Thread: Headlight Assembly - Correct Part Number?

Headlight Assembly - Correct Part Number?

All,

I've received two estimates for repairs. VERY far apart, so I wanted to check on something.

The front passenger headlight assembly was damaged and needs replacement.

One estimate calls for 4B3941004K (at $1,191.80). The other calls for 4B3941004L (at $631.67).

Does anyone know which is the correct one?

TIA,

CW

I am told, after inquiry with my Indy, who's parts manager contacted an Audi dealer directly and used the VIN, that the "K" part is the correct one.

However, I have still not received an explanation of the difference to the "L" part. If anyone can explain it, please do!

Thanks,

CW

2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thank you. Double confirmed, now.

And, the difference is the "L" code is for the headlight WITHOUT Xenon.

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...B3941004L.html

CW

Yea, non Xenon's were optional on the S6 Avant and A6 V8. Says NLA now. I'm showing 4B3941003H/4H as the Left/Right Euro headlamps. Euor Headlamps are getting hard to get too.
    Roy, WA

Hey CW, got your message...I do have that one, but oh-so-torn about getting rid of it...OEM condition and no broken tabs. As you know, I picked up the redone set from AudiPilot, and now have those installed and really do love them. I did have a couple of issues that I had to repair internally from shipping damage, so hoping to make sure that it holds up before I loose my replacement if I need it.

Is your neighbor (or his insurance) willing to pay that retail price for a new one?

Thanks, guys. At this point, the car is scheduled to go in on Monday. We'll see. The shop says they order parts based on the VIN, but I'm not confident, so I spent some time emailing them. Again, I've heard NLA for the RT Headlight assembly 2x now (once from Indy and, again, here). So, I don't know where they'll source it. But, there has been no push back from the insurance company AFAIK. Of course, the estimate shows the L and not the more expensive K. So, hopefully, this won't get testy.

Muggy, I'll let you know ASAP what the shop is going to do, but it's my understanding that the $1,191 price is for a new part. If they cannot source new, I don't know what they'll be willing to pay. I will inquire, though, when I know more shortly.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Thanks, guys. At this point, the car is scheduled to go in on Monday. We'll see. The shop says they order parts based on the VIN, but I'm not confident, so I spent some time emailing them. Again, I've heard NLA for the RT Headlight assembly 2x now (once from Indy and, again, here). So, I don't know where they'll source it. But, there has been no push back from the insurance company AFAIK. Of course, the estimate shows the L and not the more expensive K. So, hopefully, this won't get testy.

Muggy, I'll let you know ASAP what the shop is going to do, but it's my understanding that the $1,191 price is for a new part. If they cannot source new, I don't know what they'll be willing to pay. I will inquire, though, when I know more shortly.

CW
    All good...sounds like a possible catfight brewing, but if they go VIN based, it's gotta be the xenon I would imagine. Still on the fence, but I do love my new ones, so that's a plus on your end for me possibly letting my OEM go to help out a fellow RS6'r.

Here's mine...a little dirty from the shelf with a quick wipe off...all tabs and adjusters in tact...

Make sure you get RS6. S6 also came with HID (optional?), but the projector is smaller.

Thanks, guys.

Good to know about the smaller projector, Nub. Same part number, though?

Hope not, Mug, but we are all too well-experienced to know how these things go. It started with me getting an estimate from an Audi certified shop. There's some things that they MUST do, based on their contract with Audi, such as do a pre- and post-scan, etc. However, even though they display a USAA placard in their lobby, they're not a USAA-affiliated shop. So, USAA wouldn't approve their estimate, and I had to take it to their affiliate. No big deal, I suppose, but they're not an Audi-certified shop. It's a dealer's shop, and they do work on high(er) end cars (MBs), so, it should be okay, BUT they wrote the estimate differently.

The Audi-certified shop wrote an estimate for the full amount of repairs ~$5K (and got the parts numbers correct). They also cannot use used parts, per their contract. It's possible that they might come in lower, IF the quarter can be saved (honestly, I think a good paintless dent guy ought to be able to do it.

The USAA-shop, however, went the other route. They started low and will supplement up. I suppose that's the insurance way, but what gets estimated at $2K will quickly grow to 3 or 4. Their labor rates are almost half of the Audi-certified shop's though.

Don't know which is the better path, and I have my concerns. Regardless, this isn't a big job. Honestly, any good shop ought to be able to handle it. There's no crunched sub-structures, so this is just cosmetic.

CW

I believe S6 ones should have a different part number. Was more of a "general advice for future readers" if they don't verify part numbers. When buying a used part advertised as RS6 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Good to know about the smaller projector, Nub. Same part number, though?

Hope not, Mug, but we are all too well-experienced to know how these things go. It started with me getting an estimate from an Audi certified shop. There's some things that they MUST do, based on their contract with Audi, such as do a pre- and post-scan, etc. However, even though they display a USAA placard in their lobby, they're not a USAA-affiliated shop. So, USAA wouldn't approve their estimate, and I had to take it to their affiliate. No big deal, I suppose, but they're not an Audi-certified shop. It's a dealer's shop, and they do work on high(er) end cars (MBs), so, it should be okay, BUT they wrote the estimate differently.

The Audi-certified shop wrote an estimate for the full amount of repairs ~$5K (and got the parts numbers correct). They also cannot use used parts, per their contract. It's possible that they might come in lower, IF the quarter can be saved (honestly, I think a good paintless dent guy ought to be able to do it.

The USAA-shop, however, went the other route. They started low and will supplement up. I suppose that's the insurance way, but what gets estimated at $2K will quickly grow to 3 or 4. Their labor rates are almost half of the Audi-certified shop's though.

Don't know which is the better path, and I have my concerns. Regardless, this isn't a big job. Honestly, any good shop ought to be able to handle it. There's no crunched sub-structures, so this is just cosmetic.

CW
    I hate insurance...I'm just hoping for your sake that they can find the correct headlight NOS if needed. Not sure of the condition of your other side, but most likely they won't match due to aging, which would also annoy me.

Any chance of just getting a payout check from the insurance? Some will just cut you a check to get rid of you, especially on an older vehicle. I had a 1996 E250 ford van for work and one of my employees side swiped a light pole on a tight corner...jacked up the side doors and rear quarter. Thing was, the van was 18 years old at the time, but only had about 35k miles on it, so still pretty much perfect mechanically, but they wanted to total it for a $5k "estimated" repair, but would have cost me $30k to replace with a new van. I talked them into letting me take it to an indy shop that put on used doors and smoothed out the quarter, slapped some paint on the whole side, and called it a day for about $2k, which the insurance ok'd. Finally was able to give the van to one of my employees earlier this year with about 65k on the clock and many years left in it.

I guess my point is if you can get a check for $3-4k, collect your own parts, and have a decent indy shop do minimal body work, it may be your best option if it's just parts & paint.

Another quick story, a friend of my sons has a B7 S4 with the factory DTM body kit...someone backed into the front of it...took over 4 months for the body shop to find a front bumper skin and get it repaired with OEM new parts...this was a few years ago and pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to find a new part now at all.

Not that I want my car gone, but if it goes, hoping that Hagerty will make good and pay out on my $20k agreed value policy and just be done with it...wishing you good thoughts on yours!

If you can get a payout from the insurance you may be able to invest in a set of new or used Euro headlamps. Maybe Nubcake knows the availability over there. I don't think Audi in Europe sells them but Hella may still?
    https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-vol...004F-headlamp/
    Roy, WA

Well, challenges, as usual.

Dents in front fender could not be removed. Aluminum panel cracked. Can't find a new one, so they have a "bonding kit" that they use for rooflines that they are going to use. I'm looking for a new or clean parted front rt quarter. If anyone knows of one. Just posted in the Wanted section, as there's a Daytona Grey going to parts.

Bumper cover was to be replaced, can't find a new one. Will re-finish entire cover, but maybe a nicer parted out one would be okay? If anyone knows of one, please advise. There was one for sale in the Wanted section (Mugello Blue), so I may go to work on that.

Also, right front door trim is needed. If anyone knows of one, please advise.

Last, but not least, the rt headlamp assembly is an issue. Definitely NLA. They do not seem to be able to locate one. So, they're saying they'll work with a seller, if I can find one. So, Muggy, let's talk, if you're okay with that. It might be good to have the pair so they match.

But, I also need to look into the Euro lights per Roy's last post.

Ahh, the joys of owning an older car!

Thanks,

CW