Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hopping on the O1E bandwagon

May not be the only reason but it still smacks of adjustment issues. There are a variety of linkage sets for the 01E, are you confident that your whole setup from shifter to gearbox is homogeneous. I mentioned in another post that my setup with short shifter doesn't exhibit any of the issues mentioned here. I have a spare 01E with everything JHM offers installed in and out and the PO (who totalled his car) was able to set the quickest 0-100 times recorded for a tte550 equipped car, so shift quality cannot have been an issue either.

Over time people have mentioned issues with the plastic vs metal slave cylinders, deteriorating hydraulic hose, gearbox spacer issues and difficulty in adapting some clutch systems plus of course flywheel issues of all sorts.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

I was disappointed at mine...fiddled several times, now changed to the 10% reduction instead of the 35% on the JHM shifter...so much better now!

A couple of things I found. First was I didn't clearance/cut off enough of the bottom of the shift linkage when putting the solid bearing in. After grinding that away I was able to get it into reverse a lot easier but was still having trouble with 1st and 2nd. I've probably adjusted it 3 dozen times and can feel when it should be good because the other gears feel awesome. I switched to the 10% since I read a few places that the 35% reduction doesn't always work right. Just by chance, at the same time the clutch decided to stop disengaging so I couldn't get any gears easily. I've been suspecting that the line may not have been bleed all the way and this pretty much confirms it. The odd thing, I think, is that the when I went to bleed it the fluid came out pretty dark grey. I'm working on flushing it out and doing a better job getting it bled, but I'm worried that there could be something wrong with the master clutch cylinder. I don't see any fluid leaking from it inside the car but I also don't know if the donor car had any problems before I took the pedals out.

No doubt we all have variations in our setups but I haven't ever heard of the need to grind any section of the shift linkage. I'm guessing that you are absolutely sure that your whole linkage setup is from the one variant. One of the lessons I learnt with Audi is many jobs are difficult, so not refurbishing stuff before installation has the potential to be a major PIA.

I have a number of Audi with manual gearboxes and while the standard setup can be a bit long throw and soft with the clutch, I can say they all work perfectly. Add a short shifter and a properly designed clutch and they still work perfectly. The point of the comment is that if the correct parts are used, you guys really shouldn't be having the issues with the 01E shift that you are having. It's really a reasonable setup and although there are better boxes and shifts out there, it can be made quite respectable with a short shifter and +15 clutch. All the JHM upgrade parts are supposed to be good and I have the full internal and external catalogue in my spare box but I have yet to install it so can't say for sure. The car I'm driving today has the straight from factory box with short shifter and +15 clutch and 290,000 Km up and it's just fine. All gears are available without any baulking or any of the issues that are being raised on here.

Fingers crossed that you can put your finger on the cause and get to enjoy the car.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8