Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Advice...Car is in pieces. Waiting 5 years for mechanic to put it back. No more..

Hybrid View

RS6 Advice...Car is in pieces. Waiting 5 years for mechanic to put it back. No more..

My RS6 project ground to a halt about 5 years ago. The mechanic for various legit reasons....school, new job, health has had good intentions to put it back together but I give up on him.

I am not interested in discussing what happened or who's fault or why or anything along those lines. It is what it is and now it is time for me to reassume control of my car.

My car is in south Texas. The engine and transmission is out of the car. I was thinking it was going to at least have the engine put back in the chassis and I was planning on taking it to D Hall to finish the install. But there has been no progress so I am going to have to go down there and get it in whatever condition. I live in Fayetteville Arkansas. The last thing I wanted to do was take this car to some other shop and have to assembled but that seems to be what needs to be done. I can't continue to wait.

I know no shop will want me to drop off a bucket of bolts and all the parts. But I don't seem to have any other option at this point.

I am looking for some advice from the old school guys around here.

https://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/3...2-0?highlight=
    Last edited by Del Stator; March 22nd, 2021 at 00:21.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

PM me your e-mail and I will send you some suggestions.

Im in Dallas and have some options to offer.

Steve
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Ugh...sorry to hear about your saga...I've been there...not with the RS6, but with a Mk4 GTI that I had (2.0 N/A, just before the 1.8t came out). It was at the shop for almost 2 years. There was some amazing fabrication done by some of the mechanics, and I did get to drive the car a couple of times in the middle of things. Car was pushing 375-400 whp out of a 2.0 with 16v conversion on a T4 ceramic bearing turbo (custom everything including intake, fuel tank, standalone ECU, pistons, crank, blah blah blah). In the end, I pretty much forced the shop to buy it from me (at a bit of loss for my sanity and wallet). At that point, I didn't even want to look at the car with the stress it caused me and left it at the shop. Turns out when I went to some no-name bank with the owner of the shop, he had to sign a loan 15% interest, but not my problem at that point. Turns out that the owner ended up dead by O.D'ing on snow a few years later. There WAS another VW shop nearby...that one mysteriously burnt to the ground one night full of cars...that shop was operating with a similar M.O., but I guess opted for the insurance payout...

After that, I didn't loose the car bug, but there is a reason why all of the pics from my former Callaway Rabbit build and current RS6 refresh are in my garage. I'm having a slight headache waiting for my transmission for the swap right now, but I think the end is near on that, fingers crossed!!!

I read through your first thread which was before my time on this forum and it looks like an amazing build that, like my GTI, wouldn't be feasible as a home project...all I can do is commiserate with your nightmare and wish you best of luck. Sounds like SAFE4NOW may have some good leads for you.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and after a 5 year wait, I can't believe you waited that long.I hope that you can get that project back on track and no remorse when you get to drive your beast again in the near future. Wish I could be of help, but can only wish you good luck my friend.

Seek out Randy in Arkansas. His shop has kept his RS6 going for over 200k miles.

MaxRS6

I bet his labor rates are good as well.

Thanks for all the advice. I remember MaxRS6. I will reach out to MaxRS6 as well as a couple of the others suggested in PMs. An Arkansas shop rate is substantially less than what I paid Berkeley CA.

To be clear, the car was complete and running. I just decided that I wanted a 6 speed and one thing lead to another I wanted to build a beast. So really the whole thing is there. It just needs the engine and the new transmission back in and tuning.

Time and different focus had me paying attention elsewhere. But now it is time it get this finished. I will update when something moves forward.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

MaxRS6's PM box is full and can't accept anymore messages until he clears some out. Hopefully someone here has direct communication and will let him know or he sees this.

look back thru his posts. Find the name of his shop and call the shop.

he is in Little Rock area.

randy@maxcpa.net

ohara automotive

https://www.google.com/search?q=ohar...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    MaxRS6's PM box is full and can't accept anymore messages until he clears some out. Hopefully someone here has direct communication and will let him know or he sees this.
    Last edited by DHall1; March 24th, 2021 at 16:24.

Yep, that was my next step. Thanks!

I have spoken to Ohara Automotive. We will be moving forward. They are actually excited about it. I lived for 38 years in Little Rock. So this is good. Thank you again DHall1.

Get this car back on the road. Enjoy it

i have some really cool additions to my stable and still enjoy taking my RS6 out for a blast around town. It’s a special car. say hi to mad max for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F66DEED-F63C-4CC8-A36C-911E635B1567.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	19399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98B9D15B-7018-4342-82F7-C980A39C4E95.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	19398  

Hey Del Stator!
    Sorry for not replying sooner- I was at a track event this weekend with the 996 and catching up on work this week. I understand you have spoken with Paul. To be open and transparent- I am Paul's business partner. After he worked his magic on my RS6 about 6 years ago- we quickly became friends and business partners. He is an excellent mechanic, and we have a great group of guys. We have a loyal and growing customer base built upon their skills and our honest reputation. We'll be happy to help you get your RS6 back on the road!

Thanks Dhall for the kind words! I look forward to our paths crossing again!
    210K miles rolled

This has already turned out better than I expected. Paul sounds like a great guy. I can certainly tell he is professional and a real enthusiast! I hope MaxRS6 that we get to meet at some point.

^Sure thing- I'll be sure to meet up with you at the shop if you make it in! You have my number and feel free to call it anytime.
    210K miles rolled

Looks like this is all going to happen in the last couple of weeks in April. My current mechanic is going to get it all organized and together. Paul doesn't want the engine in so that will make easier to make this happen. I like my current guy a lot. We have never had a bad word between us. But he now has a full time job as an engineer for the DOD and is still recovering from two carpal tunnel surgeries.

This will be a relief for him and finally getting this off my plate and in my driveway.

^I look forward to seeing your RS6 and meeting you!
    210K miles rolled

See...I love this forum! And really looking forward to following the progress on the re-birth!

I hope you get the RS6 to someone who can commit to putting it back together. My rs6 has been in storage and I very much miss it, but I needed to get other car projects done first. Hopefully I can drive it in a few weeks.
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

So I finally got my car sorted out...kinda. What that means is that I have parted out my car that was turned into a salvage car by the supposed shop storing it in a f&^king shipping container less than a mile from the beach in Corpus Christie TX for 7 years.

When I arrived a few weeks back with trailer to get it all, it literally looked like a salvage car that had been left out in the sun. I dropped off a fantastic car, running awesome car and what I saw almost made me cry. But it is basically all over it now.

I don't have the time or interest in taking him to court. He doesn't live there anymore. I live in Arkansas and he lives in New Mexico.
    We made a deal on the car. I got screwed but I have to take some responsibility for not pushing harder and being more aggressive towards the situation. I was living in way northern California. Now back in Fayetteville AR.
    Anyway, I pulled some parts. Sold some parts and got a lump sum from him. I lost big time but life moves on.

I want to thank Randy Maxwell and Paul of O’Hara Automotive of North Little Rock offering to help me out. In the end there is nothing to do. I need to sell my last parts left so that I can finish my 4rotor FC 1989 Gtus RX7. I only need a few more parts and it should go back together.

I will make a for sale list soon. I have some travel to get done and then I can take pictures. The stuff I have for sale is basically from another world to me now. I know things have changed and I would bet money doesn't flow into these cars as it use to.

I am also not clear on what was done way back then. I am shit for receipts and such. But here is a vague list of what's left. I will also make a really nice deal on all of it. I am not listing prices yet but if you have an interest please pm me.

All these parts are new or rebuilt and uninstalled.

Rebuilt and Upgraded 01E Quattro TDI 6 Speed Transmission with with Wavetrac diff and high capacity diff sump (RS4). It has a custom gear set that has an extra long first gear. I am not able at this time to be sure what all the ratios are. It was a custom gear set specifically for the RS6. I also have a Wavetrac for the rear diff as well. I guess these need to go together.

I have all the parts for a RS6 manual swap. That includes adapter plate, new heavy duty starter, shifter, clutch pedal, I think Sachs clutch. It is a single disc. I will get this figured out in a couple of weeks when I am back in town. The flywheel got used by the builder and I am now waiting on him to supply another one that is back ordered. This was around 7k+ for all of it.

Custom heads built by Lee Schwartz. Lee is a high end engine builder from Arden North Carolina. I think he is retired now. He has won many Nascar type championships for engine building. He was very precise about how it all went together and fully researched every aspect of the combination of the different components. I think it was S8 or S6 heads with Ferrea +1mm oversized valves, upgraded valve springs and S8 cams. I think that is correct. It was what I was told by this forum were the parts to make this a good combination. Lee has a friend at Audi USA and he made sure all of the parts worked within spec to avoid issues. He said that the heads were made pretty well and there wasn't actually that much to do porting but he did and he clean it all up and flowed the heads on his bench. If you want receipts and exact cost then maybe this isn't for you. I forgot all that long ago and as I said, I think Lee has retired. I paid for all the parts plus paid Lee 2k for the work. He wasn't happy about the 2k I paid him but the dude took well over a year to do what was supposed to take about 3 months. Actually because of this set of heads my project died.

I have one of the custom carbon fibre front air dams that everyone had. I think it was the StevenCL or something like that that had them built...too long to remember and I often confuse RS6 world with RX7 world. It isn't perfect but it is in very good condition.

I have some miscellaneous parts like new uninstalled Sterns motor mounts, RS6 mats, two Symphony radios and stock subwoofer. I will get pictures up soon enough.

I understand the world has moved on from RS6 but if you are interested I will be glad to listen to reasonable offers. This is not a fire sale but I could use the funds. I have no need for this stuff ever.

By the way Randy Maxwell, sorry I didn't get back to you immediately after my trip. I was just to broken from the experience and just didn't feel like talking about it. I am ready to move this stuff on and get the RX7 finished.

Well this wasn't how I thought this would all end but I am glad it is almost over. Now I just need to recoup a bit of the huge loss.

By the way, I also have a set of MTM hood vents in new condition.
    Last edited by Del Stator; February 26th, 2022 at 02:28.