Thread: Valve Body or Clutch problem?

Question Valve Body or Clutch problem?

The transmission was rebuilt (according to the carfax) around 123k miles. I don't have any documentation, but the stall torque is around 2200 so I think there was some upgrading done? Anyways, the car now has 153k on it and there was some weeping from the transmission pan gasket so I replaced it along with the filter. It was driving fine for the first 500 miles or so after I did that, but I don't get on the highway much and my commute is just 5 miles across town. I took a longer drive and discovered that once the fluid got warm it would rev freely/slip and then slam into gear. On the way back it seems like the problem would pop up when I was pointed uphill so I thought it was a fill issue.

I took it to a local euro shop to have them do a drain and fill so that I could rule that problem out, but it didn't help. The thing that doesn't seem to line up with other things I've read is that I'm not getting any "slipping" while it's in gear, it's more like I'm getting a false neutral between gears. Going into 3rd gear from 4th gear (both under and not under load) is when the problem is really showing itself. If I shift up from 2nd to 3rd the car pulls fine and will continue pulling as it goes into 4th and 5th.

I'm not getting any codes, except for a 17115 that popped up as I was troubleshooting and the transmission went into 5th gear. After the transmission cooled it was fine and hasn't come up since.

So does this sound like something that removing and cleaning the valve body will fix, or am I in bigger trouble?

So I've been logging my commute and now the 4-3 downshift seems to be OK, but when I accelerate out of a turn onto a side street the transmission takes a second to engage 2nd from 3rd then slams into gear. This happens only once the fluid has had a chance to warm up a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-01-12log.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	19364  

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyDeeds View Post
    once the fluid got warm it would rev freely/slip and then slam into gear

The thing that doesn't seem to line up with other things I've read is that I'm not getting any "slipping" while it's in gear, it's more like I'm getting a false neutral between gears. Going into 3rd gear from 4th gear (both under and not under load) is when the problem is really showing itself. If I shift up from 2nd to 3rd the car pulls fine and will continue pulling as it goes into 4th and 5th.
    I'm no expert, but I've been through a few transmissions, and it sounds like your clutch plates are shot, they don't have any friction left on them to hold. What was the fluid like when you drained and replaced it, metal shavings sparkling? It's possible you got low on fluid and ruined the clutch plates. Always a chance the valve body is not applying enough pressure to hold the clutch plates together though.

It sounds like many stories where an owner changed the fluid on a trans that had never had the fluid changed. They removed the old viscous fluid that was actually helping the clutch plates stick together better. With the new smoother fluid you get slipping as you describe.

Unless you have papers on the $6-10k trans replacement, I'd question what kind of rebuild was done, maybe just the valve body. Find the shop that did the work, usually on Carfax.

I think, and not sure, but gears 1-3 are on one set, and gears 4-5 on another, could explain why you notice the issue more on the 3-4 shift.

And you're sure the shop filled it correctly with the VAG software and temp settings? Papers are on my website in my signature.

Also consider if the trans pan is dented up it can be close to the filter pickup pipe and starve fluid, some people trim the filter pickup tube 1/8" or so...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com