Thread: 03 RS6 Will Not Start

03 RS6 Will Not Start

Hello,
    I need some help. My RS6 has been parked for about 2 years. My alternator died right at around 70k miles (timing belt time) and I procrastinated because I did the 35k service and didn’t enjoy it. So now I’m motivated to get her going again, put in a fresh battery and turn the key and nothing. Everything electrical seems to work but the starter doesn’t even engage, or click. It’s not the immobilizer, the key is fine and that light goes off. I’m thinking I may have caused this, at one point I had to move the car and just shifted it to neutral to push it out of the way without the key in the ignition. Could I have damaged the auto transmission range switch or maybe the ignition interlock cable? If it’s not that is there a relay that could be the culprit? I’d appreciate any insight or experience anyone may have had with similar problems. There are no codes that that would seem connected to this problem.
    Thanks
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    03 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray/Black
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    86 Porsche 911 Turbo-look
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

The bad news is it could be a lot of things. Helpful if you can trace wiring. For a start I have included the picture of the relays in the lower left side of the steering wheel and you can start with the Starter Interlock relay. The Good news if you think the timing belt is bad on an RS6 (it definitely was back in the day), many newer performance cars are much worse to work on.
    Starter Relay.pdf
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Can you scan the RS with VCDS?
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Hahnmgh63
    Thanks for the relay diagram, I will check that out. I can only imagine how much more complicated and convoluted high-end cars have become since 2003.

Kilian Tuning:
    I did a VCDS scan and there was nothing that looked like it would keep it from turning over. I’ll readily admit to only having a basic user level of VCDS use.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

You didn't specifically call it out, but the 'foot on brake' light in the dash does go out when you put your foot on the brake to start it right? That switch (tied to the brake pedal) can go bad and will prevent the starter from engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLight View Post
    You didn't specifically call it out, but the 'foot on brake' light in the dash does go out when you put your foot on the brake to start it right? That switch (tied to the brake pedal) can go bad and will prevent the starter from engaging.
    The light does go out but hadn’t considered that switch. I’ll test it out, thanks!
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

I really wish that I had documented it but there is a really easy way to bypass everything to crank the engine

There is a 2 pin connector on the firewall that goes directly to the starter solenoid. Just turn the key to the on position and unplug and jumper the correct pin to a 12v source and the starter will run.

If it does, then you still need to figure out what the problem is upstream from this connection.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I am having the same issue, started the other day not starting once or twice now no starter engagement at all. I haven't started looking into yet but if I find something relevant I will update you here in this thread.
    2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. The problem turned out to be the transmission range position switch. I probably caused the issue by shifting it to neutral without putting my foot on the brake. My mechanic was able to remove and install the new part without removing the header as called for in the service procedures. She’s back on the road and running great. Reminds me why I still love this car.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining