Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many C5 RS6s are left?

How many C5 RS6s are left?

There's always talk about how many C5 RS6's were produced, imported to the US, interior/exterior combinations, etc.

When I did my 6-speed swap I pivoted to tracking how many swaps existed. I estimated somewhere around 20 at the time but that number is much higher now.

Then I went through a time where I was planning to do an S6/RS6 Avant clone. Far fewer of those but they tend to be immaculate examples.

I've seen numerous part-outs, salvage auction posts and many cannibalized for swaps. I stopped actively documenting VINs I came across a couple years ago but at the time I'd only collected ~230ish. Then you have people like DHall1 who for a time were stockpiling them.

Now I wonder how many are actually left?

The active community on this forum and audizine (C5 RS6 specific) has drastically shrank. People have moved on to newer platforms. I understand there might be a strong group of enthusiasts on Facebook but I avoid that place like the plague.

Thoughts?
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Plus one on the facebook sentiment. Facebook makes my skin crawl.

Yes traffic has slowed on the RS6 platform especially since D Hall has gone into semi retirement. Others that popped up that had big plans and lots of excitement have faded away into the either as well. Unfortunately I think we will see more disappear as the prices have tanked for the most part. Although the one on BAT right now had a nice bump to 27K. But thats a super low milage example and put any decent miles on it and it will all be vaporized. I have a theory that I have seen proven over and over again. The first owner of a high end luxury/performance car enjoys the car and of course all maintenance is up to date as it's under warranty. Then comes owner number 2 which is myself and a lot of others on this site. True enthusiasts that understand the nature of the car and continue the maintenance and overall car ie garaged, no winters etc. Then comes the next set of owners who often times buy what they perceive as a major score because they got a sweet deal not realizing that brakes cost 2 grand or that a lot of the repairs start with the phrase "remove engine" and thus begins the slow deterioration of an RS 6 parked outside next to the garage rotting and drying out in the sun. soon it needs brakes, and a suction jet pump,(like mine) and maybe a pair of front axles and pretty soon you have just passed the price you paid for the car. I hade a 1990 Audi V8 that I loved and it never went without proper care and feeding. Put 260,000 miles on it. Got a measly 2000.00 for it and I would bet its sitting dry rotting someplace as we speak. I sure hope not but I'll bet it is. I almost didn't finish the transaction when I found out he didn't have a garage. So as the prices of these cars drop I think the cycle of slow deterioration will continue. Nene is one of the great stewards of the car as an original owner and someone who still lavishes the car with love.

Another thing that doesn't help is parts availability and the associated costs. Maybe I'm to much of a simpleton and not greedy enough but It seems Audi could have some great PR helping the likes of many of us "vintage" Audi's owners stay on the roads. I build houses for a leaving and damn near everything I've ever done for free has come back in the form of way more business and referrals. Audi North America seems more in the what ever the market will bear mind set.

OK those are my thought on a blustery chilly Colorado afternoon.

Long live the RS6 and those who keep them going. A special car for sure.

I continue to waffle on keeping mine or moving on... I continue to maintain it (new brakes and tires this year)... 2nd owner... bought it with 60k and just under 100k miles now.

I'm at 75k on mine and finished my 6spd conversion late last year. Haven't been driving it much as I get a lot of gear noise from the transmission (TDI unit). It shifts fine but I may try replacing the front axles first before pulling the transmission. It is a blast to drive though. With Nubcakes tune and a few mods it has so much torque that it can be scary on a wet road if you push it, what fun. I do have a B8.5 Stg2 S5 & a 8.5 Stg2 RS5 that are a blast. The newer platforms are a little more balanced and more modern electronics. I'll probably keep it to the end.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Probably haven't put 500 miles on it in the 5 years since I bought it due to transmission problems. No need to sell it so I'll wait until the prices start going up to do so. Not interested in the $8-9K offers I've gotten when 4 cylinder M3's are over $40K.

I tend to go through my toy cars about every 3-4 years, but I think the RS6 is different. My son actually bought the RS6 as a toy for both of us to drive...he decided that even though he loved the car, that he'd rather re-align his $$$ to a future house, so I bought the car from him about a year ago as I just couldn't see it go so soon. It's always lived at my garage and he's been living at home (and now his GF too) through the corona mess. Looks like his plan has paid off as they have a contract in on a great house and should settle in about a month...they are both 24 and very focused...

The crazy thing is that my wife actually likes this car! She usually hates my fun stuff...her mom actually loves it too and sorely misses her '07 A6 Avant that she traded for a Q5 a few years ago.

I'm looking forward to wrapping up my refresh soon and get back out on the road, but I figured that I'd rather take my time and do it right since it's not in my way in the garage taken apart. I do miss driving it though...it's been about 5 months now off the road... since corona changed the entire way that I work and have been committed to pretty much 6 days a week working, it's tougher to find time to focus on multi hour wrenching sessions.

I haven't had any real issues with my transmission, so I was on the fence about any upgrades or a rebuild on this engine out round...I don't mind the auto box, but would love to row the gears on this thing...

Original owner hanging on with 210K rolled. Too many adventures to ever let it go. Such an easy fast/fun car to drive. It has plenty of room for the golf clubs and still runs great. About to send it in to the shop for TB and refresher. Times like these I'm glad my business partner likes working on these things

https://oharaauto.com/

When I want to row gears, the 996TT comes out of the garage, or the 996 comes out for track duty like this weekend at Barber. If any of you freaks are around Barber this weekend, track me down and say Hello!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ohara.jpg 
Views:	1412 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	19349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1(23).jpg 
Views:	1382 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	19350  
    210K miles rolled

To the original question, how many C5 RS6s are left?

I'm exaggerating of course, but based on the amount of partout threads on AZ, you would think that there are none left on the road.

Same for 6MT conversions. More of those than autotragics that are still on the road? Getting closer by the year.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

There are still a few of us that are trying to keep that flame alive. Even back when these cars were new you hardly ever saw them around, and now less so.
    Been driving mine this week. A few times for coffee and croissant with the lady. This afternoon we went over to a local Porsche and Audi dealership and decided to get a new 2020 Macan GTS. Our 2015 Macan Turbo will be going to a new home in a month or so. Overall driving around is not a whole lot, but still get her out every now and then.

Keeping that flame alive...

Good to see some familiar names still and a few new from time to time.

There's no way to really tell how many of us are still out there. I've been mostly lurking because *surprise* my car has been pretty reliable over the past year. The ideal next phase is going to take another wheelbarrow of cash beyond the $40k+ I've dumped into it during my 7 years of ownership. Of which I'm not prepared to do at this time. Still makes me smile when it hits boost.

Until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion that there are only a few hundred left on the road, hidden away in garages or sitting under a tree cause the 5Tip gave up the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Haven't been driving it much as I get a lot of gear noise from the transmission (TDI unit). It shifts fine but I may try replacing the front axles first before pulling the transmission.
    Check your prop-shaft CV joints too. I had a front CV gasket fail that caused a severe whine from the drivetrain (predominantly in 3rd). I thought the trans was a goner but was just a nearly dry CV.

Also, not to cause alarm, but given what I know now I wouldn't rule out the trans depending on where it was sourced.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post

The active community on this forum and audizine (C5 RS6 specific) has drastically shrank. People have moved on to newer platforms. I understand there might be a strong group of enthusiasts on Facebook but I avoid that place like the plague.

Thoughts?

I avoid FacePage too, that's why I am here haha. I just purchased my RS6 a few weeks ago, I am 4th owner. 45K miles, just did a pretty hefty service on it. No tunes, mostly stock. I just threw Wagner Intercoolers at it but everything else is stock.

Definitely enjoying it so far. I have really only been behind the wheel for maybe 100 miles or so, because I took it in shortly after purchase and just got it back last week. Still have a couple leaks I need to take care of, and the oil pan dented when bottomed out once it looks like (or maybe drove over road debris).

I need to replace the AC condenser and oil pan, a couple hoses, transmissions cooler, wiper fluid lines dried and cracked and are now leaking, and steering line is leaking. Once all that is done I think the car will have *fingers crossed* be a nice comfortable owner for the next few years.

My kids (5 and 3 years) love it, and my wife had a big smile first time she drove it and felt the boost. Going to be a nice cars and coffee and cruiser car.
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

Glad to hear that your wife approves....always a plus! My wife loves the car, but terrified of the boost. She's always racing around in her mini and accuses me of driving too slow when I'm in my DD Explorer Sport, but when we get in the RS6, she tells me from the start not to scare her...I've never shown her the real wrath of the power...

I mainly have women working for me, and they always have to listen to my car talk and put up with me because I can fix everything...they love the look of the car, but none have ever been in a real performance car and would tease me about my power trip. Before I took mine off the road in the spring for the overhaul, I took one of my managers out for a quick zip around town...from the first throttle down, she screamed and laughed for the entire 15 minute ride. She told her sister about it (she works for me too), so I took her out...same thing....absolute rush for them that they still talk about 9 months later when I tell them what I'm working on....now they too understand why I enjoy my hobby!

My wife's standard response is "JESUS CHRIST GREGG, KNOCK IT OFF!", usually followed by comments about how I still act like a teenager. I take these as a compliment. Another recent response from a coworker was "OH MY GOD!". Apparently riding in an RS6 is a religious experience.

My 12 year-old daughter however, loves it. She is always encouraging me to do the "zoom zoom". I often have to explain that "zoom zoom" will get dad in "jail jail" in many places.

Still some old timers around here, but I would agree there must be very few left on the road. I have not seen another RS6 driving around the SF Peninsula for quite a while now. Those of you who can wrench on your own can keep the flame going, otherwise it is critical to have a good independent shop to depend on. Other than the 034 Motorsport tune, which is great, the best and most important mod is the Valentine 1 on the visor!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

In Europe they are quite rare as well, I guess many have seen better days and that the new owners can't afford to keep the running.

Note my "join date 2002", when I started this forum.

Facebook was started in 2004. LOL
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    In Europe they are quite rare as well, I guess many have seen better days and that the new owners can't afford to keep the running.

Note my "join date 2002", when I started this forum.

Facebook was started in 2004. LOL
    LOL...thanks for keeping it rolling for a very limited community....I've found it extremely helpful in my last few years of RS6 ownership and have no plans to change my choice of thrill ride any time soon....happy that I can contribute here and there with additional relevant content.

Canadian Response

Hey all,

We received even fewer C5's here in Canada in 2003, and just like down south all were sedans. Winter is not kind in most of Canada and 18 year on there are very few left (Maybe 30 ) however we have a 15 year import rule so some cars are now coming in from Japan ( Low Low KM's / Miles ). I bought my Avant new in 04 from Bristol Audi UK and drove it till I left the Uk in 2012. I sold it to a lawyer who sadly beat on her for 60K miles, I bought her back in 2018 and she arrived in Vancouver in March of 2019 - Immediately went to Audi and then did a frame up restoration and then we rebuild the engine and while she looks mostly stock there is tuning and lot's of upgrades to the suspension and performance. I also pulled the entire sound system and upgraded it to the latest apple car play and had her sanded and resprayed in the original blue and then wrapped in 3M Clear. here are a couple of pics... She is now a garage princess... yes I am crazy but this car is my first and only love affair and I am keeping her forever now....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C2C7CBB-F574-4977-9130-5F2B18C19152.jpg 
Views:	1238 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	19352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	807395FA-8F3A-43B1-8973-47D776101315.jpg 
Views:	1226 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	19353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4986.jpg 
Views:	1241 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	19354  

Original owner. Still going. Just over 77K on odometer.

Saw a 2021 RS6 Avant in the wild yesterday. Looked super. Don't really want a wagon, but what a wagon to have!

CW