Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a few carbon pieces

Replacing a few carbon pieces

Anybody have a good source for some of the interior carbon pieces? I'm going to try and replace my shifter surround and ashtray as they are showing a bit of yellowing on the edge. The rest of my carbon is perfect, so either this area gets more sun or heat, not sure why it's yellowed a touch.

Difficulty of replacing the shifter surround?

Thanks!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I got my pieces from bks-tuning in Germany and our very own Dave Hall
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Did someone say carbon.

oh la la

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F905E3AC-70C8-4858-9C3D-CF05256454B2.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	19155  

The shift surround is actually pretty easy to remove, it comes up from the rear left edge (using a plastic trim tool) and then just sort of pops up and out as you carefully lift it. Then you slide it back a little bit as you work it out. I followed this video: https://youtu.be/y4ZciccmeFI, and didn’t break anything! I pulled it because I replaced the ashtray itself, and the shifter trim needs to be removed to do so.

As for OE replacements, I’ve rarely seen the CF shifter surround, if ever. I’m currently in the process of sending my passenger glovebox trim to a shop to try and repair the cracking... I can report back how it goes and see if they can repair yellowing... unless the OE resin is important to you.

DHall1 - that looks very nice! Where did you source it, or were yours redone/repaired somewhere? I've got significant cracking on several of my carbon fiber interior trims, and would like to repair or replace.

Look at the mats...it's a Q7...he's just teasing with the carbon...

On the flip side, here's my nice OEM RS6 original trim...Sorry that I don't have a source for replacement parts...

Reach out to Robert@bks-tuning.com
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Nice catch muggy

That is oem carbon I sourced from Europe for my Q7 TDI. US spec S- line trim was brushed aluminum but I just like carbon. So, I hunted for a oem set from Europe for over a year. All my Audi’s have oem carbon. Q7 carbon is extremely rare only found on V12 TDIs in Europe.
    Last edited by DHall1; April 7th, 2020 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Nice catch muggy

That is oem carbon I sourced from Europe for my Q7 TDI. S- line trim was brushed aluminum but I just like carbon. All my Audi’s have oem carbon. Q7 carbon is extremely rare only found on V12 TDIs in Europe.
    Caught the Q7, but must say I didn't know about the rarity...agree that carbon is fantastic...and a V12 TDI...

Great looking carbon fiber - even if it is in a Q7

Thanks Cmnair - I'll give that a try

These guys seem to have a handful of the new carbon pieces in stock. Here's the carbon shifter surround do believe. Mine is just yellowed a bit where it curves under the ashtray.

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sh...oduct=5614414#
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Unfortunately seems as though that email might be defunct (returned undeliverable)... I searched their website for the P/N of the dashboard/glovebox trim (4B1853190) and came up with out of stock for every variation! As I mentioned above I was going to try and have it repaired, but am told the cracking is down to the CF and repair is not possible. It's crazy to me how some are pristine, others (like mine) are a spiderweb... maybe just the difference between garage-kept and parked in the sun for 16 years.

I would reach out to these guys, they are known to do awesome work:

https://ocarbon.com/collections/audi...-interior-trim

Try info@bks-tuning.com. Even though it may not be listed they can source

I just picked up a set of mint C5 RS6 carbon fiber trim, I will ask if he has any more sets available..
    2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals

Quote Originally Posted by kevcp View Post
    I just picked up a set of mint C5 RS6 carbon fiber trim, I will ask if he has any more sets available..
    I appreciate it, thanks! Also reached out to that updated email and will check out ocarbon. Thanks, all!

He said he has one more set that is nearly perfect, a small chip in the corner of the dash piece.. The other set he has is cracked so not really an option.
    2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals