Thread: Where's the LOVE

Where's the LOVE

Well after paying retail for the full blown engine out Muggy refresh 1300 miles later CEL glowing in my face. Secondary air injection pump low flow code. No pump on start up and discovered blown fuse. Thought I was going to get away with a 4.00 repair just once in my life. No such luck. Replaced the fuse and did a cold start. Pump came on but rather then a whirring sound it sounded more like a little hammer banging inside. Ran for 30-40 seconds and fried the fuse again. So relay working, fuse working but pump not so much. My question to the DIY crowd is this a fairly easy job. It looks like it should be. The damn thing is just sitting there in the open. But I know the beast can be cunning and require major work to get that one last screw or wire harness off. You know what I mean. Looks like a new pump is readily available for a change. Anyway any insights would be appreciated. Hopefully its just a tired air pump and not some blockage that burned it up. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a pump for you if you need one.....happy to send it out to you, just let me know. Mine worked fine, I just wanted to get rid of it since the motor was out and easy to access the block off plate area...that and it is totally non-functional for me without any cats to heat up!

Larger issue in question...is your wiring shot inside of the loom? Mine and a spare harness that I got both had the sheathing disintegrated inside of the loom on the hot and ground wires for the pump...literally crumbled in my hands. I'm going to run without the pump and added the block off plates...nubcake "adjustment" to the tune to kill the CEL.

Hopefully yours is just a tired pump...3 bolts I think to take off of the inner fender, a simple hose connection, and one plug should do it if I remember correctly...hopefully one of the easy fixes if your wires are ok, just be careful as they are brittle!

Last edited by Muggy; May 1st, 2021 at 14:00.

Wow those wires are definitely looking a bit rough. Almost looks like some rodents made a snack of your wires. Fortunately all the wires in my engine bay seem like they are in pretty good shape. I did go a little deeper and took the top off the pump. The filter underneath was powder as well of a bunch of sand which I'm sure was courtesy of the vented fender liners. So I'm guessing the pump has been injecting decayed foam and sand for some time. Its been 18 years of severe duty in the RS 6 oven. Just going to take it in for pump replacement. Hopefully no blockages anywhere to help burn it up. Since I replaced literally every hose shouldn't be any leaks anywhere.

Still have my back up Tranny in the corner of your garage Muggy? How long till your's is back on the road?

The C5 RS6 engine harness for the SAI pump is notorious for decaying wiring. I've seen it on all 5 harnesses I've come across as well as others I've spoken to about it.

You can either run new wires all the way back to the pins or delete it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post

Still have my back up Tranny in the corner of your garage Muggy? How long till your's is back on the road?
    I do...plus a spare from Jolio if you want that one too! Would love to see them gone soon....

As far as a eta on mine...we'll see...with minimal spare time, it may be a long haul. I do at least have my trans and swap parts in hand now as of last week and all new linkage parts coming from JHM in the mail now. My biggest issue will be the wiring...not my favorite thing to do, but I need to carve out time in the evenings to turn some wrenches...

Alright you two are harshing my buzz. I'm going to think positive that it turns out to be a plug and play. Muggy how many miles are on the transmission that came out of your car?

Honestly, not sure on mileage...my car has about 104k on it, but old receipts show some sort of trans upgrade around 40k. Not sure if it was just a new torque converter, or whole trans change from the dealer. The extra that I have from Jolio has about 100k as far as I know, he may chime in with thoughts...no known issues with either, and I have both torque converters which are hard to come across now too. I personally think that either would be a good rebuild candidate, especially since you mentioned before on keeping stock power levels.

On your SAI pump, it sounds like it just needs to be replaced with no other issues, but if you touch those wires, beware...If needed, I can detail the wire routing for you if you need to bypass the harness and re-wire to the relay. Fortunately, it looks like only the hot and ground wires to the SAI pump are an issue...so it's not like you'd have a bundle of crumbling wires that will all short out with each other if you don't remove the failing ones from the loom, just need to bypass.

VICTORY IS MINE. SAI pump came right out wires in good shape. A paltry 1.5 hours of shop time and I was out of there. And New pads and rotors all the way around. She's almost a new car. She's been a rolling restoration this year and looking good.

Glad to hear that it was pretty much a non-issue...

Keeps the hope alive that maybe not every issue empties your wallet entirely!