Thread: RS6 Climate Control Panel (replacement)

RS6 Climate Control Panel (replacement)

Finally got around to replacing my climate control panel as it bugged me that the +/- buttons were starting to resemble something else.

The RS6 climate control panel part number is: 4B0-820-043AM
    When I ordered the part from a supplier I did not have the right part number in hand. I only asked for the climate control panel for a 2003 RS6, and one that had heated seats. Unfortunately I had not noticed they sent me part number '4B0-820-043AR', which looks identical but the internal electronics are not quite so.
    Basically the incorrect part number would keep the climate controller in 'Econo mode' and the AC would never turn on. You could mess around with anything else otherwise. Even though upon removing my RS6 climate control panel showed me a different part number, I figured I'd try the new one just in case it was simply a newer part number. Everything looked identical otherwise.

Here is the front fascia of my stock unit:

Given my findings were not what I had expected, I figured I would try to take my own stock unit apart. Looked around my source of tools and found that I needed a Torx T6 to access the internals of the system.

There are 9 T6-sized bolts on the outer edge in the back of the unit. Removed all 9.

The face plate comes apart and attached to it is the electronic board, which is attached through a ribbon-connector to another controller.
    The fascia and the board attached to it is matted with another 9 T6-sized bolts show below.

Once I was able to remove the fascia I figured I could use all default stock electronics and simply connect the new fascia. So I decided to take the other climate control panel apart as well in the same fashion. I decided to replace the little fan and sensor that is shown in the image above as the black cylinder unit at the center of the board. That is being held by 2 phillips heads bolts.

I put it all back together in the reverse order. The unit remained the stock one regarding the electronics, and only used the new fascia and fan/sensor item.
    All back in the car and working as it should.

Taking the climate control panel requires 4 radio removal tools. You can get it usually online really cheap or a dealer.
    Once the radio comes out you will see 2 bolts that hold the climate control panel at the section of the panel, at the corners. Once these bolts are removed, it does require a bit of force to pull the darn panel out. I recommend putting the shift lever in 'N', hand brake on, and that gives you a bit of room to play.

I think I am done for now.... that is until the Recaros come back from upholstery shop!!!

Nene

nice write up and solution. If anyone needs climate control units I have a couple of them.

Here is the Vagcom scan of mine. Looks like mine is part number AR.
    Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 4B0-820-043-MY2.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 820 043 AR
    Component: A6-Klimavollautomat 0208
    Coding: 00010
    Shop #: WSC 00000
    VCID: 6AD0CDE916E2CD4E253-256C
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

That is interesting @hahnmgh63. I would have not expected some cars to have one set of parts and others be different given our low one-year run of RS6 vehicles.
    The '*-AR' unit did not work on my car. The AC did not work. It was stuck on 'Eco' mode and when I went over 45 miles/hour it would let warm air into the cabin even with the climate control panel entirely off. I would have to close the vents.

For any folks that need a unit, it probably makes sense to check which part you have using Vagcom if available, or simply just remove the radio to check it if you do not have Vagcom.

Has anyone ever tried just replacing the +\— buttons.

With the faceplate off I tried that. It did not seem to be easy without possibly breaking something. Also getting the same buttons in the right color matching after 17 years of usage, I think it would look a bit off.

I even tried ordering online all new stickers for the buttons. That was mistake, and glad it was not too expensive.
    It all comes down on how you want to keep the car. I lived with the control panel looking like that for a few years. Eventually just decided to get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post
    Has anyone ever tried just replacing the +\— buttons.

Replaced just the -/+ buttons a few years back. The finish is slightly different, but almost impossible to tell but it will never wear off like the original buttons. I had sourced a unit from an earlier A6 and swapped them, pretty straight forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200515_201317.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	19210  
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

The dash is still by far my favorite mod, makes the dash feel 10 years newer.

Really customizable and loads of car info at your fingertips. Although i usually run with just the speed displayed as it Makes it easier to keep the beast within legal limits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200515_201838.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	19211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200515_201357.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	19212  
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    The dash is still by far my favorite mod, makes the dash feel 10 years newer.
    Really customizable and loads of car info at your fingertips. Although i usually run with just the speed displayed as it Makes it easier to keep the beast within legal limits.
    That is an awesome look. Where did you have that done at?

Quote Originally Posted by strlgag View Post
    http://colormfa.ru/en/

AutoSpeed in NJ does it for $1k with your cluster shipped to them (https://autospeed.us/). I haven’t done it yet, but plan to. I got a strong referral to Mark, who owns the shop, and he was very prompt in responding to my inquiries.

It does appear the '+/-' buttons do come off.
    Using a feeler gauge at the top of the button the button just flips out. And the replacements just push back in.
    No need to remove the radio or the climate control unit. If you can find another unit cheap where the buttons are looking good, this may be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by strlgag View Post
    There was nobody in Canada to do it at the time and I wasn't going to attempt it .
    I sourced another temporary cluster, coded that to my car so I could use it in the mean time.
    Nubcake was a HUGE help in this and he took care of it when it was sent to Russia to be done.
    Can't say enough about nubcake, awesome fella. It was gone a couple of months but was alot cheaper than a $1000 for sure.
    Some mods you do are just so worth it for the money, and this was one of them hands down.

Probably best to shift the cluster mod discussion here, so as not to hijack nene’s helpful thread!

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    Probably best to shift the cluster mod discussion here, so as not to hijack nene’s helpful thread!

Agreed, i didnt mean too, just had the camera handy and got snap happy!.

Don't mind me. I love cool mods, and like that everyone shares their list. Now something else to consider