if I am going to move forward with the repairs, sell car whole or break her down & if yes to first option (repair & enjoy) will need to source parts described in section B above & need suggestions on best places to look &
    also curious if anyone has been able to accomplish this fix without doing full engine out.

Either way if I do fix I am sure there are other things that need addressed such as metal Bufkin Pipe, Valve cover gaskets etc. please make suggestions any input appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240224_122645_WhatsApp.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	19753  
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

What is leaking? The Sandwich plate, the small Cooler, or the larger Aluminum Casting that the Cooler is bolted too? There are aftermarket alternatives if the Oil filter/Cooler Sandwich plate is bad as the same piece was used on the B5 RS4, not sure if it was used on the B5 S4.

https://tteglobal.com/audi/s4/b5-2.7...-the-b5-016-05

https://www.ilcats.ru/audi/?function...81&language=en
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    What is leaking? The Sandwich plate, the small Cooler, or the larger Aluminum Casting that the Cooler is bolted too? There are aftermarket alternatives if the Oil filter/Cooler Sandwich plate is bad as the same piece was used on the B5 RS4, not sure if it was used on the B5 S4.

https://tteglobal.com/audi/s4/b5-2.7...-the-b5-016-05

https://www.ilcats.ru/audi/?function...81&language=en
    Need to ask the gentleman who diagnosed the issue & get back with you on the details,, appreciate your input as always! The following was suggested over on the Audizine.com board...can anyone confirm or deny this detail on the engine out need or lack of?

Quote Originally Posted by Bordom View Post
    I don't think it's an engine out job on the RS6, but I could be wrong. You can do the NA 4.2 cars in about 6 hrs if you know what you're doing.

Sent from my Power Armor 18T using Tapatalk
    Would be excellent news for me if the engine can stay in
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front of Engine RS6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	19754
    It can be done no doubt with the engine in but I think you'll have to put a hoist or crossbar across the top of the engine to hold it up as you will need to drop the whole subframe which means disconnecting the bottom portion of the suspension. Pics from my engine from one of the two removal/installs I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right side of engine.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	19755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	19756  
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

You can definitely do it without pulling the engine but as above - you’ll need the crossbar to hold the engine…