Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DRC suspension upgrade for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    It’s looking like I’ll go with Bilstein B6 Performance simply due to availability — Koni’s are backordered 3-4 weeks. You are correct I do not care about ride height adjustment… Do you have any comments on the ride quality itself (stiffness, etc.)?

Also planning on Hotchkis sways to keep things better linked together.

All the feedback has been invaluable, and I’m very appreciative.

Personally, I love B6's. Excellent, top quality product. I don't have any opinion of them on stock springs, but Bilstein's have an excellent way of getting stiffer when they are bring worked hard. I found them slightly stiffer than regular upgrade shocks (H&R's, etc), but they really excelled when pushed harder. I think it's a really comfortable, but performance minded, shock. Can't go wrong with Bilstein sport's!

Have you ever thought about getting billsteins?

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinrs6 View Post
    Have you ever thought about getting billsteins?
    As a matter of fact, that's where I've decided to go... with the B6 Performance!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaGLi16v View Post
    Personally, I love B6's. Excellent, top quality product. I don't have any opinion of them on stock springs, but Bilstein's have an excellent way of getting stiffer when they are bring worked hard. I found them slightly stiffer than regular upgrade shocks (H&R's, etc), but they really excelled when pushed harder. I think it's a really comfortable, but performance minded, shock. Can't go wrong with Bilstein sport's!
    Excellent feedback... thank you for that!

Audipilot I assume we can count on you to report back on your final decision and your opinion of the ride? The more info on these kinds of things the more we all learn.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post
    Audipilot I assume we can count on you to report back on your final decision and your opinion of the ride? The more info on these kinds of things the more we all learn.

Thanks
    Absolutely! Planning the swap to Bilsteins on the 16th with the very generous help of a forum member. Will follow up!

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    Absolutely! Planning the swap to Bilsteins on the 16th with the very generous help of a forum member. Will follow up!
    We will post pics and impressions once we have completed the install tomorrow, hopefully have time to get some pics of the two cars together also..
    2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals

Good chance to compare the V3s with Bilstein

It was indeed a good chance to do that... also the 10SEC tune vs. my EPL... let’s just say I’m jealous of that tune now, and need to get a TCU tune (maybe different ECU as well), because the 10SEC/GIAC combo is pretty impressive. Then again, there’s probably some “enabling” there having Apikol intakes and much more air intake than I do.

I’m sure @kevcp will add a bunch, but he put me through the paces with a full swap out (plus rear Hotchkis — indy shop replaced the front OE posts with bolts that were impossible to access, so only did the rear) in about 10 hours of work in a single day. Was not without excitement, with a very strange strut mount that came out of the right rear... zoom in on that and check out how the strut end nut wore into the top mount. So that’ll need to come back off (using my new skills) at a future date with the proper part.

All in all, extremely grateful for the expertise generously shared today! Makes owning the car more fun and more rewarding. Oh and it turns out that only one side of my DRC had any pressure... who knew!?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61C00E78-C84D-42FF-9C0F-27C74BDC2D3C.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	19267  

Hey Audi Pilot. Are you back on the road. Also I had another question. Since you only had pressure on one side when you got to work I was wondering what the handling characteristics were. Was the car just floating along like some 60,s barge.

Thanks for asking! Not back on the road yet... car is at New German Performance outside DC... since we didn’t have the mounts ready to go when the struts were off (no idea they’d be bad, and I’m out of time, moving to CA on Saturday), I’m having the shop do it before it gets shipped next week. Fingers crossed it’ll be ready to drive upon arrival.

Having never driven any other RS6 (and without enough general experience to know what’s “off”), I honestly didn’t have anything to compare it to. @kevcp noted it was quite floaty, especially compared to his on V3s!

Wish I could have chimed in sooner on this....I changed my email and got locked out of posting permission for a while....I did the Bilsteins on mine since my DRC was blown when I bought it (knew this already) and the car came with a boxed set of H&R sport springs in the trunk, ready to install. Overall, I'm happy, especially since I picked up a brand new set of shocks and all mounting hardware, rubber bits, bolts, etc. for about $800.00 all in (since I had springs) from an Audizine member. The car rides well on the road, not too harsh, but it could use a little firmer hold on the curves...still a little boat like on long sweeping curves. I was way outgunned by a new Golf R, not for lack of power, but for me not wanting to plow off of the road on 100 mph curves. I do have upgraded H-Sport sways front and rear as well. As I mentioned, for the price, definitely great (and a nice drop too), but if I had to do again, I'd go V3's or 2Bennets...

Audi Pilot

increase damping if you’re able to adjust the struts

RS6 needs more damping on the front from stock setup. Even the V3s need 2-3 clicks more damping

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Audi Pilot

increase damping if you’re able to adjust the struts

RS6 needs more damping on the front from stock setup. Even the V3s need 2-3 clicks more damping
    I appreciate that input. Unless I’m mistaken, the Bilstein B6 doesn’t have any damping adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    I was way outgunned by a new Golf R, not for lack of power, but for me not wanting to plow off of the road on 100 mph curves. I do have upgraded H-Sport sways front and rear as well. As I mentioned, for the price, definitely great (and a nice drop too), but if I had to do again, I'd go V3's or 2Bennets...
    Good call on that choice against the Golf... Even a quick drive on the V3’s was enough to know they’re the real deal, the price was just to steep for me at this moment in time. And you definitely beat me on your “all in” price for the B6s... But I’ll enjoy them when I have the car back, and sometime down the road when there’s some surplus maybe I’ll pop for the V3s! Your car looks great!

Thanks!...I love the car and it is certainly not a disappointment, but I know it could handle better. At the time, $$$ was a factor, so it was 100% the right choice at that point to get the car back on the road...it was blowing fluid all over the front rotor from the soft line and making a mess of the brakes and wheel, so not really drivable at all at that point.

Good call on NGP...I love the guys up at Aberdeen and I'm sure they are just as good at the Lorton shop...just had them align mine finally after a year and a mega-failed alignment at the local stealership! They'd be a first call for any paid work, but I try to do as much as I can myself, including an engine pull in the next week or two...

Late to this thread. Obviously per the other post I made today I went with 2Bennett’s package. Only back 4 days so no real “testing” until new brakes properly bedded. But so far I am super pleased. Good solid control maybe a bit stiffer than what I vaguely remember working DRC to be. Happy with my pick.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

The Koni Yellow struts work amazingly well with the stock springs, decent ride height also. If I do go coilovers it will be the Billstein PSS9 as they are reviewed for great comfort/performance for those wanting a sporty ride that isn't too harsh.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com