Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    They were a perfect fit on my car so something must be up. You'd think they weld them up in some type of fixture to make it easy and all the same? Is it just me or do those mounts (Poly?) seem a little high?
    Appreciate the thoughts...yes, you'd think that the brackets would be jig produced given the proper fit to the transmission. After a closer look and comparison, I actually had to radius the weld slightly on the questionable side just to get the bolt head to sit flush as it's right at the edge of the bottom corner...the OEM bracket has about 1/2" to the bottom edge from the same bolt hole.

On the mounts with the spacers, those are 034's and it's an aluminum puck that they produce...it's thinner than it looks in the pics and the motor seems to sit perfectly with them in place and the OEM trans brackets. 034 uses the same base mount and adds the spacer to the tip version, which this definitely needs for alignment so far.

Also, I updated my wording above...all pics are with the 034 tip transmission mounts with spacer that comes with them, first pics are with the audis4parts welded transmission brackets that show miss-alignment, follow up pics show the OEM transmission brackets in place, that fit perfectly and allowed the 034 heavy duty aluminum front motor mounts to settle and align as they should. Transmission and motor is level in the cradle and has proper spacing to the subframe and alignment front-rear as far as I can tell at this point.

I'll call Phil today and see what he has to say...I definitely do not want to run his that I have now as there would be a 1/2-3/4" spacer needed on one side which is far too ghetto for as much time and money that I've put into this so far...

Alright...got some solid work done today. After contemplating what to do for transmission mount brackets, I finally decided to modify the driver's side myself to get this thing moving forward. As you all know that have done a 6 speed swap, most downpipes will not clear the OEM transmission bracket on the drivers side, and cutting it is somewhat of a no-no in my book. I picked up Phil's custom made trans brackets that he sells, but was unhappy with the fit of the driver's side. Fortunately, I tend to know better, and when something is not OEM, it may need some finagling to get right..and so was the case here, so I decided to drop the motor in without the downpipes or intent of hooking anything up right off.

Long story short, the mount sat about 17mm too high on the driver's side and would have needed not only a fat spacer, but some drilling of the mount to cut the hole forward. I'll give this to Phil, that the mount hole is designed for a non RS6 swap, so without SteveKen's adapter pushing the trans back, it probably would have lined up ok front-rear. That said, Phil gave me a story about how the solid mounts up front are throwing the trans off, yada yada...I call BS on this as the OEM mounts fit perfectly fine and level...only the steel ones are a problem and only on the driver's side.

Here's where I was with everything else level and good including driveline to the rear...

Passenger side, just kissing the mount without real weight on it...

And the driver's side with required shims to get it level...

You can see the stack of shims on the left for the driver's mount...

So, after thinking of the best way to tackle this, I decided to copy the mount plate that goes on the transmission and attach via welding and a couple of bolts to Phil's version. I was able to drop it down and forward to get a pretty nice fit now that I'm happy with.

Much better now...I'll still need a couple of thin shims to get it just the way I want it, but much happier with this fit.

Now it's time to yank this thing back out and start hooking up some DP's!

Getting further along...did a final pull out so I can install the downpipes and begin to get everything hooked up. I had brain fade and only ordered 2 O2 sensors...should have ordered all 4, so the other 2 will be here early this week. Spent some time tidying things up and mainly color coding all of my harness connections with zip ties...it's been almost a year and a half since I pulled all of this apart, so I wanted to re-orient myself with how the harness will install and have everything ready to plug and play...

Did things like fine tuning the engine and trans mounts, adjusted the shift linkage, double checked the drive shaft, all of the stuff that I want to know is good before the final drop! We'll see when I have time to do the deed, but hoping within the next week or sooner...

Spent a chunk of the day yesterday working on the re-install...what a pain with the downpipes installed! If I need to pull it again, I'll definitely have some v-band clamps welded in ahead of the flex bellows. Glad at least that this was with the 6-speed...seems that the auto box would have been an even bigger hassle! Didn't get to a point to add oil and try to crank for a brief startup, but should be there with another few hours of work.

Chipping away at the mini-projects...took a few hours to start the harness re-routing and connections. Re-pinned the 2 rear O2's with the proper plugs that come with the sensors...thank you Amazon for the $15 pin pulling tool, multi color zip ties for harness matching, and the spare harness from Jolio that I've used for extra plugs, boots, and wire tracing!

Ohh, so close! Got all of the top end harness stuff and main battery connections straight, just need to connect the lower boost pipes and oil cooler adapter, add some oil, prime it, and hopefully go for a first start! Once it actually starts and doesn't puke oil out anywhere, I'll continue with hooking up the clutch fluid line & bled, power steering, etc. Give it another quick fire to be sure that the trans engages properly, then finally get the radiator installed and bled...

But, need to replace this before I load it up with fresh coolant...been sitting on the shelf for 16 months and didn't notice until today...no way that I'm going to fill this up and put it under pressure...I can feel the cracks with my fingernail, so definitely not just a visual blemish...

Also, decided to bite the bullet and grab AudiPilot's headlights and R1 diverters...

I used R1 diverters valves on my RS6 years ago and they made an obnoxious honking sound at part throttle. I ended up putting them on my Turbo Cayenne and they were nice and quiet. Maybe they've changed/updated the design.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I used R1 diverters valves on my RS6 years ago and they made an obnoxious honking sound at part throttle. I ended up putting them on my Turbo Cayenne and they were nice and quiet. Maybe they've changed/updated the design.
    Interesting...soon to find out...that is, if the car starts for me in the next day or so...

Today was a good day....

https://youtu.be/L50u3mvtIdQ

Congratsulations. I know that feeling after all that work, wondering if something isn't quite right...and then magic it works. Now I'm a little jealous, I do like that instrument cluster. Gives the car a more modern update, even better than LED tail lights.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Congratsulations. I know that feeling after all that work, wondering if something isn't quite right...and then magic it works. Now I'm a little jealous, I do like that instrument cluster. Gives the car a more modern update, even better than LED tail lights.
    Thanks! Yes, I'm a bit of an overthinker, so with the car down for so long, then going back in my mind on how many mini projects that I did over the course of that time, I was a bit stressed out for that first turn! Hoping to have a few hours a night to chip away at the extras now...

Need to:
    Install front wheel bearings (set the car down and rolled in the garage without shafts)
    Install front drive shafts and main prop shaft
    Connect power steering
    Connect front clip and all plumbing
    Connect A/C
    Final torque on all mounting bolts
    Install exhaust
    Get it out of the garage and rumble around the neighborhood!
    Mount front bumper skin/headlights, etc.

I do need to check my brake lights...when I gave the car power when I connected the battery for the first time, the brake lights came on and stay on. I need to double check a few things...I did adjust the pedal to contact the switch in various closure points, BUT...I realized after my first start that the brake fluid was low and my warning was on telling me to stop the car (fluid is too clear to see exactly how much in the reservoir!)...wondering if that would trip the brake lights? If not, I may have damaged the switch when monkeying around with the pedal install. I do have the power wire for the clutch piggybacked onto the white lead on the brake light switch pigtail, but disconnected that with no change. I'll go out and re-check this morning now that the fluid is topped off and look again...if they are still on, I'll check the brake light switch at the pedal...fingers crossed something easy...

Thanks to all for the support on this forum so far and for the awesome conversion kit from SteveKen! It's been a journey, but some of that my own making and really not that bad at this point for any of those thinking about the project.

Found my brake light issue...looks like when I removed the brake light switch on the pedal cluster to swap pedals, I damage it...super fragile! Have another on the way...about 10 supersessions, so hopefully the one that I ordered will work fine.

Got the propshaft installed yesterday, just need to do a final torque on those bolts as I ran out of time. Also replacing the front wheel bearings since I dropped it on the ground without knowing better and rolled it around (heard from others that this is a death sentence for the bearings), and installing the front driveshafts. Could technically pull the car out of the garage once this is done before hooking up any cooling system stuff. My garage is on a pretty steep grade once you cross the threshold, so I definitely need to be under power to pull it out...or it'll never go back in!

Minimal progress, but hoping for a big day on Sunday...got one of the front wheel bearings removed and the hub back on the new one...need to get that side in and torqued down with the axle in and finish the other side. Was able to do this at home with just a bearing splitter...avoided a trip to my storage unit to need the press.

I've started the car a handful of times now and let it run for 30 seconds or so...one thing that I have to say is that the throttle response is absolutely ridiculous! My son (and former owner) was over the other night and I gave him a startup rumble & he was blown away...really excited to get this monster back on the road!

I did get my new coolant reservoir installed and main propshaft aligned and torqued, so the to-do list is shrinking a little bit...
    Install brake light switch when it comes in the mail
    Finish installing front wheel bearings and axles
    Connect PS lines (and purge once front clip on with cooler lines attached)
    Connect front clip w/coolant, a/c, and p/s lines
    Fill & bleed coolant
    Install exhaust
    Install bumper skin, headlights, and fender liners

I'd love to have this thing under it's own power in and out of the garage by the end of the day on Sunday even if not drivable on the road yet...my son's wedding is next weekend, so that has been a goal of mine...so far-so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Today was a good day....

https://youtu.be/L50u3mvtIdQ
    What a feeling! Well done

Ohhh, so close! Got the wheel bearings done, axles in, and a few extra under-car BS things done...

Ready to pull the car out of the garage for the first time under it's own power...and no reverse! Playing with the linkage some more, and got some helpful info from the JHM vids including how to fine tune...hoping to find that elusive reverse today!
    I did get a push out of the garage by my son, and forward feels fantastic...nice and easy clutch and no chatter/shudder at all on the hill in 1st gear or pulling up onto the ramps. I did install a used clutch (and SteveKen kit) from Jolio that had a few thousand miles on it already before he blew up his BCY URS6 monster and went v10...so far, so good!

https://youtu.be/ZaWXTQAApqU

Update...couldn't wait for a day of work before figuring this out...did some re-adjusting and can now get reverse! Sure that my neighbors loved the straight pipe fire up at 7:30 this morning, but oh well, time to get their asses up to go to work anyway!
    Last edited by Muggy; October 4th, 2021 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Sure that my neighbors loved the straight pipe fire up at 7:30 this morning, but oh well, time to get their asses up to go to work anyway!
    They should be so lucky to start their day to that sound! If they complain you can remind them of their privilege to live adjacent to a prime example of the C5.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    They should be so lucky to start their day to that sound! If they complain you can remind them of their privilege to live adjacent to a prime example of the C5.
    Hah, so true! Seriously though, my neighbors are pretty cool about everything...and for the amount of tools and general mechanical knowledge that I share, they put up with me! I live in a neighborhood that has some waterfrontage on the Chesapeake Bay and we have a small marina with 49 slips (plus about 15 out of 100 homes that have their own piers), so with all of the boats, there's always something to fix...if you thought Audis were finicky, then get a boat!

And on a side note, a big thanks to AudiPilot for the great deal on the headlights and diverter valves!

My goal was to get the car out of the garage under it's own power by this weekend...my son's wedding is on Saturday, and I have lots of friends and family coming for an outdoor rehearsal dinner on Friday night at my house. I don't expect to have it totally finished, but my plan tonight is to get the front clip on and get some coolant in there so it can run for more than 20 seconds a day...this is probably my last evening to have some garage time before then, so fingers crossed!

Had a few hours last night to work on the car, and basically wasted my time with some rookie mistakes...I'll blame this partially on taking so damn long to get this thing re-installed and forgetting a couple of things that I had to re-do, wasting my valuable and hard to find wrench time.

First up, on Sunday while I was installing the front wheel bearings and axles, I failed and mis-marked the right and left front axles. Wheel bearings were no problem, just taking time, but I installed the longer axle on the driver's side...was a bit of a pain to get in there, but got it done. Went to the passenger side and saw immediately that it was too short...F*&K! After an extra hour+ and being annoyed with dealing with the greasy CV's, got it installed and done. For anyone thinking of doing this swap, the 6 speed axles are much closer in length to each other than the auto axles, so I mis-marked months ago when they came in and assumed that I was correct..fail!

Next up on Sunday, hoping to get the car out of the garage under it's own power, and per the vid above, didn't have the shifter aligned correctly to get into reverse. Fortunately, I did re-watch the JHM vids on alignment, and got that taken care of...mainly stress here as I forgot that the linkage shaft had adjustments both side to side and fore & aft. My shim was covering the slot, and I wasn't using my flashlight, so I didn't see the fore & aft adjustability and was getting frustrated with the single adjustment and not getting it right. In any case, all set now!

Now, last night, I had 2.5 hours free....goal was to get the front clip on and plumbed. First was to install the P/S banjos, no problem, next was to install the extra water pump under the frame horn, no problem. Then installed the intake piping and got all that set as well as installing the drive belt. Finally, brought the front clip up from the corner of the garage and grabbed my radiator hoses out of the trunk...took one look at the lower assembly and realized that I was screwed and there was no way in hell that it was going in there without removing stuff again.... Off comes the intake piping, drive belt, and alternator....got the pipe installed, and then re-installed the rest of this stuff.

Another hiccup was the plumbing for the aux radiators and deleting them...I had planned on using the pipe and hose that comes down from the coolant reservoir, keeping the one-way check valve and then tying into the nipple that comes off of the lower hose hard pipe. I saw this done with my research on the aux delete about a year ago and didn't give it any more thought. Well, once that lower pipe was in after my other hassles, there was no way that this would connect with what I had to work with. Fortunately, I did get the 034 silicone caps a while back, and was able to use those and just cap it off. I need to order one more to remove the hose off of the pipe closer to the coolant reservoir, it probably really doesn't matter, but I'd rather not have hot coolant laying in that pipe that can't circulate, so I'll cap further up to eliminate coolant from sitting in that pipe.

So, all-in all, not hateful mistakes and no damaged parts to replace, but I definitely wouldn't make these errors the second time around...just wasted some of my hard-to-find "relaxation" time to work on the car! Still hoping to get a few late evenings in to get the front end plumbed, P/S fluid in & purged, and started up to at least pull it out of the garage by Friday...having a rehearsal dinner at my house for my son's wedding on Saturday, and several friends and family coming would love to hear it fire up!

Looking a little more Audi-like...pretty much just hanging there, but getting closer!