Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Appreciate the thoughts! At this point, I'm pretty happy...and I'm sure the more I drive it, the better feel I'll have. I'll keep fiddling and may try the throw adjustment to 10%, but happy enough to move forward on other projects.

Next up, Nubcake has been refining my tunes, so some more logging this weekend. I'm still amazed at Nub's wealth of knowledge and responsiveness...definitely a huge asset for us that have had the pleasure to work with! Thinking that I'm happy with the shifting now, and before I get too close on the tune, I should go ahead and finish up my exhaust and meth injection.

For the exhaust, I'm bored with the Milltek rear cans...way to mild for me now. I may yank those back off this weekend and get some custom work from the axle back...not open pipes, but definitely something that lets this car speak with authority when you want to hear it! I think these would be perfect on the S6 where you have the V8, but no turbos to tone down the rumble.

Also need to install the AEM V3 meth kit...I tapped the intake pipe when off for 2 nozzles and have plugs in it now, plus I ran a wire from an injector pin off of the ECU harness to use the injector duty cycle triggering option. Just need to do the simpler install parts now...hang the pump & tank, plumb it up, and do general basic wiring. At this point, I'm not thrilled with the location of the nozzles, as I'll need to keep my front carbon trim off. The location is close, but off just enough...I may pick up a spare intake pipe and re-do since I can see exactly where they should be at this point to be able to keep my trim pieces in place, but that is for another day as long as the system is functional. Other option would be to pick up a spare carbon and do a little trimming...not excited to cut my original, but would be willing to do so with an extra piece.

More updates soon, and a big thanks to all that have had input throughout the process to help me get this done!

just a question, does your speedo and everything else work as normal after the manual swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    For the exhaust, I'm bored with the Milltek rear cans...way to mild for me now. I may yank those back off this weekend and get some custom work from the axle back...not open pipes, but definitely something that lets this car speak with authority when you want to hear it! I think these would be perfect on the S6 where you have the V8, but no turbos to tone down the rumble.
    .................................................. .
    Which Miltek system do you have. Way back Miltek had a 3 inch turbo back race system; DP's, no Cats, no resonators, just rear mufflers. I have that system with a pair of 100 CEL Cats added and it is acceptably quiet around town but very noticeable under hard acceleration. It is also quiet enough at cruising speed to prevent annoyance over several days driving.

It's only hardware and that configuration from anyone should work well. Only unknown is your local emissions laws and noise regulation. It isn't that quiet under a heavy foot.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by airtite View Post
    just a question, does your speedo and everything else work as normal after the manual swap?
    Yeah, everything works as it should. Nubcake did my tune for the manual swap that took care of any ABS and Traction Control lights (plus SAI delete and more power!), so my only light that is still on is the Airbag, but that's unrelated to the tune...think it was just from sitting for 18 months without a turn of the key.

I did have to make a simple harness to connect the speed sensor on the 6 speed to one of the transmission harnesses...it's in my thread and very easy to make, but let me know if you need some tips. Speedo is spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Which Miltek system do you have. Way back Miltek had a 3 inch turbo back race system; DP's, no Cats, no resonators, just rear mufflers. I have that system with a pair of 100 CEL Cats added and it is acceptably quiet around town but very noticeable under hard acceleration. It is also quiet enough at cruising speed to prevent annoyance over several days driving.

It's only hardware and that configuration from anyone should work well. Only unknown is your local emissions laws and noise regulation. It isn't that quiet under a heavy foot.
    My car came with the Miltek catless DP's that were connected to the factory sport system with a slight reducer coupling. I picked up the non-res Miltek system a couple of years ago and bolted that up...at the time, the change was almost unnoticeable between the 2 systems except for a slightly deeper rumble at idle. I'd imagine that it has some extra roar at full throttle, but after driving around a bit with the open pipes at the rear axle, it sounds almost silent. I would definitely miss the turbo whine, snaps/cracks at redline/shifting, and downshift gurgles and pops, which is all a part of the driving experience for a fun, sunny day driver that this car is to me. I could care less about highway drone, etc., but it is getting a little annoying to get through 1st and 2nd sounding like I'm on a drag strip at every light, even with the lightest of throttle to get moving.

I love every sound out of the system without the mufflers on the manual trans, but it is just too loud for any long term setup. I may just grow up and put the Miltek mufflers back on...that said, I was never happy with the fit...I had to space the center pipe out a bit near the rear axle to get the tips to line up correctly at the back end, which would make it bump on the tunnel which was/is annoying. I have an appointment with my exhaust guy this week, and he can either do a straight pipe system, somewhat muffled, or make my Miltek fit correctly. Unfortunately with current supply chain issues, he doesn't really have anything in stock like he used to, so all mufflers or resonators need to be ordered and paid for before any trial fitting...

As far as emissions, I really should have cats in there...I may have him put some high flows in up front...I squeaked through emissions a few years ago, but am due again now and have had a few extensions since the car was off of the road. They are supposed to do a visual, but can't see under my lowered car with the mirrors...that said, I honestly can't believe that they don't have a simple camera system that looks under the car, but this is just my speculation. Tune wise, I'm hoping that I'll make it through with the SAI delete in the tune as it takes out the CEL, but not the rediness code, which may cause it to fail. All that said, I'd be a year out on an exemption if I switch to Historic registration for 20+ year old cars that limits mileage (which is no problem).

I'll follow up in a week or so once I make some decisions and get some work done!

Vastly different registration requirements here plus our historic is 30 years. I do a lot of longer distance so livability is a premium. Luckily we don't have regular inspections so you would need to be defected and have the car checked to identify any changes in emissions, but other states are different.

I'm past the valves, flaps and speaker enhanced exhausts on new cars and really like the natural product where you can drive next to a patrol car and not raise any attention and yet get some roar when it matters.

You're in a good place with your upgrade when it's items like the exhaust that are your focus.

.....I'm past the valves, flaps and speaker enhanced exhausts on new cars and really like the natural product where you can drive next to a patrol car and not raise any attention and yet get some roar when it matters.

You're in a good place with your upgrade when it's items like the exhaust that are your focus.
    So true! Since my car is 100% a fun sunny day driver, I may keep the roar in it...and could easily throw the Miltek cans back on if I do want to take a road trip at some point. And yes, nice that my biggest issues now are the sound of the exhaust...at least for now!

And agreed on the piped in "open airbox" effect...my wife's car is a couple year old Mini Cooper S, and in Sport mode, it's got the "sound effects" through the front center speaker...I think the GTI's have this too.... That said, she loves the car and it is pretty zippy with the 2.0 turbo AWD...so I leave her car ALONE!

Also, an update on my shifter adjustments since you were kind enough to give some input...I did some more re-adjusting and have it pretty good right now. I did take it to the 10% throw decrease (from the 35% that it ships set to), and it's much better. Throw difference is minimal compared to the improvement in shifting confidence now. Still a little notchy, especially at lower speeds, but much more confident on that all-important 2nd-3rd shift that really had me nervous before. Hoping that a little more driving will help to break everything in too...really only 200 or so miles on the rebuilt trans at this point with all new Audi top end synchros, etc.

My only one to compare this to for reference was my C5 A6 sedan that I had with 200k miles and probably all original transmission and linkage...it was like stirring pudding with absolutely no feedback whatsoever on what gear you were in until you let the clutch out and gave it some throttle. I'll take a little notchy to know where I am compared to that any day.

A little roll off vid...it's hard to put mufflers on this...and it is just my fun car...

https://youtu.be/RsnG2cQWP24

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    A little roll off vid...it's hard to put mufflers on this...and it is just my fun car...

https://youtu.be/RsnG2cQWP24
    Not as loud as I expected. Mine with the full race miltek is not too far off that between 1-2000 RPM. Really howls in the 5-7000 range under full throttle. Maybe my mufflers are different internally to the ones you have. Biggest plus is that on a steady throttle, it is acceptably quiet.

Got the tail end of the exhaust wrapped up...couldn't be happier!
    Milltek turbo back system with custom rears from the axle back...3" straight through resonators on the back end...

And a little sound clip...hard to record a true sound, but this one does give a pretty good feel overall. It definitely tones down the open pipes, and makes a deeper rumble overall, but keeps that turbo sing that I enjoy along with the downshift burbles and roar when it's appropriate! Mild drone at highway speed as expected, but not annoying...but this is my fun car, so I could care less about that! With the windows up, it's very quiet in the cabin...Honestly, I couldn't be happier with it! Big thanks to Jason at MBS (Mandrel Bending Solutions) in Glen Burnie, MD, for the custom work! Oh yeah, he didn't modify anything from the back axle end of the Milltek forward, meaning I can slip these off and put my Milltek cans back on in the driveway in about 20 minutes.

https://youtu.be/qYnonVheExs

Perfect. Sounds great. What is the next thing to finesse?

Perfect. Sounds great. What is the next thing to finesse?
    Next up is to install the 2Bennett coils and 034 upper adjustable control arms...then pull the RS4 wheels and have those refurbed and reskinned...then finish the meth injection install...then...then...then...

OK Muggy. Consider me impressed with both the skill and the perseverance. Sound is great too. Nice job!! I've had four new DRC shocks in my parts bin but as we all no the soft hoses from hard lines to the shock are deep into the NLA category. If you're pulling your DRC can I have your used ones soft lines. I'm contemplating seeing if someone could make me some using yours as a template. If I didn't have the shocks I'd probably go the same direction as you but don't want to just abandon the new shocks. Plus I do like the factory ride. Let me know and again congrats on getting the beast back on the road.

Much appreciated! It was depressing at times, not necessarily on hangups of the build process, but delays on parts and just lack of time on my part...I'd plan for a week to have 3-4 hours to do some work, and then something would come up that I just couldn't avoid. For months, it was definitely the red headed step child locked up in the garage, out of site, out of mind.

For the DRC parts, I think I pitched all of mine as I really didn't see any need for the leftovers. I'm usually a hoarder on old parts, but I don't think that these made the cut. That said, I'm happy to poke around my garage attic space today when I pull the car out just to be sure that I didn't stuff a box of parts up there. I had leaks most likely from the little o-rings, but the lines were heavily cracked up front as well. I'll let you know what I do or don't dig up shortly!

Also, I didn't think that I'd be able to find anyone to actually service it...the dealer couldn't even align my car right, good luck with the DRC!

I had the same issues with DRC years ago. My original was still working (I would have preferred a little lower ride height) but Audi did the recall and I thought, hey new and better DRC, maybe it will keep me from going aftermarket. I take it in for the recall and it comes out sitting a little higher in front and way higher in the rear. Took it back to the dealer and it was a little better but still not right. They obviously didn't know what to do. I took it home and within a week ripped out the DRC and installed KWV3's. The KW's are pricey but they are great, reliable, Lifetime warranty, Mx free, fully adjustable. I weighed the original DRC, lines, valves. I think the KW's came out around 20lbs lighter overall. I pulled out the cross lines too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

PM sent with details for 904474

So conflicted. SO CONFLICTED>. Help me Obi Wan you're my only hope.