Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

I did the full JHM 01E linkage on mine and I'm glad I did. Still have a little fine tuning on the adjustment but all of the gears are there when I need them. Definitely not much slop which is nice. Congrats on the progress, you're getting close.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Good you did the short shifter? Probably the best "feel" mod I have done. I put a UK short shifter in my RS4 and have the JHM short shifter kit for my spare 01E. The spare box has everything JHM offers installed in it plus new mainshaft and bearings.

Finally plugging away again...got the tranny attached, metal slave on, new throwout bearing in, and started re-connecting the oil and water feeds for the turbos. Hoping to get the turbos and manifolds on today...I'm really glad that I took lots of pics on the teardown to refer to after being laid up for 15 months! Also love having the motorcycle jack to lift the trans...made aligning and mating the engine and trans a breeze without having to use any bolts to draw together.

Looks like I may have the same engine hoist and motorcycle jack as you. I did use the motorcycle hoist to lift the transmission but I used a flat hydraulic table/cart (1000lb rated from Harbor freight) to set the engine on. I do have the luxury of a lift so the car was sitting about 3' off the ground and I rolled the assembly underneath and slowly lifted the engine/tranny into place. I have Miltek downpipes and found that the left side was rubbing slightly on the OEM transmission mounts bolted up to the 01E so I used these and they worked perfectly: https://audis4parts.com/audi-b5-s4/s...sion-brackets/
    Roy, WA

Excellent, I was looking at those mounts myself and thinking of the upgrade while out...the ones that came with mine are a little rough on the bottom that look like they were dragged across the ground.

I did get more work done today...did the "hard" side first...there certainly isn't much wiggle room in there! Hoping to finish the other side tomorrow night...again, glad that I took lots of pics on teardown and earmarked my sites to re-cross check part numbers on all of the crush washers and o-rings...

A bit more work done last night...got second side manifold and turbo installed. I'll definitely need to hit the exhaust shop to move the bung a bit on the driver's side O2 sensor. Hoping to just rotate it a bit to clear the shift linkage. I have a decent custom shop about a half hour away that has done full custom systems on a few of my past toys, so this should be easy for them, especially since they will be on the bench. Plus, the top O2's are locked in solid, so probably need some serious heat our cut out anyway...since the whole thing started from a blown turbo spewing oil down the pipe on the right side, the sensor/s are shot and need replacing anyway.

Also, very close to bumping the trans mount on that side, already have the steel ones from A4P on the way! Glad to see that Phil was able to ship same day...after months waiting for the trans, I was a bit skeptical, but, thanks Phil!

I had the same issues with the Left O2 sensor, had an exhaust shop move it a couple of inches on my Miltek pipe.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I had the same issues with the Left O2 sensor, had an exhaust shop move it a couple of inches on my Miltek pipe.
    Which direction did you go, towards the firewall or front? I'd imagine towards the back, but I don't want any clearance issues with the sensor and the firewall...

Shifter is in 3rd/4th gear resting position as shown in the pics, so obviously a no go for 5th/6th at this point.

I went to the back but also about an inch lower (downstream).
    Roy, WA

Bear in mind, you want any water (condensation) being able to naturally drain from the sensor.
    So don't install it horizontally or facing upwards.