Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler blues

New EGT sensors are very expensive. If you can get a used one cheaply - worth a shot.
    Can also order 2 replacement boards from http://www.sidmotorsport.pl/ as mentioned earlier by P1054.
    Regarding the tune - I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Muggy's mostly correct.

Although, if there's a code for EGT sensors - they're going (gone) bad.
    Triggering high temp thresholds is considered "normal operation", so no codes will be stored for that.

The tuner he's talking about is yours truly.
    Great to know and thanks for the clarification on codes for the EGT sensors...

And yes, nubcake is also secretly Obi Wan Tuneobi!

DKP, if you are happy with a stock tune/power, then you probably could care less about the TCU tune. I know that nubcake will follow up, but his tuning procedure is a breeze once you get a few cables. You'll also need an older PC/laptop running Windows...XP I think? I bought a cheap one on eBay just for this purpose. Nubcake can guide you through the process, but honestly, again, if you are happy with what you have, there's no need to upgrade....just stick with quality repairs to OEM spec.

Sounds like much has already been covered, for what it's worth I went with Wagner kit a month ago and things are great.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wagner Passenger.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	19356  
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

Not that it really matters, but I thing your grilles are in backwards...notice the "WE" logo on a site listing them for sale and mine on the bench. The tabs on the side with the logo are backwards on yours and should tuck behind the edge of the bumper opening.

EDIT...still trying to figure this out...looks like my tabs are reversed from the ones on the web site photos, so maybe yours are in "correctly"...I have my bumper on my back porch now and will make this a project this weekend to take a closer look!

https://www.etektuning.com/wagner-tu...r-inlet-grills

https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...001002025.html
    Last edited by Muggy; December 8th, 2020 at 11:29.

I noticed this when I got it back a couple weeks ago, though I kinda like that is says ew cuz this car is gross.

I just haven't had the chance yet to flip them around and see, let me know what you find out though. If in fact it is backwards, I will make the time to flip them.
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

Quote Originally Posted by GermanzAutozYaa View Post
    I noticed this when I got it back a couple weeks ago, though I kinda like that is says ew cuz this car is gross.

I just haven't had the chance yet to flip them around and see, let me know what you find out though. If in fact it is backwards, I will make the time to flip them.
    Yeah, I'll take a look...it's a mini project that I've been wanting to work on for a while since my bumper is off for my engine pull. I'm considering pulling the fogs to open up the intakes a bit as well as long as I'm happy with the look and fit of the Wagner grills.

Hey P1054. Quick question. Did you do the board replacement on your EGT’s yourself or have a shop do it? If you did it yourself what was your technique on getting them open without breaking them.

thanks. DKP

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post
    Hey P1054. Quick question. Did you do the board replacement on your EGT’s yourself or have a shop do it? If you did it yourself what was your technique on getting them open without breaking them.

thanks. DKP
    Not P1054, but I repaired mine as well, and if I recall correctly, I just carefully pried the case open, using a sharp blade and patience. I did the re-solder per this thread: https://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/3...ir-with-photos and it's been working fine ever since. I also did it with the sensors still attached to the car because they are pretty much impossible to remove with the engine installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Yeah, I'll take a look...it's a mini project that I've been wanting to work on for a while since my bumper is off for my engine pull. I'm considering pulling the fogs to open up the intakes a bit as well as long as I'm happy with the look and fit of the Wagner grills.
    Mine are reversed:

One thing to keep in mind is that ideally these can easily be removed (particularly the passenger side) because they need to come out if you ever have to use the tow hook.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grill.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	19357  

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post

thanks. DKP
    I did them myself. The process was just how Gregg explained. I also referred to the post Gregg linked below, but my EGTs had a hard rubbery black filler instead of silicone gel. The hardest part was getting all of that filler material off the PCB inside the case. Once I got that out of the way, the board replacement was straightforward.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Thanks for all the pointers gentlemen. I sourced a couple of used ones that I’m not thrilled about using as well as ordered the new boards. Unfortunately the shop needs their lift back and my car is taking up a bay so I’ve got a deadline. So I’ll install the used and cross my fingers and if for some reason the boards show up in time I’ll fix my old ones. If the used ones crap out next year I’ll do the board replacement in car as described.

As a side note I know Audi didn’t send all than many of these to the states but they did sell them for a few years in Europe. It just seems lame that parts are getting so hard to find and I thought the Audi Heritage site was incredibly lame. I’ve not had an occasion to visit the Mercedes heritage site but I feel it must be more comprehensive as they advertise it in most of the car magazines. Just seems like more effort could be put into keeping their cars on the road. I know it’s a business but I’d think it would be good for business as an advertising campaign or something. Looking for parts the last couple weeks has been a world tour and nearly a full time job. I’ve been to Russia, Poland, Slovakia, Italy and Minnesota.
    OK I’m done venting.

thanks again everyone for all the insights. This sight literally makes the RS6 experience possible.

I feel your pain...definitely way more stressful when you have a deadline and significant amounts of cash to deal with. I've been planning my project for over a year and was forced to take the car off the road around April due to oil leaks inside one of my turbos. Looks like I'll probably be off the road for about a year once all said and done, but fortunately in my own garage where I can work on it at my leisure. Keep up the faith, you'll love it again when you get it back and can roll onto the boost!

Let’s hope the love comes back. Like I’ve said before she’s the crazy hot chick from our youth. One minute she’s everything you dreamed she could be next minute she’s throwing plates at you.

Anyway when it’s all said and done I’ll have new intercoolers, new ducting , everything under the manifold new, new HVAC , coolant and intake hoses. New oil cooler. Replaced the little coolant pipe with the new double o rings model , new/used EGT sensors , everything power washed and clean so Hopefully she won’t throw any plates at me for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Mine are reversed:

One thing to keep in mind is that ideally these can easily be removed (particularly the passenger side) because they need to come out if you ever have to use the tow hook.
    i had ordered these grills because i thought they looked cool, racing mesh and all that. However when they arrived i was disgusted at how shit they were made. Couldn't believe i had paid for some cheap chicken wire. The mesh was so thin in places it was barely connected. The final straw was when i went to install them and was even more disappointed into how they get installed with a cheap tab and screw......WTF. definitely didn't suit being installed on an RS6. I contacted wagner but they were no help.
    Needless to say I ended up throwing them in the garbage.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Well finally after nearly two months and an embarrassingly large invoice paid the intercooler blues have hopefully turned into motoring bliss for the foreseeable future. Ended up with new intercoolers, full valve cover gasket set, every HVAV, coolant and intake hose replaced, every oil seal, new oil cooler, new alternator, auxiliary coolant pump, new air shrouds all around, new tie rod ends, new suction jet pump, new circuit boards soldered into the EGT sensors and an alignment. I must say with new intercoolers and all the air leaks sealed up the old girl really has some extra get up and go. It was so nice to pull into the garage and not have that faint smell of coolant, and oil after shut off. I'd have to say it feels and sounds factory fresh. Feels good to have that all done and hopefully I'll be rewarded with trouble free motoring for the next 4-5 years.

Congrats on getting it back! Believe me, with just what I've spent in parts alone even before my trans swap parts, I can only imagine what your "bail" payment was for the beast. Glad that you are happy with the renewed life and performance...not just a Meh, yeah, it's back in the garage feeling. Just let me know if you need an extra trans for rebuilding in the future...I'll have 2 and not much desire to store after mine is back together.

Thanks Muggy. My fantasy plan was to have you ship it straight to Tozo or level 10 have it rebuilt then put in my parts bin. However after my latest financial beating I need a little break. Maybe my financial attitude will change in a bit and I’ll follow through. Let me know when your at the end of your storage tolerance and I can see how I feel. I appreciate it. The trans you’re pulling out of your car is stiff functional correct. It’s not already toast? Thanks again.

No worries right now...enjoy your car for a bit without any more $$$ out! Mine was working fine, but figured that it should have an overhaul and updated torque converter while the motor was out, but then decided to go full swap for the same $$$ as a rebuild. PO changed the fluid on mine a few years ago, which I honestly think was a dealer replaced unit at about 50k miles many years ago. I also have Jolio's spare too, which is of unknown condition, but he said he pulled just to go 6 speed for fun.