Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Finally had a chance to get a solid several hours on the car this past weekend and hoping for another session this weekend. I decided to try another version of the aluminum "bufkin" pipe made by another vendor and had much better luck with the fit. I decided to order from Gruvenparts since they say they make them in-house, so I figured I'd have some recourse if I didn't like their version.

OEM plastic pipe, center is Gruvenparts version, right is an eBay version from "JP" (which is .4mm too large).

Next up was to get the cams installed...I fiddled with the 2 "bad" lifters that I had and even with purging and re-presurizing, they still seemed a little off compared to all of the others...decided to go with the 3 intakes on that cylinder...fingers crossed! Took my time to get the chains installed properly as I really don't want to pull it back apart for rushing through this sequence. New chains, adjuster shoes, and cam cap bolts. Now that said, I did see some telltale signs of non-OEM gasket sealer under the tensioner gasket, so my wear pattern on what I thought were the original shoes was definitely not from a 104k motor, but still glad that I have the peace of mind with new shoes!

And coming back together a bit on the front end....

Next up is to fine tune the cam timing...I'm just a hair off to my liking on getting the lock bar back on after several rotations...just need to pop the cam gears again to tweak. Once I'm happy with that, then valve covers back on and back on...this will give me a lot of my bench space back, so then on to the turbo rebuilds...

Looking great man!
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Hi Muggy - do you know a good place to get rotors and pads for a 2004 RS6. And do you recommend a certain brand? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by KBAN View Post
    Hi Muggy - do you know a good place to get rotors and pads for a 2004 RS6. And do you recommend a certain brand? Thank you
    Fortunately haven't needed to do brakes yet....I hear that the Zimmerman rotors are OEM, just without the Audi rings engraved...nistah has a set listed in the FS thread on the forum, not sure if still available but reasonably priced. For pads, I did a little research a while ago, but forget which ones were the go-to's...sorry to be vague, just personally don't have any good info on this.

Maybe someone else will chime in!

Quote Originally Posted by KBAN View Post
    Good info on pads at http://www.audirssix.com/index.php/o.../brakes-wheels

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Fortunately haven't needed to do brakes yet....I hear that the Zimmerman rotors are OEM, just without the Audi rings engraved...nistah has a set listed in the FS thread on the forum, not sure if still available but reasonably priced. For pads, I did a little research a while ago, but forget which ones were the go-to's...sorry to be vague, just personally don't have any good info on this.

Maybe someone else will chime in!
    Thank you

Thank you

Got a little more done tonight....re-adjusted the timing just a hair to get the cams lined up perfectly...

Now working on cleaning up the valve covers to get those back on and then to the turbos!

Alright....time for some updates! I actually took a day off yesterday which is extremely rare for me with the COVID mess right now and my business...my wife is my co-manager and we have 16 more full time employees and they all stepped up to kick me out for the day...

I'm going to break this up into 2 posts...first with a few questions to follow and then with the turbo rebuilds. First up is the front side buttoned up...should be ready to go here for the re-install.

Next up are a couple of questions regarding the elimination of the SAI pump, and you'll see one of my reasons pretty clearly in the photos...
    For the SAI delete, nubcake has updated my file to show a "no flow" as the norm, so should eliminate the CEL, but a question on vac routing and fuses.

First up, it looks like Audi used some of the leftover crap wiring from the old early 90's era VW's...if you've owned one, you know what I mean. The ground wires especially would corrode on the inside and then reek havoc with the electrical system...outside looked fine, but inside was copper dust...you learned to feel along the wire to get a crunchy spot and that would be one of many problems. In any case, this is not exactly the same thing, but as you can see, the sheathing has completely disintegrated on both the power and ground leads.

Question here is since I've deleted the SAI system, can I just yank the 40 amp fuse and call it a day? Hoping so!!!

Sheathing disintegrated all the way down into the loom...

40 amp SAI pump fuse is the orange one...

Next question, what should I do with vac routing up on top with the solenoid that controls the vac to the SAI Combi valves which were removed and blocked of with plates? I've heard to just loop it back (see pic) and cap off the other tee, or should I just leave the stubby s-line in there connected as OEM to the recirculation valve plumbing and unplug the power to the solenoid since it's been deleted from the tune?

(short "s" shaped vac line from tee usually connects to the solenoid on the end and the left part heads back to the Combi valves)

Any thoughts on this would be great, thanks!

Now for the fun stuff that I really wanted the whole day to just relax, listen to some tunes, and wrench for the day...balmy 72 degrees and sunny, perfect day to have the garage door open and relax. If anyone wants my tips and tricks that I learned on the turbo rebuilds, just let me know...otherwise I'll let the photos speak for themselves. No surprises here, just time for a standard rebuild using the Mellet cartridges from England.

I had a little shaft play on both of these, but no interference with the blades on the hot or cold side on either turbo. I was leaking oil on the right bank which is why I ended up taking the car off the road in the spring to tackle this entire project. The right bank turbo was pretty grimy on the inside of the hot side and I really had to work to get the oil out that had built up in there, but no real issues otherwise....

Blade damage from when I knocked the cartridge out on the bench since I had new ones...

A little photo trickery...my son gave me the Neon Audi sign for Christmas last year...reflecting on the shiny parts!

All buttoned up and waste gates adjusted, ready for some boost!

Next major project is to get the motor back on the hoist so I can get to the rear main seal plate...hopefully by this coming weekend!

Looks good! Regarding the SAI solenoid, I also had nubcake tune it out, and I did the "loopback" and capped the tee where the "S" hose is attached. Worked fine, no codes.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Looks good! Regarding the SAI solenoid, I also had nubcake tune it out, and I did the "loopback" and capped the tee where the "S" hose is attached. Worked fine, no codes.
    Excellent, just what I was hoping to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    I have the same looped line on mine and no issues here either.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Ok, so not much progress on the actual wrenching the last couple of weeks...my son bought his first house and decided that he needed a pickup instead of a Lexus. We've been working on his new-to-him 96 Toyota Tacoma v6 5spd 4x4...nice little truck with only 125k on it but needing a little love.

That said, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for the 6 speed swap while everything is out and easy to get to. I've been under the delusion that my tip box would hold up, but the more I think about it, the more likely there were a few hints that it was not too happy. After pricing torque converters and talking to a few about a rebuild, I decided to divert my funds and pick up Jolio's SteveKen conversion kit and just get it done! The car has been laid up since April/May, so it's not like a few more months will kill me. Plus I'll have more time to work on it after we get through the holiday season with my work situation. I did drive Jolio's RS6 when he had it with the same conversion, and even though I didn't ride it hard, I could tell that I would really enjoy it!

Soooo, anyone have a line on a decent 6 speed trans and swap parts....

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Ok, so not much progress on the actual wrenching the last couple of weeks...my son bought his first house and decided that he needed a pickup instead of a Lexus. We've been working on his new-to-him 96 Toyota Tacoma v6 5spd 4x4...nice little truck with only 125k on it but needing a little love.

That said, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for the 6 speed swap while everything is out and easy to get to. I've been under the delusion that my tip box would hold up, but the more I think about it, the more likely there were a few hints that it was not too happy. After pricing torque converters and talking to a few about a rebuild, I decided to divert my funds and pick up Jolio's SteveKen conversion kit and just get it done! The car has been laid up since April/May, so it's not like a few more months will kill me. Plus I'll have more time to work on it after we get through the holiday season with my work situation. I did drive Jolio's RS6 when he had it with the same conversion, and even though I didn't ride it hard, I could tell that I would really enjoy it!

Soooo, anyone have a line on a decent 6 speed trans and swap parts....

I joined just to follow along this thread. It's AudiAR01 (Seth) and the info you were asking about the exhaust housings being the same. They are 100% the exact same housing. The k03 and k04 turbos also use the same exhaust housing for each side. As well as the RS6 turbos. Audi used the same cast for both sides. The k03 exhaust housings match each other, the k04 exhaust housings match each other, and the RS6 Turbo exhaust housings match each other. Lookn forward to watching this unfold. And you swapping the 6spd in....

Hey Muggy. I’m now also doing a muggy refresh but unfortunately without muggy. Anyway did the Gruven pipe fit as it should and were you happy or should I just stick with the oem plastic?

Happy thanksgiving from Colorado everybody

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post
    Hey Muggy. I’m now also doing a muggy refresh but unfortunately without muggy. Anyway did the Gruven pipe fit as it should and were you happy or should I just stick with the oem plastic?

Happy thanksgiving from Colorado everybody
    Hah! You can do it...unfortunately mine is taking much longer than I had planned, but I'm taking my time and hopefully doing everything right!

For the Gruvenparts pipe, it does seem to fit just right...that said, the engine is still on the stand and obviously hasn't been started yet to know if it seals right or not. When installing it, it feels like the OEM pipe as far as installation feel on the o-ring size which is positive. I can't say for sure, but it also looks like Gruvenparts used the OEM o-rings, where the eBay part had skinnier o-rings.

Hope this is helpful!

That’s kind of you to say but no I can’t do it. It’s at my local Indy shop. Went in for the suction jet pump and we’re now at engine pull to get to the pipe. As well as replace intercoolers every HVAC hose. Coolant hose and intake hoses. Now that the engine is out replace all the other little bits that need the engine out. Wasn’t really in the mood to drop this much coin but as they say pay once now or pay again later. Hopefully will have 3 or 4 years of trouble free motoring as I did everything and more on the front of the motor 10,000 miles ago.

will order that Gruven pipe today. Thanks.