Thread: Please Share Your Experience and Knowledge About MTM USA

Please Share Your Experience and Knowledge About MTM USA

After reading so many great reviews about their TCU chip for the C5 RS6, I decided to purchase one from them. When I bought it for $674 on their website, I immediately received an email from someone at MTM named Jose asking me to reach out if I had any questions or needed help with anything at all. I thought that was a nice touch that most online auto vendors don't extend to their customers.

Filled with optimism, I waited a few days for a tracking number or for my order to arrive. Nothing... I was a little confused, so I pulled up the email from Jose and typed up a reply asking him for a tracking number. Another few days go by. Still nothing... I called their number twice. Once no answer. The second time, I could swear it almost sounded like someone had answered the phone and immediately hung up on me. At that point, I started to lose faith in this company. Luckily, I had bought the chip from them on PayPal. So about a week ago I opened a request to communicate with the vendor via PayPal, politely stating my situation and requesting a tracking number. It's been almost three weeks since I bought the TCU chip from them and I still haven't received any communication back from them. At this point, I'm not hopeful that I'll want to continue the transaction with them even if they communicated. I don't think there's any good reason to treat a customer this way.

Have you had any interaction with these people at MTM? What what was your experience like?

I am absolutely confused. They're supposed to be a very reputable Audi tuner, everyone raves about their TCU chip, and their facebook reviews are all 5-stars..

When I was looking at TCU upgrades about 2 years ago, I was under the impression that MTM no longer serviced the TCU here (US), but you could send your unit in to them and they'd ship it to Europe for for you to install a chip there and send back??? I've never heard of anyone shipping a chip out to a customer, but only an option to send your TCU in for either a piggy back or replacement chip that they would solder in. Memory could be wrong, but it seemed like the only company still offering the option here in the US is 034 Motorsport. Others may chime in here with different thoughts, but just going on my memory right off...

If it were me, I'd try to get $$$ back at this point and re-group...seems like the listing could have been old on the site that should have been removed as a purchase option.

Not trying to turn this into a classified in any way, but I'm converting mine to 6 speed right now and will have a tuned TCU available in a few months if you don't get this settled. I don't know the source on mine as it was done by a PO, but I swapped a known stock one in there and it was a noticeable difference....car felt like a slug compared to the tuned version, especially in sport mode.

Try sending a message to MTM in Germany. Along with Muggy I also thought MTM USA closed their doors years ago. I just looked at the fancy new MTM USA website, I wonder if they are really affilitated with MTM Germany? A message there will at least get you the answer if they are really associated.
    On another note, I have recently had but luck with Paypal. I got a $99 charge to my Paypal account from some Chinese company and Paypal was duped as they even uploaded a Fedex tracking number. I did receive a kitchen sponge from Fedex. I disputed with Paypal, they had me immediately change my password, then I get an E-mail that says "My purchase" was consistent with my Paypal payment history and closed the case? Consistent with my payment history, I have never done business with a Chinese company? I no longer use Paypal, this just happened 3 wks ago.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ok so it used to be Hoppen Motorsport in Florida would solder the MTM TCU chip for you OR you could opt to have them send it to you.
    Even though I had the MTM TCU chip in hand, I wasn't brave enough to solder it myself so I sold it to someone on here.

Then Hoppen Motorsports had some sort of shake up and no longer was responding to any calls or emails.
    A Canadian company was the go-to MTM TCU installer, but no longer offered to mail out the individual MTM TCU chip.

And then I sold 905355...

Edit:
    The MTM TCU chip for the C5 RS6 was $125.
    Last edited by ben916; February 18th, 2021 at 17:56. Reason: adding information
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hoppen went away when Joe Hoppen died. Funny thing in is they still have a Facebook page but the last post there was just over 10yrs ago. Time to get rid of the Auto and become the Manual crowd.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I managed to get a hold of MTM on facebook messenger. I mentioned to them that I had called and emailed several times, and even tried to reach them via PayPal over the course of two weeks, and they didn't comment on that at all. They just said I had to send them the TCU to get the chip installed. After that, I decided I wasn't going to send them the TCU. I asked for a refund. They agreed to it. A few days go by and I still don't see it. I reached out to them again on messenger to ask about the refund. Still yet to hear from them... I just turned the case over to PayPal. I have faith in them. They've always done right by me.

Looking for new possibilities, I decided to go for the 034 TCU tune. Sadly, I tried hard to reach them in every way that I could to ask them a couple of questions about their TCU tune, and found that they also aren't responsive. The RS6, my dream daily driver, is my first Audi, after twenty plus years of Japanese and Swedish cars. And so far, the aftermarket support I've been trying to get has been disappointing at best. That's two reputable vendors.. I can't believe how hard it is to get someone to talk to you. Not sure what other vendors/options I have... I'd love to do a manual swap but I need the auto because this car is my daily.

In any case, thanks all for your responses!

Sorry to hear about your experiences so far...I'd definitely stay on MTM until you get your $$$ back. As far as 034, I've only ever ordered parts online from them for various Audi's that I've owned, but have always received prompt shipping and quality parts. That said, I've never had to reach out to them directly with questions or any sort of service needs. At this point, with it's age and very limited production, the RS6 is becoming one of those fabled unicorns that many of the younger generation have never even laid eyes on in person before, much less know even a few of the many quirks of this unique beast. Definitely stay active on this board and others to ask questions and stay informed through research...I learn new things every day, even by just re-examining older threads and write-ups as it helps to know who knows what they are really talking about and who is selling BS when it comes to advice, service, and/or parts.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I'll be removing my tuned TCU soon...maybe sooner than later. Let me know if you'd like to work something out to possibly "try before you buy" with mine. I'm probably a bit naive sometimes, but I still have faith in people by sharing unique tools and selling/buying parts...I've always had them returned or paid for as agreed. So far, everyone that I've met either in person or mainly virtually on this board have all been in in for the love of the RS6...it's getting to be a very small community, so we all need to stick together!

If all else fails try "Nubcake" , he sometimes can get hold of one spare TCU w/without chip and arrange.
    Now he did not chime in, so far, but he will definetely do a grea job one or the other.
    Cheers,
    Ivan

Nubcake is my hero for RS6 tuning...will be tapping his skills again shortly for the 6 speed conversion updates!

Will definitely reach out to Nubcake for all the manual swap info and tricks if the car ends up being swapped to manual later in its life.

Muggy, PM sent.

Currently on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-A...kAAOSw5DpgMMj7

Seems VERY expensive to me, and, if I read the dyno chart correctly, not much of an increase in power. But, if anyone's interested.

CW

Don't waste your money on that.

Nub,

Still want to do the ECU tune. Maybe this Summer? I still haven't checked to see if the ECU case is welded or not, though.

Also, prevailing wisdom remains that TCU is not worthwhile?

Thanks,

CW

TCU does have its benefits, but with all the logistics it's possibly not worth pursuing.
    Might be feasible, if you have someone local to desolder the old chip & put a new one in.

With a Nubcake tune (awesome!), I did feel a noticeable difference in shifting characteristics...more aggressive for sure in Sport in my opinion with back to back tests from a second stock TCU on hand to a tuned one. The combo is great, until the trans goes from the extra power...

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    ...until the trans goes from the extra power...
    And, therein lies the problem. I've had the TC done, and the transmission is good, but stressing it with more power and torque is always a concern. The drivetrain had just as many weaknesses as the DRC!

CW