Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    ................ I was a little worried about the shift linkage being too notchy. I do have the full JHM short shifter, and all of the associated upgraded bushings/etc., so I was expecting some notchiness for sure, but not as much as I had. It was taking me too long to shift from 1-2 and 2-3 safely, pretty much killing the advantage and fun of all the power. I re-watched some adjustment vids and was able to spend some time driving and adjusting, so now I'm pretty happy with it. It's notchier now when shifting into 1st at a light, but better on the road under load, which is obviously more important! These things do have a sweet spot for sure! I also still have it at the 35% reduction setting, and may go to the 10%, but now that I have it where it is, I may leave it. Also, I was using the very heavy stainless knob, but decided to try the weighted Delrin version (both JHM), and am happier now with the lighter one that is still a lot heavier than the stock POS.

Keep !
    I have both the JHM short shifter on a spare RS4 01E and a UK made shifter fitted in my car. They both look much the same and I haven't measured up for minor differences but the UK shifter is spot on. The OE setup is a fairly light clutch and a long throw which match in feel. My fitted box has the 1-2 hesitation with wear in the synchro and shift collar. Contrary to popular belief, fitting the short shifter actually improved the shift to where the 1-2 shift is actually quite OK as is. A reason I haven't prioritized a box swap yet.

Some years ago I added a plus 15 clutch and short shifter and the clutch is markedly heavier and the shift very short. You can certainly get the shift adjusted to a perfect alignment and the pair just complement each other in feel using a stock knob. Personally can't see the benefit in the weighted knobs with a throw of 2-3 inches.

I wonder if the short throw makes it feel notchy. I'd call mine firm but there is absolutely no interference between neutral and in gear and that's in an old box. Just ''click". That said, it took some time fiddling to get the alignment perfect. Made up a tool as a spacer gauge. In part you can tell when you are in the alignment ball park as you can get reverse every single time with no issues.

My fitted 01E box is the early linkage RS4 version and the UK shifter came in different versions for that one and another for the later linkages. The spare box has every bit JHM made thrown at it, in and out. I haven't yet fitted it but the PO spend a mint getting a race build and then wrote off the car, but he reported it as a sweet shifter.

JHM exterior bits

and the UK shifter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	19591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sams JHM top.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	19592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UK shifter.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	19593  
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8