Thread: Head refurb on the RS6

Head refurb on the RS6

Any machine shops out there that anyone has had good experience with for the RS6 heads? Thinking that I'm due as I had a tapping lifter (which an oil change helped), but still get some smoke after warm up before driving...usually gives a bit of a puff on bank 2 with the first acceleration or two, then clears out. Since it clears, I think the turbos should be ok, but would probably at least do a rebuild or CHRA's while the motor is pulled for head work. I'm running the Milltek exhaust, so no crossover pipe to mix the exhaust. I also have a nosier chain/tensioner on the same side that I'd like to investigate as well...I know that the cam phasing rattle at 1-1.2k rpms is supposed to be "normal" and my vagcom readings are good, but it still seems like that same bank is a bit noiser than the driver's side. Car is still very drivable, but I do like to enjoy nubcake's stage 2 tune if you get my drift...

Headgames in Jersey came up on my search that did the 8 second USP car, but the site says they don't handle 5 valve heads...

Thanks for your input, Eric

Have your cam chain tensioners been replaced yet?

If not, I'd get in there before failure catches you at a bad time. They have been failing for most everyone the last few years.

I'd double check how well they are working with VCDS logs, will show the angle, and you can somewhat determine wear based off that. But the noise is a good indicator too...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks for your input...I don't know the history on the tensioners, but would assume that they have not been done. I checked the angles last summer while trying to diagnose a poor running condition (vacuum leak in the end), which were well within specs, but feel that a check again would be pertinent. That said, I know these 18 year old plastic pieces can disintegrate at any time...

I've been torn on doing just those or going whole hog with a motor pull to do the CHRA's, head refurb, and all...time to start collecting parts either way.
    Fortunately, my wife's cousin has a spare double car garage on his property about 20 minutes away that he cleared out for me to use as long as I want...

If you want a high performance rebuild try EBS racing in Reno NV. Not cheap though and more of a Porsche specialty shop but they've got all of the latest machines and flow benches to do it right.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Makes absolutely no sense to do a high performance head rebuild with stock ancillaries, however.
    Don't waste money.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts...

I've gone down the slippery slope before on another car with "if I'm doing this, then I better do that"...not looking to do more than nubcake's tune, TCU tune, Milltek catless DP's and full non-res exhaust, and Wagner IC's that are already installed. At this point, I'd just like to to a quality head refurb, CHRA replacements, and general maintenance such as cam chains & shoes, small oil leak repairs, etc.

Question for those in the know...
    Any thoughts on stock head gaskets or the TTE head gaskets that lower compression to 9.2:1, or will that kill some low end torque with lower compression on the V8?
    Any experience with Turbo Rebuild Unlimited's CHRA's that are listed as "remap" or stick with their stock Melett cartridges?

Thanks again for any thoughts...

Stock headgaskets only.
    Stock CHRAs only, unless you're going for injectors/fuel pump & a retune.
    But then it's also advised to upgrade intake. But then your trans will likely give up it's ghost. You get the idea.
    Last edited by nubcake; February 27th, 2020 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Stock headgaskets only.
    Stock CHRAs only, unless you're going for injectors/fuel pump & a retune.
    But then it's also advised to upgrade intake. But then your trans will likely give out it's ghost. You get the idea.
    Thanks nubcake....I appreciate the thoughts. Loving the car with your tune at this point, so it sounds like an OEM rebuild to me...also helps save a bit of $$$ on parts...