Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Hybrid View

Appreciate the thoughts! At this point, I'm pretty happy...and I'm sure the more I drive it, the better feel I'll have. I'll keep fiddling and may try the throw adjustment to 10%, but happy enough to move forward on other projects.

Next up, Nubcake has been refining my tunes, so some more logging this weekend. I'm still amazed at Nub's wealth of knowledge and responsiveness...definitely a huge asset for us that have had the pleasure to work with! Thinking that I'm happy with the shifting now, and before I get too close on the tune, I should go ahead and finish up my exhaust and meth injection.

For the exhaust, I'm bored with the Milltek rear cans...way to mild for me now. I may yank those back off this weekend and get some custom work from the axle back...not open pipes, but definitely something that lets this car speak with authority when you want to hear it! I think these would be perfect on the S6 where you have the V8, but no turbos to tone down the rumble.

Also need to install the AEM V3 meth kit...I tapped the intake pipe when off for 2 nozzles and have plugs in it now, plus I ran a wire from an injector pin off of the ECU harness to use the injector duty cycle triggering option. Just need to do the simpler install parts now...hang the pump & tank, plumb it up, and do general basic wiring. At this point, I'm not thrilled with the location of the nozzles, as I'll need to keep my front carbon trim off. The location is close, but off just enough...I may pick up a spare intake pipe and re-do since I can see exactly where they should be at this point to be able to keep my trim pieces in place, but that is for another day as long as the system is functional. Other option would be to pick up a spare carbon and do a little trimming...not excited to cut my original, but would be willing to do so with an extra piece.

More updates soon, and a big thanks to all that have had input throughout the process to help me get this done!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    For the exhaust, I'm bored with the Milltek rear cans...way to mild for me now. I may yank those back off this weekend and get some custom work from the axle back...not open pipes, but definitely something that lets this car speak with authority when you want to hear it! I think these would be perfect on the S6 where you have the V8, but no turbos to tone down the rumble.
    .................................................. .
    Which Miltek system do you have. Way back Miltek had a 3 inch turbo back race system; DP's, no Cats, no resonators, just rear mufflers. I have that system with a pair of 100 CEL Cats added and it is acceptably quiet around town but very noticeable under hard acceleration. It is also quiet enough at cruising speed to prevent annoyance over several days driving.

It's only hardware and that configuration from anyone should work well. Only unknown is your local emissions laws and noise regulation. It isn't that quiet under a heavy foot.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Which Miltek system do you have. Way back Miltek had a 3 inch turbo back race system; DP's, no Cats, no resonators, just rear mufflers. I have that system with a pair of 100 CEL Cats added and it is acceptably quiet around town but very noticeable under hard acceleration. It is also quiet enough at cruising speed to prevent annoyance over several days driving.

It's only hardware and that configuration from anyone should work well. Only unknown is your local emissions laws and noise regulation. It isn't that quiet under a heavy foot.
    My car came with the Miltek catless DP's that were connected to the factory sport system with a slight reducer coupling. I picked up the non-res Miltek system a couple of years ago and bolted that up...at the time, the change was almost unnoticeable between the 2 systems except for a slightly deeper rumble at idle. I'd imagine that it has some extra roar at full throttle, but after driving around a bit with the open pipes at the rear axle, it sounds almost silent. I would definitely miss the turbo whine, snaps/cracks at redline/shifting, and downshift gurgles and pops, which is all a part of the driving experience for a fun, sunny day driver that this car is to me. I could care less about highway drone, etc., but it is getting a little annoying to get through 1st and 2nd sounding like I'm on a drag strip at every light, even with the lightest of throttle to get moving.

I love every sound out of the system without the mufflers on the manual trans, but it is just too loud for any long term setup. I may just grow up and put the Miltek mufflers back on...that said, I was never happy with the fit...I had to space the center pipe out a bit near the rear axle to get the tips to line up correctly at the back end, which would make it bump on the tunnel which was/is annoying. I have an appointment with my exhaust guy this week, and he can either do a straight pipe system, somewhat muffled, or make my Miltek fit correctly. Unfortunately with current supply chain issues, he doesn't really have anything in stock like he used to, so all mufflers or resonators need to be ordered and paid for before any trial fitting...

As far as emissions, I really should have cats in there...I may have him put some high flows in up front...I squeaked through emissions a few years ago, but am due again now and have had a few extensions since the car was off of the road. They are supposed to do a visual, but can't see under my lowered car with the mirrors...that said, I honestly can't believe that they don't have a simple camera system that looks under the car, but this is just my speculation. Tune wise, I'm hoping that I'll make it through with the SAI delete in the tune as it takes out the CEL, but not the rediness code, which may cause it to fail. All that said, I'd be a year out on an exemption if I switch to Historic registration for 20+ year old cars that limits mileage (which is no problem).

I'll follow up in a week or so once I make some decisions and get some work done!