Thread: Stiff center dif?

Hybrid View

Stiff center dif?

So maybe an issue, maybe not. Never noticed this before, started to park in a city garage with multiple levels, and when my tires are wet the car jumps and skips roughly around the corners going up or down a level. Feels just like a 4wd truck that’s locked in 4x4 on pavement if you’ve ever felt that, feels like it’s going to snap an axle. CV joints are fine and zero issues on dry pavement or in the garage when dry.

Either the RS6 center dif is really stiff and tight, or mine is locked up and needs maintenance. Thoughts?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I’ve noticed mine isn’t smooth with the wheel cranked over 2/3 to full in a given turn direction, with the “locked up” feel of a 4x4 on pavement... So either mine has a problem, too, or it’s normal behavior! I figured the car was built to go fast in a straight line, so parking lot smoothness wasn’t in the design. Curious about it now that you’ve raised the question!

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    I’ve noticed mine isn’t smooth with the wheel cranked over 2/3 to full in a given turn direction, with the “locked up” feel of a 4x4 on pavement... So either mine has a problem, too, or it’s normal behavior! I figured the car was built to go fast in a straight line, so parking lot smoothness wasn’t in the design. Curious about it now that you’ve raised the question!
    Ah, I should have mentioned I've always had the center diff "grind grumble" when turning full lock or close to it on dry or wet pavement. I've heard it's fairly typical, varies some but tires could affect that. I was planning on changing fluid someday here even though it's "lifetime" I think.

My issue is wet only on the slick cement in the parking garage. It's like instead of allowing the tire to grab traction on the tight turn and turn the center diff, the wheel breaks loose and pops along the ground as it tries to keep up with the tire on the other side of the axle. Or it's the whole front axle trying to break loose to keep up with the rear as it's not getting enough traction to turn the center diff.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I would say nature of the beast on the RS6...mine behaves the same as you described, at least in dry conditions....I never take mine out when wet, so can’t comment there, but would assume the same as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    I would say nature of the beast on the RS6...mine behaves the same as you described, at least in dry conditions....I never take mine out when wet, so can’t comment there, but would assume the same as yours.
    Yea it's a bit of an odd one. Funny, I got in the habit of never taking mine out in the wet and moved into garage collector mode, but got a new office and my truck was a pain to park down there so I'm commuting with the car again, which is nice it just gets a bit dirty now.

I would be fine if it was just more vibrating, but the damn thing snaps and pops like it's going to rip a CV joint apart.