Thread: RS6 flat-bottom steering wheel - finally installed

RS6 flat-bottom steering wheel - finally installed

Finally got around to getting the RS6 flat-bottom steering wheel. Certainly took me long enough.
    After the installation the 'air bag' light came on but it was no match for the clearing of the code using our trusted vag-com tool.
    I unplugged the battery to avoid any mishaps while handling the airbag. That would have not been a pretty sight. But forgot to go back and set the time & date before I took a snapshot of the handy work. Easily fixed.

Click the image if you want to see a larger one.

Very nice! Is that a reworked stock steering wheel?
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Niocee dude I have the same one ordered it from that polish guy in Europe very good craftsmanship he does can’t wait to instal mines

I purchased it from DHall1 forum member: Original Link
    It seems a bit smaller in diameter from a stock RS6 steering wheel. Definitely much thicker though and fun to grab onto. After so many years of holding onto a stock steering wheel, it does feel strange at first holding this one while driving. But I bet that is a similar feeling for many other new things.

An important note is that I had to remove my stock paddles and install on this new steering wheel. The paddles that came with it did not plug into existing RS6 setup. But that was an easy swap.

That looks good, I have a stock wheel being wrapped in Alcantara and should be ready soon..
    2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    An important note is that I had to remove my stock paddles and install on this new steering wheel. The paddles that came with it did not plug into existing RS6 setup. But that was an easy swap.
    Having personally benefitted extensively from your step-by-step for the RNS-E install (I literally had it printed out in the car with me, flipping back and forth), can we look forward to something similar from your steering wheel swap?

I should have done a write up on the steering wheel removal, but I went over a couple of videos on YouTube and just took mental notes. Was lazy to do my own write up.

Removal of the airbag

Removal of steering wheel

Once you have the steering wheel removed, the paddles are held by 2 bolts and easy to remove and swap.
    Do one at a time. At one point I took one out and put it back on the same steering wheel leaving me head scratching why the wires were not going to work. Had a good laugh once I realized my mistake. Wasted 5 minutes but worth a good laugh.

After a whole week with the new steering wheel it feels great. The beefy and soft leather just feels so good.

Thanks for that, and for the easy links! That guy has the best C5 part removal videos, I’ve used them extensively.

Looks Awesome Nene, this is probably going to be my next mod, another one of those great mods for the money.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Looks amazing, really liking the setup!

Very nice, might have to get one myself. The seller has some great options and the work looks top notch!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com