Thread: Let the Fun Begin !!!

Let the Fun Begin !!!

Update:
    Decided to perform the engine/tranny pull by myself (trans needs a rebuild). A big Thanks to GreggPDX for helping out yesterday! So we pulled the entire clip off. I will work on exhaust, drive shaft, axles wiring etc. Hoping to be able to remove the engine later this weekend. So I am putting together the "list" of other items to be addressed:

Rebuild the Turbos - a decent amount of oil was present in the lower hose on both intercoolers- Scroll Turbos no longer around, so looking for place to rebuild. Been in talks with Midwest Turbo Center in Mo. Any recommendations elsewhere ?
    Re main seal (077 103 171 N) - I assume replace the entire plate with the seal
    Bufkin upgrade pipe - Bufkin is no longer available, I see options on Ebay but concerned with fitment - what is the best option now?
    EGT sensors (078 998 124 B)
    02 Sensors (1K0 998 262 AB)
    T-Belt Service
    Engine mounts (OEM or aftermarket?)
    Valve cover gaskets
    Cam chain guides (maybe if evidence of excessive wear)
    Intake manifold was removed 2 years ago for leaky gaskets, so all new components on the underside was performed

I am sure there maybe some other items. I do appreciate any feedback.

Scott

Keep in mind that most of the Oil you see in the lower Intercooler hoses is from the Crankcase Ventilation system. I would be that many a person had their Turbos rebuilt to only find out there is just as much oil in the lower Intercooler hoses. Audi spec'd a cleaning of the hoses every 25k I think. A set of Catch cans will halve the amount of oil, Turbo cars tend to push more oil vapor through the system than normally aspirated cars.
    This one had great feedback for Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Au...75.c1#viTabs_0
    From a Audi/VW parts place but costs more: https://www.gruvenparts.com/4-2l-aud...l-cooler-tube/
    Not sure if he still makes them but here's Bufkin's website: http://www.bufkinengineering.com/

One of the best prices for the front O2's: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/367...nd-Rear-16073/
    or try AutohausAz as they usually have good prices on Bosch stuff. OEM fronts is a Bosch 16073
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

A few comments from my current experience...

Go with the Gruvenparts water pipe, I tried the eBay one and it did not fit properly, bit the bullet and shelled out for the Gruven version, fits perfectly.

Rear main, I went with the OEM plate with seal already in there...it's a big seal and in my opinion, could be tough to align if you try to do the seal only. It's been done by others to do the seal only (only available aftermarket), but with the amount of effort to get to it, I wasn't willing to take the chance for a couple hundred $$.

Turbo rebuild...I got my Melett CHRA's from https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/turbo-parts.html
    Came in about a week and very reasonably priced. Melett seems to be the go-to for rebuilds and CHRA replacements...easy drop-in replacement on these if you are capable enough to do the rest of your project.

Cam tensioner shoes...again, I had to try a few versions...I originally went with the RKX ones since they are a small US based company, but I wasn't happy with them. Ended up going with an eBay version that fit great. Problem on fit that I had was the underside of the shoe where it snaps onto the hydraulic pushrod was somewhat rounded on the RKX, where it should really be squared. The RKX would not seat all the way...they are now seated in the trash can.

Motor mounts, I'm going with the 034 billet version. I originally picked up the 034 street density ones, but decided to go heavier duty. Let me know if you are interested in the street density version and I can make you a deal on mine that I'll be selling. Mainly because I'm powered up and will be throwing manual shifting in there...I think you mentioned on our phone call that you are pretty much stock, so more of an OEM style mount should be fine. You will need the resistors for the sensor plugs if you go 034 so you don't get a code, but cheap on their site and simple to plug in.

Plan on lots of o-rings, gaskets, and nuts/bolts. The turbo studs are stupidly expensive...I think they are about $28 each plus a $7 nut...you'll need 14 of these if you have any issues with them, and really suggested to replace if you are taking apart after so many years. Also, if you pull the cam tensioner shoes, you'll need 52 of the cam cap bolts...cheaper at about $1.10 if you shop around, but it all adds up.

Your efforts will be worth it! Did you ever decide on who you'll have take care of the trans? I have 2 cores for both trans and torque converters if you need them. I know that when we talked, you had spoken with Pat at Level 10...I was impressed with his input, but haven't had any work done, so I'm only going off of his knowledge and enthusiasm from our conversation. On that note, I do have the proper fluid that he suggests if you need it...I bought mine looking ahead, and then decided to go 6 speed.

I have a date with mine this afternoon and all day tomorrow...looking forward to moving forward on my project, and following yours as well! You have my number if you want to call and chat...

Update:

Engine and trans are out. Pulling off the turbos. So looking at place to send them to for refurbrishment. Spoke with MidWest Turbo Ctr. in Mo and just had a talk with Tim of Tin's Turbos in Va. He is very familiar with these add will offer 3 levels of service ($900 - $1400/pr). He just completed a set, sent me pics they come back looking like new and are fully adjusted (wastegate, etc.) to re-install and run. Anyone dealt with them? Turbo Rebuild in UK is no longer doing anything with them. Silly Rabbit also not do anything with them either. Seems places that were once doing rebuilds are no longer.

Thanks

You would think that K04's are still common enough that plenty of places would do rebuilds. At least the most of the parts are common on them. I know when scroll did mine they were able to use some upgraded parts off the newer K04's. Are you sure Scroll is no longer doing business in New Jersey? Their website is still up.
    https://www.scrollproducts.com/en/
    Roy, WA

I used Turbo Rebuild's uprated CHRAs a couple years ago. Their website has them still listed: https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/websh...rger-Core.html . Did you speak to them on the phone or email? Very helpful.

I would replace the cam chain tensioner pads regardless if they look fine. They're plastic and the car is 18 years old... nice and brittle by now. You'll have a much easier time doing it with the engine out.

Quote Originally Posted by 95ninety View Post
    I would replace the cam chain tensioner pads regardless if they look fine. They're plastic and the car is 18 years old... nice and brittle by now. You'll have a much easier time doing it with the engine out.
    100%, these have failed in almost all cars by now. As mentioned above, just be picky in where/who you buy from, at $20 a set maybe buy a few to find the plastic that feels and fits best. I dug around forever and found ones that seemed to have the most original details from the OEM castings, not sure if I was lucky or not but got good ones, not sure from where.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

So on the UK o. Turbo Rebuild Limited, their email back to me stated they no longer showing any options for the RS6 turbos.

Scroll is no longer in business, the Co that acquired them has only one side available as "new unit"

I looked into Tim's when I did mine, but not any further than the web site and watching his videos. At that point, I decided that I could rebuild my own with the now unavailable Turbo Rebuild UK Mellet CHRA's. Was actually a pretty easy process as long as you take your time and are careful. Tim's is about an hour from my house, so if I have any future issues that come up on the turbos, I'll plan on taking to him if he's still doing them at that time.

It is all about finding the right person that knows them, and if he is comfortable with the RS6 units, sounds like a solid lead. When I looked for someone to rebuild my ancient T04 on my Callaway Rabbit, I found a company that had was familiar with that particular unit and had no problem fabricating bearings, etc. as needed and it came back looking and functioning like brand new. That was Blaylock Turbo somewhere in the midwest and was about the price for a single what Tim quoted per unit at about $600.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzanrs6 View Post
    So on the UK o. Turbo Rebuild Limited, their email back to me stated they no longer showing any options for the RS6 turbos.

Scroll is no longer in business, the Co that acquired them has only one side available as "new unit"
    There have got to be some general turbo rebuild companies in the US. The RS6 ko4 isn't that unique, very similar to ko3 which there are tons of for almost all lower displacement Audi's. And it's still just a turbo...

Here's a quick google hit, Borg Warner is all you really need. https://www.timsturbos.com/turbocharger-rebuilding/
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

A lot of K04's used in higher performance Audi TT's too along with some A4's.
    Roy, WA

Has anyone had luck on sourcing new EGT sensors (077 919 529K Brown- Left) (077 919 529E Black - Right). There is a kit 078 998 124B (for both) but it appears not to be for the RS6. Thought I would replace them (and O2's) with engine out of car now.

They first started a little over 10yrs ago stopping the individual sale of the sensors and making them only available as a set and now it seems they are showing No Longer Available. I replaced mine almost 10yrs ago and only about 10k miles ago and after doing my 6spd conversion lately one of the new ones had already failed but I was able to get it going again by soldering a bad connecton on the circuit board (known issue and it seems even with a newer sensor).
    Who knows how long the wait is but it looks like you can at least order the right side from Audi Tradition in Germany. https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/tra...erature&page=5
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; August 14th, 2021 at 05:02.
    Roy, WA

Update:
    So I ordered p/n 078 998 124 (Kit) for both EGT sensors. The kit arrived. The brown sensor has p/n 078 919 529 Q, the original one on car 077 919 529 E. The black sensor 078 919 529 P, the original one on car 077 919 529 D. The first observation is that the length of the lead wire to the sensor is considerably shorter. So as I go back through my archives, the kit part number is 077 998 124, NOT 078 998 124. I ordered them from eEuroparts. The turbos came back from Tim's Turbos - Va. They look great, all upgraded. The transmission is under rebuild utilizing Level 10 upgraded kit (clutches and steels). Hoping to do the time chain guide pieces and then the T-belt entire kit this weekend.