Thread: Service advice: and other updates/upgrades advice

Mech Service advice: and other updates/upgrades advice

I currently have my car getting timing belt service, valve covers, spark plugs, replacement intercoolers from Wagner Tuning, and Oil change. First time owner of an RS6 and trying to do everything by the book recommended by the maintenance manual. Hoping I can get your advice on my below list, and add or subtract anything you think is missing or not needed. The car has just under 45,000 miles.

I'm asking for a full quote from the shop I have it at on:

Timing belt service:
    Intercooler work and Labor:
    Spark Plugs and labor:
    Valve Cover Gaskets and labor:
    Water pump and labor:
    AC condenser and labor (are we needing to do that?):
    Oil Change and labor:
    Brake fluid and labor:
    Transmission fluid and labor:
    Rotors/calipers and labor (all 4 corners):

Also, while I have the labor invested in already have the motor/transmission pulled, should I be upgrading anything? Do I upgrade the tourque converter now? I am not planning on any tunes or power upgrades, I would like to keep the car as stock as possible. Is my fear of transmission failure mostly on upgraded and tuned powerplants?

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

If keeping power stock, you shouldn't worry about trans longevity.
    JMHO.

Timing belt and water pump are the same project, so should be covered under one labor charge
    Wagner intercoolers are a great upgrade, I have them that the PO put on mine...OEM ones seem to have issues
    Plugs and VC done at the same time, so should be one labor charge
    AC condenser...this is relatively easy to take off later with a failure and in worse case, no AC, so may not be necessary with only 45k on the car
    Fluid changes are always good...
    Wondering about the calipers, any reason to change? I can see rotors and pads, but calipers are not usually an issue.

Maybe pull the cams for the tensioner pads...mainly for age, not mileage. I was surprised that mine were in very good shape with 105k, but worried about brittleness and falling apart with other stories that I've heard with 17 year old plastic internal engine parts.

As I'm sure you've seen since you just registered (Welcome!) that I'm in the middle of a project on mine...I'll be keeping it current with new content soon...still collecting bits from all over.

One add-on with the motor out might be EGT sensors if you have (soft) codes for those... mine don’t throw a CEL but both of them log faults. There’s a DIY soldering repair, but an actual replacement is going to mean engine out for most shops, so might be worth it if you have those codes!

Replacing a plastic oil cooler line with an aluminum Bufkin option would be engine-out, but Muggy just recently indicated they’re no longer available! http://www.audirssix.com/ is a great resource, put together by a member here!

I while back I had do many of the same items on an early 70K mile service (at 60K miles), mainly because of age of the vehicle given I don't drive her much.
    My list was posted here: My 70K mile service

Where are you taking the car?

have they started work?

Why is the motor trans getting pulled, none of that maintenance requires it?

Also to do; Bufkin oil-coolant pipe, cam adjust pads (crack over time, not just mileage), cam seals. List of stuff on my website below.

If the trans and TC have caused no problems, I'd be hesitant to open them up. Fluid change should be better, but can also cause issues sometimes, supposedly lifetime fluid I think? Also as mentioned if you're stock power then it should be just fine.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

DHall1, Hardey's Motorwerks in Parker Colorado. Yes they've started. Do you have other recommendation?

lswing, I may have mispoke on everything being pulled. I think they actually just have it in service mode (new owner so learning still some of what these things mean for this car). I was planning on stopping by the shop today or tomorrow to check in.

Muggy, when I said calipers I meant pads, not calipers.

nubcake, thanks and yes, planning on keeping stock power so glad to hear I should be fine.

Y'all provided me a TON of great feedback. Thank you.
    - - Brian - -
    Instagram: @GermanzAutozYaa
    2003 RS6 #905231 | Black/Silver/Wood/SE

Troy Casteel at Apikol.

knows RS6 upside down and backwards.

consider him in future