Thread: Help Needed Re: Power Steering

Mech Help Needed Re: Power Steering

My RS6 crapped the bed with my wife driving. Symptoms she described are/were: Erratic rattling noise - don't know if it was tied to RPM's. Fluid out the bottom lined up with Steering Wheel. And steering became very difficult.

So, we went to the site of the event and found the fluid had leaked for a half mile from where she first started feeling something up, to where she eventually came to rest. She doesn't really know when the rattling noise started 'cause she had the radio on nearly until she stopped.

1. Is it the Power Steering Pump?

2. If so, do we replace with rebuild OEM or new? And where is it located / How much should labor cost?

3. If it something other than the Power Steering Pump, then what is your best guess? Hose? If so, how would a split hose cause noise?

Anyway, I'm welcoming any advice and opinions. Thank You.
    Last edited by BLITZEN; June 20th, 2023 at 20:55.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS Pump.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	19726
    PS pump seen from front in the service position. Hate to be the one to say it but if the rack has to come out I think it's an engine drop or at least need to lower the assembly at least 6". Maybe add some fluid and start it up and observe where it's coming from.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

UPDATE: Last night I had the car towed to my house where I was able to hear what my wife was describing which wasn't what I had imagined. In the engine bay, the engine ran quite quietly. So I really think it's only the leak that needs addressing. Pump? Hose?

With these cars my fear is always about what replacement parts are available. Is the hose anything unique to the RS6? Or is it something I can find new? And the pump?

Thanks Again.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA