Thread: Most comprehensive timing belt kit offered & fair cost to pay indie for labor on job

Most comprehensive timing belt kit offered & fair cost to pay indie for labor on job

As the title states I am looking for the highest quality, most comprehensive timing kit offered by various parts sources in the trade.
    In addition I will also need valve covers as mine are weeping a bit.

Suggestions on anything else to replace while the timing belt is being serviced would also be helpful. Finally how much is a fair price to pay my mechanic (former Audi dealership independent) he always asks me to give what I think is best and I want to have a fair amount to pay him. I typically buy and bring parts so the payment to mechanic would be based on labor.

If this question already exists in asked and answered form please point me to it, otherwise opinions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

I went through Audi to get my parts, wanted to keep OEM when it came to parts, but on top of the full timing belt kit (guides, tensioners, idlers, belt, water pump, thermostat etc) i also had an oil change kit (except the oil i use Liquid Molly), air filter, lower inter cooler hoses, coolant, coolant temp sensor, accessory belt and pulley, one CV boot and power steering fluid and a couple other small things. That came to $900 total so assuming you just do the timing belt kit only it should be less?

For the labor, i had it done as well by a Master Audi tech on the side, but i believe he hangs around here time to time so i am not going to discuss his pricing in the open lol.

I always believed that the water pump should be replaced with the timing belt service. If it goes bad between timing belt service intervals, all of that needs to be disassembled to replace the water pump.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

I bought my kit from Blauparts. Good price, OEM components. Haven't installed it yet, but I plan on doing it myself. I was a certified Audi tech, back in 2015.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    I bought my kit from Blauparts. Good price, OEM components. Haven't installed it yet, but I plan on doing it myself. I was a certified Audi tech, back in 2015.
    Too bad you weren't closer

I'm sure you will do fine
    2003 Audi RS6
    Daytona Grey
    APR EMCS

I also replace the bolt on both small rollers as well as the larger one on the tensioner. There was someone on here years back that had the tensioner bolt brake and of course bad things happen. Cheap piece of insurance for a bolt that may have stretched/weakened a little.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post

Right on, I am trying to decide between ECS, Blauparts and Europa:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...078109119jkt4/

https://www.blauparts.com/audi-rs6-t...-42l-plus.html

https://www.europaparts.com/timing-b...8-d2-4-2l.html

I am not really knowledgeable about the details and it seems the ECS kit is a lot less money, guessing it's you get what you pay for...however interestingly enough it seems that ECS is the only vendor of the three to offer the Gates Racing Belt which I heard is better than stock, all in w/ the the Gates from ECS is about $200 less than other 2, can someone lend some subject matter expertise to help me figure which direction to take my business on this part purchase? Appreciate it and my Beast which just rolled 133K thanks you in advance!!!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

I've heard the gates racing belts tend to be noisy, squeaking and such. I'll take a continental belt any day.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I continually buy from FCPEuro. Never have issues and love the fact it has a lifetime warranty. So the next timing belt kits are freeeeeeeee.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...it-oem#reviews