Thread: Traction Control and ABS lights

Traction Control and ABS lights

Hey everyone.

My ABS and Traction Control warning lights come on and stay on every 10th start or so. Starts 1 - 9 no lights or warnings. Also, if they turn on with the 10th, they are gone on the 11th and stay off until the 20th start.

I do not notice any change in performance, hard braking or normal braking. Acceleration or cornering, no performance changes at all.

I have an OB2 I can plug in once I get the snow cover off in the next couple days. Before then, wondering if there are known censors I should pay attention to that tend to fail or be problematic causing these to light up. Or, if anyone else has experience with these specific lights?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201201_221618823.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	19363  
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

I had some intermittent ABS/traction lights earlier this year, and the codes called out the yaw rate sensor, which is under the middle of the back seat. Didn’t happen with near the consistency/predictability of yours, but just my experience. I never replaced the sensor, and it stopped occurring. It can probably be many things though, wheel speed sensors, ABS module, etc. I think in most cases both lights will come on together, because ABS is part of the traction control system. VCDS will tell all!

Also, try Google searching “site:rs6.com abs traction control” and you’ll get links to lots of prior threads on the topic.
    Last edited by AudiPilot; December 17th, 2020 at 00:46.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    I had some intermittent ABS/traction lights earlier this year, and the codes called out the yaw rate sensor, which is under the middle of the back seat. Didn’t happen with near the consistency/predictability of yours, but just my experience. I never replaced the sensor, and it stopped occurring. It can probably be many things though, wheel speed sensors, ABS module, etc. I think in most cases both lights will come on together, because ABS is part of the traction control system. VCDS will tell all!

Also, try Google searching “site:rs6.com abs traction control” and you’ll get links to lots of prior threads on the topic.

I have been experiencing this as well, although not as frequently. Both those lights come on while either driving or stopped while the car is running. It has probably been about 3 - 4 years since I had the "dry-side" or electrical side of the ABS unit rebuilt by Module Masters - at that time, both lights came on and would not go out. Vag Com denoted issues with the ABS unit, research indicated that the module was the issue. I wonder if it is starting to act up again. BTW - you do get a 5 year warranty from Module Masters and the rebuild was around $300 or so. The dry side can be removed and car can still be operable - albeit - no ABS or traction control will be working.

Awesome, thank you both. Once I get a code read and figure out what it's saying I'll check out Module Masters, thanks for the tip @cruzanrs6

@AudiPilot, thanks for the search suggestion. I tried search the forum directly with no luck, didn't think to Google the format you shared. Lots of results!
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

Absolutely, that was a trick I was given early on by other members to pull content out of the site… The integrated search is definitely a weak spot!

I highly recommend getting the DIY VCDS for $199 from Ross-Tech... at first I tried a generic Bluetooth reader that promised it could read everything... pretty sure it could only read engine codes, as it missed multiple others I knew I had at the time. All-in the VCDS with a cheap Windows laptop (since it doesn’t run on MacOS) was under $500, and well worth the peace of mind in my humble opinion.