Thread: Wet Driver's Side A-Pillar... Help Wanted!

Threaded View

Wet Driver's Side A-Pillar... Help Wanted!

After a search on the forum (via Google, not the integrated site search) I didn't see anything specific to this... Here are the facts:

- I've owned the car a month and it's been kept out of the rain.
    - Today I picked up my car from the body shop after they reattached some door molding (unrelated to the windshield).
    - They did a quick wash (the only source of water recently) and the driver's A-pillar was freshly saturated afterwards.
    - I checked the left sunroof drain (trimmer line went straight through and came out totally clean -- I also can't imagine getting enough water in the sunroof seal from a quick wash like that for the sunroof drain to be a potential source).

Based on the way the water was propagating it seems like it would be coming from behind the windshield along the left vertical edge -- wetness was concentrated on the "middle" of the A-pillar, not confined to the top or bottom. Could it be entering a bad windshield seal after running down the circled channel? Is there anything else behind there that might need addressing once the windshield comes out and before a new one goes in?

The moisture was concentrated along the oval-circled section of the A-pillar.

But then a well-recommended windshield shop says it's very rare for a windshield to just "suddenly start leaking" (though I have no way of knowing how long it has been leaking as a new owner). They say, "we'll replace your windshield and guarantee it doesn't leak, but that doesn't guarantee the car won't leak in general." Of course, that's fair.

Suggestions welcome! The windshield is pretty blasted anyway so I could replace it, I just want to be sure I don't go after the wrong thing for no reason. Thank you for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	19041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	19042