Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission annoyances

Transmission annoyances

Greetings from Colorado,

Hopefully everyone is staying healthy out there during this zombie apocalypse.

So got the old girl out for the spring and summer driving season yesterday and having predictable transmission issues. Last fall I had the full tranny service. Drain, filter and refill. Since then when the car is cold the transmission stumbles when shifting from 1-2 and sometimes 3-4 when under harder acceleration. Under light loads no stumbling. However after all the fluids are up to temp the transmission works as designed under all loads. So I immediately thought low on trans fluid. Took it in for a recheck and they confirmed it was low and I had a small leak. Replaced a seal and sender or something. Can't remember exactly without digging out invoice. Anyway it still has the same stumbling issue when its not up to temp. My money is still on low fluids. The indy shop I use has plenty of Audi experience and is well versed in the scope of work involved in trans fluid replacement. Anyone in the community brain trust care to weigh in?

Thanks.

The fluid level test is easy with VAGCOM, have them double check. I've found I needed a half quart or so after all fluids settle, into a new trans that is.

I would assume, but just my bias, that your clutch packs are toast. Many times the old gunky fluid helps to keep friction on the old worn clutch discs; add new slippery fluid and you get slippage. Once temps are up maybe your clutch discs get a bit stickier, dunno.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sometimes, when the wrong filter is fitted, it can get sqished and cracked at the pickup. Something with the sump depth & different trans versions. Anyway, this can cause pickup to get uncovered, so trans sucks air instead of ATF. Had happened to my car a while ago.

Judging by the fact you started having issues after the filter change - it's a definite possibility, if it was working fine previously.

What Nubcake said. Depending on the brand of filters there are some with different lengths on the oil pickup side. In the past there were folks that automatically cut 1/4" off the filter pickup. If there is any kind of dent in the bottom of your pan then it may very well have an affect on your oil pickup.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

And as the fluid warms the pick up flow increases? What kind of fluid pressure if any does a transmission run. I always hate second guessing the professionals but will bring it up with them. Really hate feel like I’m walking on egg shells around this transmission. I had a 1990 Audi V8 that I maintained by the book and then some and flogged it for 260000 miles and it never missed a beat. I miss the olden times. And the worst part is from what I’ve read there’s not a whole lot I can do to beef up this transmission. I would gladly drop the coin if it could be rebuilt for worry free use of the right pedal.

Thanks for the insight guys. I’ll report back.

Yea, the engines are pretty bullet proof, the transmissions not so much.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post
    And as the fluid warms the pick up flow increases? What kind of fluid pressure if any does a transmission run. I always hate second guessing the professionals but will bring it up with them. Really hate feel like I’m walking on egg shells around this transmission. I had a 1990 Audi V8 that I maintained by the book and then some and flogged it for 260000 miles and it never missed a beat. I miss the olden times. And the worst part is from what I’ve read there’s not a whole lot I can do to beef up this transmission. I would gladly drop the coin if it could be rebuilt for worry free use of the right pedal.

Thanks for the insight guys. I’ll report back.
    AMD in Seattle, WA. They are saying their auto rebuild can handle 600/600. I'll be having them do my next one if needed. There are other shops that can do improved rebuilds with better clutch plates and other internal pieces, along with valve body improvements. I can tell you my trans from Tozo now shifts very crisp in Sport.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I sent my Auto years ago to 517 and felt it shifted better when it came back but it still never felt like it hooked up as well as say a GM Turbo 400. Seemed like you could feel slip occasionally and sometimes the boost just wouldn't be there. Always made me wonder if the TCU was part of the problem (I had Hoppen Motorsports do the MTM chip). Now with the manual and a great tune from Nubcake it just pulls like never before. I always said if Quattro Gmbh would have worked with ZF on the 6HP they would have sold more RS6's and more drivers would have been pleased. 6HP shifts better, has the extra gear, and it weighs less than the 5HP.
    Roy, WA

6hp is so much better.
    Unfortunately, you can't easily fit anything, but a 6hp19, which is just too weak.

No doubt the auto is the biggest weakness of this awesome car.
    The manual was and is never an option for me as ive never been a fan of the 01E.
    Ill just stick with the auto, drive according and rebuild when the time comes.
    By that time (2023) the c6 will be available to import and that thi g is crazy, cant wait.!!!
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

So I was surprised to learn you can still get a new transmission from Audi USA with a core charge and I'm assuming some sort of warranty/. Is that more logical then a rebuild of mine? And the "if its worth doing its worth overdoing" side of me says buy a new one and have that beefed up by Tozo or another reputable shop? Is that just crazy thinking?

So I was surprised to learn you can still get a new transmission from Audi USA with a core charge and I'm assuming some sort of warranty/. Is that more logical then a rebuild of mine? And the "if its worth doing its worth overdoing" side of me says buy a new one and have that beefed up by Tozo or another reputable shop? Is that just crazy thinking?
    Interesting to know...any idea of a price? If the OEM cam chain tensioner price is used for comparison, the trans will be about $10k from Audi. I do have a spare in my storage thanks to Jolio, but would want to rebuild before going through the trouble of a swap when needed.

Audi New Orleans web site says 5400.00 plus 1200 for core deposit.

From what I've read and heard others talk about I would go with the AMD rebuild as they are taking more steps than others, along with having a very good technical reputation. They have acquired the strongest clutch packs that I've seen so far, and from an owner who has worn out two transmissions that was what failed.

AMD is tough to get a hold of but if you're talking the money of a transmission rebuild they would probably be easier to get a hold of.
    Roy, WA

For what it’s worth, my RS6 got a new Audi transmission under warranty at 64k miles. A subsequent owner bought an EPL stage 1 tune at 92k miles, and within 7 months and 5k miles apparently thrashed it, because it was towed to New Jersey at 98k miles for a 700hp-rated Level 10 rebuild. Level 10 has been responsive to the questions I’ve had about the rebuild, and I imagine they’d be helpful if you buy one of their $6,200 (from scratch) or $4,298 (send-in) “bulletproof” transmissions (https://www.levelten.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=30). They say they can build up to 1000hp, take that as you will.

The rebuild now has 19k miles on it (only 3k from me), and shifts cleanly with no codes (I scan at least monthly). Just an option, lots of opinions out there!

Will explore more options. Techs I use are Going to check ATF level one more time.

I’ve always been a believer in stock is best. I always thought our German friends over engineered everything but I guess this transmission got the cold shoulder. I enjoy the car as is and would just like to enjoy it as long and as happily as I did my old 1990 V8. I’m a hanger oner when it comes to cars. Unfortunately I don’t have the time or more importantly the skill set of all you hardcore wrenchers. I look into that engine shoehorned in there and all those hoses, wires, sensors, pipes and so on. I’d be the guy with a dozen bolts left over with no home at the end. I applaud all of you. I’ll report back after they check the fluid and in the meantime do my tranny research.

Stay healthy everyone.

Germans do over engineer many things, the 5HP was probably over engineered for whatever was it's first intended application but....Quattro Gmbh used it as an off the shelf transmission version that came out of the Audi A8 W12. The W12 was rated at the same bhp and slightly less Torque than the RS6 so they probably thought they were good to go. But The W12 had only been out for a year with its version of the 5HP24 and the W12's were already starting to have transmission issues. So in this case it was and engineering mistake, the 5HP was beefed up a little to handle the W12 but history has shown that it was not enough for the W12 or RS6 in the long term, especially when adding even more Torque.
    Roy, WA